What should I do for Golden Demon

Thread: What should I do for Golden Demon

Default What should I do for Golden Demon

I\'m feeling a little uninspired this year, I have a few entries planned out, but they aren\'t really progressing, so I thought I\'d see if anyone can suggest something cool I can do.

I\'m pretty set on a 40k large, warhammer unit and LOTR entries, so things for the other categories would be good.

I know I need to play to my strengths, so that means no freehand! :D I think I\'m best at doing cloth, but I can do marine armour as well.

So any ideas?

And if you are wondering what ou get out of it, if I use your idea and win a trophy I\'ll tell everyone it was your idea.

Originally posted by Trevor
    I know I need to play to my strengths, so that means no freehand! :D I think I\'m best at doing cloth, but I can do marine armour as well.
    DA\'s. When and doubt use a model they are pushing at the time, plus DA models are just marine armor and cloth.

just browse collecters guides and old gw artwork...as you will see a lot of the top painters who win demons all the time are inspired by alot of old gw art...i would try and avoid the single catagories this year as the spanish,french,polish and even 2 russian chicks are comming :), and my guess is they will be insane, and if all else fails just paint something that you want to paint, beeing motivated helps a lot

If you can\'t think of anything then suggestions won\'t generally help...
    While painting to trends etc has it\'s place originality is key...
    but the most important part of painting a successful model is painting something YOU really want to.

Coffin Dodger / Keymaster airhead's Avatar

Originally posted by Trevor
    What should I do for Golden Demon
    Paint very well. and lots of conversion. But not over the top like orc riding cow on roller skates with rockets attached (even though it was one of my favorite pieces).

If you can\'t decide how best to use your abilities in a mini painting capacity, how about coming up with a masterplan to asassinate Sebastian Archer and improve all of our chances? ;)

i would try and avoid the single catagories this year as the spanish,french,polish and even 2 russian chicks are comming
    Is that the UK one? I\'m talking about the Oz one, although I\'d be happy to see some world class painters over here.

As for what to do to win, I think I know that pretty well, I\'m just looking for ideas. I know some people have great ideas but no time to execute them, so I\'m fishing for spare inspiration. DA might be the go, I\'ve got quite a bit of DA stuff kicking about. The art work thing is good, I have a vague idea for doing a pic out of the DH codex. I had planned on doing Ogryns from Ogres, but someone has already finished an entry for this year doing that, so its back to the drawing board.

Its looks like Sebastian won\'t need assasinating, he\'s off to UK GD and has said he probably won\'t get much done for Oz GD, shame really I think he\'s raised the bar for the rest of us and I like seeing his stuff.

I\'m sure inspiration will strike.

Yeah, I\'m in the UK, why do you think I want him taking out? lol

I must have a good idea that I\'ve ditched in favour of something I thought would be better...

OK, how about a diorama where you use... Nah, I may get round to that one still.

Er... Vehicle! Yeah, you could make a... no, actually I\'m still kinda attached to that idea.

Ah! For duel you could have a... no, I really think that could be a good one for me this year to tell you the truth.

Oh, I\'ve got it! Some kind of orc riding cow on roller skates with rockets attached.

the only reason i have decided to go to gd uk this year is to meet the painters that are attending.

i don\'t stand a chance with the painting so getting chance to meet some of the top painting bods will make it worth while for me. :)

The best choice for you is to find something that you would really enjoy doing,,there\'s no point painting/making/converting someone else\'s idea as u probably wont be as enthusiatic with it, or even have the same depth of background in the idea that the creator would have.

look through art books, codexes, army books,,,,,anything you can get your hands on and try find some inspiration. OR even look at the real world for some inspiration.

chris

Well, I was hoping someone would go

\"Do a terminator being attacked by a genestealer\"

and I\'d go

\"yes, thats great, I\'ll do that\"

and get all inspired.

Actually, thats not a bad idea, could do that for diorama or open...

Originally posted by forrix
    i would try and avoid the single catagories this year as the spanish,french,polish and even 2 russian chicks are comming :), and my guess is they will be insane, and if all else fails just paint something that you want to paint, beeing motivated helps a lot
    grr... why can\'t they stick to their own countries? is the best of the UK, not any body who can get a plane ticket to birmingham. The past 3 winners have been foreign in the UK (although the models they entered are very cool) Which i find slightly aggravating. Rant over. Back to the topic.

Rosac, for a start not every country HAS its own GD - take the Russians, for example. Secondly, GD UK is not the best of the UK, it is simply one of the more prestigious GDs as it is GW\'s \"own\" country, so people flock from all over because it\'s world class competition. Also, I shouldn\'t have to mention that about 20 out of 40 of the GD UK 06 winners were from the UK, and that there is a similar balance at most GDs.

As the GD coordinator bloke once said, if the English people want to win more trophies, they need to paint better! These are not \'our\" trophies that the Spaniards and other non-UK painters are stealing, they belong to those who paint the best minis. GD UK is only GD UK because that\'s where it takes place :cool:

*edit*
    Trevor: How about finding something from box/concept art which really inspires you, and converting a figure for that? It wouldn\'t necessarily mean a lot of conversion or sculpting work with a good paintjob, and something cool and recognisable always stands out for the judges. If you are aiming to win, it\'s also a good strategy to paint something revamped that GW will want to sell, eg. DAs or forthcoming Orks...

Yes, I think that\'s a bit of a strange nationalistic rant there Rosac, calm down lad.

Bill, you (or the \"GD co-ordinator bloke\") forgot to mention that the UK\'s best hobbyists might need to find new jobs (ie somewhere other than GW) if UK residents are to have a chance of sweeping the board at GDUK.

Originally posted by rosac
    Originally posted by forrix
    i would try and avoid the single catagories this year as the spanish,french,polish and even 2 russian chicks are comming :), and my guess is they will be insane, and if all else fails just paint something that you want to paint, beeing motivated helps a lot
    grr... why can\'t they stick to their own countries? is the best of the UK, not any body who can get a plane ticket to birmingham. The past 3 winners have been foreign in the UK (although the models they entered are very cool) Which i find slightly aggravating. Rant over. Back to the topic.
    I really wished the American\'s, African, Asians etc.. wouldn\'t turn up for the London Olympics, or we are never going to win much.

Well I\'ve settled on a few things, can\'t think of anything for single 40k and warhammer. I\'m tempted to try doing stock minis with no conversion.