Two new harlequins
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Two new harlequins

Default Two new harlequins

Hi all!
    i\'ve spent a lot of time on these so i thought i\'d share them with you all.
    Please let me know what you think and have a vote!
    Any comments and questions would be great!
    cheers!

Harlequin 1

Harlequin 2 (close ups)

Female harlequin 1

Female harlequin 2 (close ups)

cheers! Daz

These are really great! Inspirational! I like how you kept the colour scheme pretty limited and still, through well chosen colours and extremely well painted freehand patterns, made them look properly harlequinesque (is that a word? ???).

you\'re freak man if not after paint this free hand I\'m sure u\'re:) that fh on clothes are amazing. realy realy great job. I can\'t imagine how did you paint it so clear and with fantastic colors. nmm on blades look also great. I\'m not sure that blinks look good on second harl. but still overal 11 from me:)

mouth drops to floor.

dang man
    :o:o:o

those are both really good man! the NMM is choice! voted too:beer:

These are superb! Question is, how do you do that? The lines are so neat and so damn small!

I also really liked the studio harlequins, did you do those as well?

Those are amazing. Makes me want to paint my classic Harliqueins that are kicking around in one of my boxes.

The thing that strikes me the most is the suble blending of the black checks into the yellow on the gloves and the tabard.

cheers for the comments guys!
    i painted the shadowseer for the studio, i did faded diamonds on that and it worked out fine so i decided to do it on these.
    thanks! Daz:)

Originally posted by Ritual
    made them look properly harlequinesque (is that a word? ???).
    it is now!!

awesome job. best harlequins i have seen yet

Well I must say these are incredible minis. As far as the eavy metal style goes this contains everything that makes it so great and eyecatching. I really like your take on NMM as well.. you continue evolving all the time and you seem to take other paths then usual which makes your minis so highly anticipated by me! :) The colourschemes are both excellent.. I\'m not sure how you pulled it off without the minis looking cheesy, but they don\'t, they look fierce! Now I just wished I had the money to buy one... :)

I got to echo that comment by trevor. Your lines are extremely neat, and so is your painting in general. I know it\'s probably really hard to answer how you do that.. but do we like to know or what? lol Well another question instead perhaps, how much time did these take?

Not much to add really other than that these are simply stunning. Excellent detail, colours etc. Well done :beer:

Could you tell us a bit about the diamond/free hand work?
    thanks

Weapons looking as a wet Ferarri:D Exellent!

These are really great! Inspirational!
    Yeah, they inspire me to snap all my brushes in half, throw my paints in the trash and take up knitting.
    How can anyone be that good?

Originally posted by vincegamer
    These are really great! Inspirational!
    Yeah, they inspire me to snap all my brushes in half, throw my paints in the trash and take up knitting.
    How can anyone be that good?
    Painting 8 hrs per day 5 days per week, plus what you spend of your free time, probably helps. ;)

Painting 8 hrs per day 5 days per week, plus what you spend of your free time, probably helps. ;)
    Plus when you have a non painting job you tense up and in the evening you are e wreck when you force yourself to paint.
    As a friend of mine said when I complimented him on the incredible improvement of his painting:
    \"not everybody is lucky enough to be unemployed like me\"
    :beer::beer:

Both very very stunning. I have recently painted up a death jester myself and know how fiddly the diamond pattern can be!

Although nowhere near as good as Darrens, the best bit of advice I can offer to anyone wishing to paint the diamond pattern is to take your time with the grid. Getting it right first time will make painting the pattern much easier and save you a lot of time fixing it afterwards (as well I know!)

I really like the thorny swirly pattern on the second one, and think this is my favourite part.

:drool::drool::drool:

Christ!

hi, thanks for the replies!
    for the diamonds i didn\'t use a guideline grid. First i painted the area that was going to have diamonds the lighter of the two diamond colours.(hawk turquoise & white mix)
    I then found it a lot easier to start with a line of diamonds down the centre of the most forward facing part of the figure (in most cases it was the front of the leg etc).
    This was done in the darker of the two diamond colours (warlock purple & regal blue mix).
    once the first line was done i worked outwards from it around the area to complete the whole pattern.
    Then i highilghted both sets of the diamonds (4 stages). The dark line between the diamonds was left by the warlock and regal mix and not added after.
    To get the most impact out of this i\'d always go for diamonds with different tones. it\'s also easier to paint.

a grid pattern can work well but i found that it lets you down when the cloth folds on the figure. I did one line at a time, it took ages but worked better for me. (not for my eyes!)

thanks again! Daz