NMM - A daft and pretentious practice
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: NMM - A daft and pretentious practice

Default NMM - A daft and pretentious practice

I have long been of the opinion that nmm is an odd pattern to want to paint on a mini, and I have finally put my finger on why I don\'t like it.

It\'s not that I don\'t think that it can look good - when done right, it can look amazing. But come on! Even the best painted mini is still only a three centimetre high, oddly proportioned piece of finely sculpted pewter - just one isn\'t all that impressive, except as a display of technical skill. A superbly painted and converted model ought to lead a finely painted army onto the field of battle, otherwise it is just an effeminate trinket!

There\'s no point in having your general painted to reflect a single light source, when you\'re going to be viewing him from all sides during the game. I also recommend that the hobbyist use a nice bright colour so he doesn\'t get lost amid all that flock.

Size matters. NMM looks nice, but if its not part of a large army, who cares how fancy it looks?

I completely disagree.

Effeminate trinket?

Come on, you can\'t really think these things can you? You\'re just trying to fire up some controversy, right?

Do you always talk such utter bollocks?

:D

Even if it is viewed from all angles, if a single light source has been used effectively then it will look good.

I agree with Vikey, just trying to stir the brown stuff me thinks.

I have long been of the opinion that nmm is an odd pattern to want to paint on a mini,
    . . . so is using a coat of paint filled with metalic flakes when the properties we actually associate with metal come from the qualities and patterns of reflection.

There\'s no point in having your general painted to reflect a single light source, when you\'re going to be viewing him from all sides during the game.
    First, painting your miniatures simply by volumes does not look very striking, interesting, or good. This may be great from a pure gamer perspective, but if you can\'t tell by the existence of this site, people care about the hobby aspect as well. Some people will never even put their figures on a gaming table. Display only.

I understand you don\'t like NMM, that\'s fine. But if you are trying to arrive at some objective reason why people shouldn\'t use NMM, I don\'t think you are going to get there.

I just don\'t think that a whole army painted nmm would look good. Models should belong to armies, or they are pointless shinies. To use an example from popular culture, Leonidas would hate it, Xerxes would worship it.

Have you been sniffing glue?

Why should models belong to armies? What about all the models that are available purely for show, and not made specifically for armies?

You seem to be overlooking 50% of the hobby.

Originally posted by Spacemunkie
    Have you been sniffing glue?
    Na, the trend now is burning wheelie bins then sniffing the fumes, I think this fella has had enough.

My Grandmother-In-Law fell into her wheelie bin a few weeks back.....

She was probably whacked off her tits on glue as well.....

Originally posted by zombiesincorporated
    I have long been of the opinion that nmm is an odd pattern to want to paint on a mini,
    . . . so is using a coat of paint filled with metalic flakes when the properties we actually associate with metal come from the qualities and patterns of reflection.
    Not odd at all - it can look really nice if used in appropriate quantities on a whole army. Like real metal, it reflects a lot of real light, whereas nmm does not.

painting your miniatures simply by volumes does not look very striking, interesting, or good.
    Depends how well you paint them. A lot of well painted models looks more impressive than a handful of golden demon models.

I understand you don\'t like NMM, that\'s fine. But if you are trying to arrive at some objective reason why people shouldn\'t use NMM, I don\'t think you are going to get there.
    You miss my point. I think it looks pretty, but a handful of expertly painted toy soldiers are silly. An army is cool.

You should see my display cabinet if you want an \'army\' of well painted figures.

I can assure you that it looks the dog\'s bollocks - I just spent an hour tidying and dusting it.

I have seen plenty of well painted armies and I have seen some demon winners and the demon winners looked much nicer! :)

If you think nice looking minis are silly then you\'re wasting your time on this site! :rolleyes:

Originally posted by montka
    Depends how well you paint them. A lot of well painted models looks more impressive than a handful of golden demon models.
    lol I would much rather take a good look at a demon winners cabinet than the army cabinet at my local GW.

Have you not seen what highlighting is? I\'m sure you don\'t randomly add a highlight to a piece of armour/clothing, you use a light source! And NMM is a way to paint metal without using metallic paints, you still use a light source so what is the problem? The models don\'t actually come to life and move so using this technique won\'t affect it. Why do you think grey paint with metallic flakes added is any more realistic? :rolleyes:???

For me most NMM are not NonMetallicMetal, but NonMetallicMiniatures. This is because most of these pieces do not look like metal. BUT: NMM looks damned good (as always: if done right) when you look at it on photos or in real-life-close-ups. On a distance like at a gaming table only a few people can see these fine art. But which army-general would spend 63 or more hours of painting for each one of his 200+ miniatures? Just in case someone throws his dice onto the ground and stoops for them... If I had such an army I would display it only behind bulletproof galss. Some people clean their windows although it can rain the other day... Yes, sounds stupid, but it is exactly what you said.

With all due respect, I think that however nicely painted they are, toy soldiers will always look small and weak; in order to think they are amazingly cool you\'d have to imagine them as life size. That\'s a life choice I suppose. I think people like them for the ideas they connote.

Golden Demon has some good stuff; an army of models painted to that standard would indeed be the dogs bollocks! I just wouldn\'t want it to be nmm! Show me an army of models painted in nmm that works and I shall eat my hat.

I begin to understand you....imagine you play Monopoly....imagine you can bath in all the money you get for just drivin\' round the block...I do.

You really are talking total ordure!