The need for more Genre types to choose from

Thread: The need for more Genre types to choose from

Default The need for more Genre types to choose from

Some people are calling their fantasy figures \"steampunk.\" Steampunk is supposed to be linked to the pre-WW1 Victorian age.

Wikipedia defines Steampunk as:

. . . works set in an era or world where steam power is still widely used—usually the 19th century, and often set in Victorian era England—but with prominent elements of either science fiction or fantasy, such as fictional technological inventions like those found in the works of H. G. Wells, or real technological developments like the computer occurring at an earlier date.

This raises the issue of genre types. I think it needs to be expanded with such genres as (for example):

Horror- for all those vampires, werewolves, etc

\"Alternate\" History - esp. for all that weird war II stuff.

Movie characters - I have a Spaghetti Western figure I\'ll paint. It could be considered as historical, but the character is fictional, so he never existed.

Steam-Fantasy- for fantasy figures with a touch of technology.

Why?

Genre is often the bane of creativity. What we need is more stuff that defies genre....

And Steampunk is just steam-powered sci-fi.

Edit: Just realised you\'re talking about CMON categories. That might be a good idea actually :D

Welcome to the forums! :)

I think in the end that you can divide any genre into subgenres etc and it\'s hard to draw a line. But on the other hand it helps when you search for something particular. But then a \"keywords\" option might be more useful?

Originally posted by Spacemunkie

Edit: Just realised you\'re talking about CMON categories. That might be a good idea actually :D
    lol scott you tit!!

So what your saying is that the steampunk genre should be split into two identical genres ???

My thoughts, for what it\'s worth: Steampunk is not quite fantasy, not quite sci-fi but somewhere inbetween. I could see Western being a valid category, too. Not sure Alt History would be a large enough category to warrant it. Of course all of those would fit fine in \"other\" (do we already have an other category?).

Though if more genre types were added, I\'d also want the ability to change the types of minis already submitted.

Kep

I\'m sure you must be refering to the Privateer Press minis. The company themselves class their game and miniatures as Steampunk, so maybe you should write them :) I think once I saw them refer to it as Magic Punk... maybe that would work as a category, for those hordes of Shadowrun figures we see regularly posted.

Personally I see 99% of Privateer Press\'s stuff as Fantasy.

I don\'t see an issue with the classes as they are. I definately don\'t see a need for a Steam-Fantasy and a Steam-Punk split.

A conversions category would be nice though.

Yes, a conversions category is a good idea.