VT - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: VT

Originally posted by treide
    ... but this guy apparently had a history of mental illness and had written some fairly disturbing stuff in his courses. Tragically it seems like some red flags went unnoticed.
    Hey! I fit that description. :D Yet, I\'m not a mass murderer. I don\'t think its so much a case of missing red flags. Despite what people think we\'re not really so good at predicting who\'s going to do what except in hindsight.

Originally posted by dauber22Hey! I fit that description. :D Yet, I\'m not a mass murderer.
    yet. Bring on the Future Crimes unit!

I think a suitable time has passed...

I\'d be interested in hearing the political thought behind this.

I\'m also shocked by how little this had an impact on me....shocked and embarrassed. When Columbine happened I remember feeling like someone socked me in the gut...it was awful. This time, I just shook my head and kind of dismissed it....That\'s appalling.
    It really only struck me when I started looking at the names (and ages) of the victims...God what a horrible tragedy.

Have I become desensitized to this sort of thing, or am I just a callous bastard?

Originally posted by Dammekkos2
    Without political and social commentary, what is left? A condolances thread?
    I dunno, we could command the perpetrator for this impressive body count maybe, nice shooting there tex. :mad:

I would be sensible to this if it happened to me or someone I know, apart from that, such events are the logical consequences of the lifestyle you/we indulge, Virginia is pro firearm all the way, now suffer it.
    It\'s in my view a GOOD thing that the perpetrator is not a muslim, or from one of those so called rogue nations, this might knock some sense into some people\'s head.

Sorry for all those directly or undirectly affected by the event, but that\'s what I taught. Condoleances can be carried on in many other fashions.
    Let the scaring begin, until next time.

Originally posted by supervike
    It really only struck me when I started looking at the names (and ages) of the victims...God what a horrible tragedy.
    The thing that brought tears to my eyes was the 76 year old scientist and lecturer who survived the Holocaust, communis Rumania, and who gave his life by throwing his body against the door to hold back the shooter while the students could escape out the windows.

Originally posted by vincegamer
    The thing that brought tears to my eyes was the 76 year old scientist and lecturer who survived the Holocaust, communis Rumania, and who gave his life by throwing his body against the door to hold back the shooter while the students could escape out the windows.
    I am more angry about the teens and twenty-sometings. 76 is a good age, although by the sounds of it he could have made 100 if he was still lecturing at 76.

People are already writing shit on their Myspace pages, from meaningless sobs to sickening jokes and insults, it makes me despair.

My sister called me, the instant thought, Shit, Becca!...could it expand to other colleges?
    I went online for all the information I could find (something I now take for granted, instant information)

I got away from the news hype by finding the college online paper.
    With rapid updates from an internal source. Collegiate Times that seemed to help me the most.

I did not sleep till 5 that morning, just built up stress and that odd feeling of being a grain of sand on the beach, any one else get that feeling?

My warped life has taught me not to take minutes for granted, but things like this refresh that.
    It was not until last night I actually teared, I looked at the update they added a LIST

They are \"Becca\'s\"

The facebook like pictures made the impact for me , the danger of society social living, you only have so many heartbeats but to have such ambitious youth cut so short. Sad

Vike could you be aging?
    You have seen it before and have no provocation to personally relate. Many things that shocked me before, say even just 5 years ago, I now look at with a different glint. Just a thought I have no way of knowing.

DR your to cool for words.

VInce that man died a hero after a life of being a survivor, He must have been a hell of a man.

Please, nobody feel bad if this kind of news doesn\'t really strike you personally. You likely didn\'t know the victims, any more than you knew the people killed in Africa or the Middle East on that day. The demand that you experience paroxysms of grief over the demise of strangers is a highly media-driven one, perpetuated to sell newspapers and TV spots. This doesn\'t mean it\'s not a tragedy, but why worry if you didn\'t feel a specific way when you heard about it?

Originally posted by GreenOne
    It\'s in my view a GOOD thing that the perpetrator is not a muslim, or from one of those so called rogue nations, this might knock some sense into some people\'s head.
    I was saddened and angered when I read certain comments on the web from people whose first assumption after any major event seems to be \"OMG teh Muslims did it!\". It reminded me that the smart, educated, liberal-minded (not necessarily in the political sense) people I hang out with are not the sum of humanity. There are some extremely mean, stupid people out there. And as you imply, sensible people know that monsters and saints come in all shapes and sizes.

I\'m also shocked by how little this had an impact on me....shocked and embarrassed. When Columbine happened I remember feeling like someone socked me in the gut...it was awful. This time, I just shook my head and kind of dismissed it....That\'s appalling.

Have I become desensitized to this sort of thing, or am I just a callous bastard?
    I don\'t think you are callous at all, I\'d say you probably have perspective.

30 or so people die due to a troubled soul with some weapons - it\'s not exactly pleasant, but it is of such minor importance and scale in the grand scheme of things, why on earth should you feel that it is something that should have a great impact on you?

There are far more devestating, yet less newsworthy things happening each day. All those deaths, they still don\'t add up to 1% of people who have died from AIDS in that same day for example. Are you a callous bastard because that thought doesn\'t make you worry each night?

Ultimately it\'s more difficult to make snazzy, riviting, 24 hour news reporting on something like that, so the media aren\'t telling you that you should be deeply affected by it.

An event like the university shooting, thats a glamourous tradgedy though, and it\'s something that is easier for most folks to relate to (as in TAB\'s \'shit, Becca!\' response. Understandable, but I\'d guess she\'s still more at risk of getting hit by a car than shot at University, yet you probably don\'t find yourself worrying about that).

This is an event where you can easily be instructed and directed to feel a deep emotional response by the media. But just because they are touting it as a tragedy that should have some profound influence on the nation, it doesn\'t necessarily make it true. The death of Princess Diana was labeled as a national tradgedy here in the UK, but beyond a brief thought for her kids it had no further impact on my life. For about the next month though I felt almost like a brute because all of the media outlets went so overboard on the grieving nation angle. The BBC even ended up appologising for this if I remember correctly.

There are waaay bigger things to be concerned about than this.

Originally posted by lono(as in TAB\'s \'shit, Becca!\' response. Understandable, but I\'d guess she\'s still more at risk of getting hit by a car than shot at University, yet you probably don\'t find yourself worrying about that).
    TAB is a mother. I would wager she does worry about that.

My closest in age sister Lorna at 27 died in a car crash, flying to the city she lived and walking in to her on life support is the only time I have ever passed out.

She could only hear and smell I was told. I still have the 4 wooden potpourri balls I bought for her, they were wrong she could cry. I look at them I smell them I think, it is but a moment and all our lives could change.

be wise Iono not to generally think you may understand others outlooks or fears , it can be a hoof in mouth experience.

Originally posted by No Such Agency

I was saddened and angered when I read certain comments on the web from people whose first assumption after any major event seems to be \"OMG teh Muslims did it!\".
    Recent updates in the media about the shooter\'s video and manifesto that he sent to NBC the day of the murders are concerning. He apparently speaks about religion, although they have been very careful not to specify what he said about it. Bound to turn into a polarizing issue.

As far as being saddened by what has happened, it depends on your perspective. Compared to the genocide in Darfur and the mess in the Middle East (over 100 dead in Iraq in bombings today), this isn\'t very important. But if you take the time to read about the lives and unrealized potential of the victims, it is very tragic. Anyone recall the murders of the young girls at the Amish schoolhouse not long ago?

Another important issue this raises is the lack of emphasis on mental health in our health care system. Coverage for ongoing care of depression, schizophrenia and other chronic mental health conditions is poor, and these people fall through the cracks. How is it in other countries?

Default ...

I was shocked when I heard it... normally Im the type that doesn\'t feel much of anything when something \"bad\' happens. When I thought about it though and how easy it was for that guy to do what he did, it scared me... a lot.

The media running all over Va tech really make me sick looking for any and everything to exploit and make them look good being the first to break \"an exclusive.\"

NBC got a package from the guy with pictures, etc. He looked prepared, like he more than knew what he was doing and how to handle himself. His rig and manner in the pictures left me speechless... now I really know why he had his way... he prepared... a good bit.

Ive always had a slightly odd way of looking at things like that... but when I see all the calls for the police chiefs and president of Va techs. job I just wonder how anyone can say that a \"plan\" would have helped to stop someone so bent on slaughter.

:(

I\'m very sorry that your sister died due to a car accident.

What I said was intended to be a coment on people in general, but because of my wording it sounded directed at you. Sorry about that too.

I had no intention of assuming to understand your outlooks or fears. I don\'t know you so there\'s no way I could.

It\'s somewhat tricky to explain, because we are talking about something that is an emotive area for you, so I\'ll leave it.

Originally posted by vincegamer
    Yeah...He really struck a chord with me too. 76 years or not, still cut down before his time...insane.

The pics etc are quite disturbing

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18169776/?from=ET

That is disturbing....and sadly NBC is ejaculating all over themselves for getting the pics....

Originally posted by treide
    Another important issue this raises is the lack of emphasis on mental health in our health care system. Coverage for ongoing care of depression, schizophrenia and other chronic mental health conditions is poor, and these people fall through the cracks. How is it in other countries?
    Canada\'s health care is, no lie, great. Nobody goes broke, nobody dies/suffers needlessly any more than any other health care system, the medical staff work hard...

BUT

We dumped the mentally ill out on the street around the same time the US did. It was a matter of human rights and \"free choice\". So we have cities full of schizophrenic homeless people, and hordes of the barely-more-functional who scrape by a little better because they have family and friends, or perhaps enough lucidity to keep an income and a roof over their head. We also have lone nutbags who can\'t be forced to get help until AFTER they\'ve committed a violent act. We had Marc Lepine, and scores of the less-dangerous who have merely hurt others, not killed them.

It\'s also important to note that most of the mentally ill are NOT violent, and at worst only end up harming themselves, and suffer unnoticed by everyone, except the doctor who stitches them up or the ME who autopsies them.

Originally posted by TAB Studio

Vike could you be aging?
    I don\'t think I am, but the increasing lines on my face, and grey hair in my beard tell another tale....

Blog Entries

I think NSA read the same Abnormal Psychology textbook I\'m reading right now in preparation for a final exam tomorrow.

There are huge legal issues with criminal activity and the mentally ill. I personally think it\'s incredibly negligent to allow dangerous offenders with mental issues to refuse treatment, but there are ways to do it in most jurisdictions... then again I have very little faith in the criminal justice system anymore so I guess I\'ll just have to do what I can to keep everybody (including the patient) safe once I get my PhD sometime in the next 4-5 years.