What are the hands down, no questions, best paints out there in your oppinion?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What are the hands down, no questions, best paints out there in your oppinion?

Moved to the land of Oz in March of 2014. Interesting place, Kansas.
    Blog Entries

Default What are the hands down, no questions, best paints out there in your oppinion?

Can of worms, right?:D

I want to replace all my paint but I\'d like to do it with all one brand (well, actually, my hubby is looking to spend an inordinatly large amount of money on me in hopes I\'ll paint some of the stuff HE wants painted and thinks this will get me to do it. Who am I to argue? With the paint anyway. :twisted: )

So, lets get to it. What is YOUR favorite brand of paint. Convince me to buy it. I absolutly ADORE salesmen so make me wiggle with you prowess! :cool:

No one can tell you which paints are best.. being new I\'m learning that there is only one person who will tell you what paints are the best..

His name is Mr. Time. He told me to paint alot of minis..trying different paints..and then I would have an epiphany.

Right now I have a ton of GW, some Reaper and like 3 bottles of P3 (which I kinda like).

I would not buy a entire set of one paint until I have gathered enough experience to know when they are really holding me back or moving me forward.

Buy a few triads of Reaper, a few of GW, and try a P3 and see what you like.

Moved to the land of Oz in March of 2014. Interesting place, Kansas.
    Blog Entries

Originally posted by Rigged4Mini
    No one can tell you which paints are best.. being new I\'m learning that there is only one person who will tell you what paints are the best..

His name is Mr. Time. He told me to paint alot of minis..trying different paints..and then I would have an epiphany.

Right now I have a ton of GW, some Reaper and like 3 bottles of P3 (which I kinda like).

I would not buy a entire set of one paint until I have gathered enough experience to know when they are really holding me back or moving me forward.

Buy a few triads of Reaper, a few of GW, and try a P3 and see what you like.
    I have some reaper triads and I like them a lot but I\'m trying to tell my hubby what he can spend his $ on. Like all women I have a mercenary side and he wants the general oppinion of the board.

I asked an art teacher of mine a similar question and his response was that each paint wasn\'t really better or worse but that each does something different.

well i happen to be an art teacher and i personally hate vallejo paints. i still like gw the most and p3 a close second. although i always water down each color with half water, which means more paint for me in the end. so yeah

gw for me.

Of course a lot also depends on whos using em what they\'re painting etc....

The P3 paints are very good and I\'ve been finding my way with them.. Vallejo Model color are generally a popular choice I like em but they\'re not the easiest to get your head around..
    The Reaper series especially metallic are really nice paints.
    but put a gun to my head and say I can only keep one of the sets I own and I\'d have to say GW.....

mainly because these are the ones I cut my teeth on and have been using for years..Alot of the guides you see have reference to GW paints and I\'ve always found them easiest to get hold of...

but in time you will always add to your collectiion and as Shawn said every paint has it\'s uses so a happy mix of all will be used....

Currently though I am saving my pennies for the reaper master series set anyone know of a seller in the UK so I don\'t have to save as many pennies to cover postage costs..

I agree with everyone here, all paints have their uses :)

However, If you are to get paint from only one range, GW would be the best bet. It is all around great paint. I still see plenty of really high quality painters use only or mostly GW paint, so it does have the ability to cater towards the really good painters too.

Personally, I love the GW flip tops design. They are very easy to open, I never have had paint dry out on me.

The GW paint has an advantage of not needing to be mixed as much as other ranges. Vallejo will often settle (because it\'s got more pigment) and I find with the eyedropper bottle design, some of the thinner will still be caught in the top no matter how much shaking. This is where the GW bottle design proves it\'s worth again.

Obviously, in every range of paint there are always certain colors to avoid, and certain colors that are really good (as far as consistency, pigment, etc)

If you only want to buy a few colors from the range, here is a list to avoid:

-Bubonic Brown (tends to be a bit grainy)
    -Yellows (not enough pigment, they do cover well enough if you paint the area white first)
    -Kommando Khaki (very transparent, even over white)
    -Desert Yellow (also low in pigment, though not as much as Khaki)

And here is a list I would highly reccomend getting:

-Bleached Bone (great for mixing highlights)
    -Shadow Grey (Great for highlighting black, my favorite color too!)
    -Most of the browns (cover very well, and have a nice selection of tones)
    -Metallics (very fine consistency, compared to other ranges)
    -Inks (very nice quality ink, great for table-top quality stuff when washing, and great for shading display stuff when thinned well)

Anyhoo, hope this helps :)

-Matt

Antnol

I agree with everyone here as well. I have had the best luck with the GW paints myself. i have tried others and even took someone elses word and bought a whole set of Rackham paints and I have not figured out how they work. It just seems so much easier to me to blend with the GW paints.

Vallejo model. Their website has the equivalency chart for all other brands.

Vallejo is a great paint if you\'re a chronic masturbator like myself as they need a good shaking to get the pigment mixed.

I think, to settle on one paint is a bad idea. Each paint has their merrit.

GW is universal but expensive 3-4 bucks for a non metalic, also great if you are not a pallet painter.

Vallejo is great for their carbon copy of the GW paint and their military colors

Reaper are great for their triads

P3 are great and the most cost effective, but not the most widley known

Hands down, Vallejo with Foundry coming up a close second. Both of these work great for me, but might not work so well for others....

For examples of the Foundry trio in effect check out my gallery.

Blog Entries

I\'m a big fan of Vallejo - mainly for the dropper bottles. When they run out I refill them with whatever I can get that is equivalent.

Vallejo Model color is by far the best, Vallejo Gaming color is better than most but, seems a little thinner & more transparant.

Default ...

Since he wants to spend money, why not pick up P3, GW, and some of VMC and RMS lines?

:)

I own paints from 5 paint ranges, and use them all regularly. Different paints do different jobs, so no one brand is going to give you everything you want.

VMC is a good flat range with a large color selection.

Citadel probably the easiest learning curve with many articles explaining them to boot (same goes for VMC too)

P3 offer a slightly glossier finish, a tad bit slower drying time to aid in blending and new colors.

RMS offer the triads, and again a different color selection.

VGC, similar to Citadel, slightly different in composition though.

In the end just get em all. :cool:

Originally posted by mattsterbenz

-Yellows (not enough pigment, they do cover well enough if you paint the area white first)

-Matt
    You forgot Graveyard Earth, awful coverage also.
    Infact Kommando Khaki, Desert Yellow and Graveyard Earth are GW\'s \'\'new\'\' paints, released quite recently in comparison with the rest of their range. Why are they all such bad coverage? ???

I agree all paints have their good and bad depending on your preferences. However if you ask me about bottle designs, I\'ll tell you derivant.

It has the ease of measuring your paint of the VMC dropper bottle, minus the frustration of a clogged nozzle. And if you happen to leave it uncovered the paint only dries up on the exposed tip and you still have the rest of the paint intact, unlike the flip tops.

Furthermore they are highly pigmented and good value for $$$.

Blog Entries

If it\'s a set you\'re going for, I strongly recommend the GW one.
    I suppose it could be coming down to what was said before about cutting my teeth on it, but it\'s actually really good paint.
    I\'m not disputing the fact other paints have different uses...I\'m just answering the question streight lol

Originally posted by petey
    Originally posted by mattsterbenz

-Matt
    You forgot Graveyard Earth, awful coverage also.
    Infact Kommando Khaki, Desert Yellow and Graveyard Earth are GW\'s \'\'new\'\' paints, released quite recently in comparison with the rest of their range. Why are they all such bad coverage? ???
    Blasphemy.......
    Kommando Khaki while crap coverage on it\'s own when shaken vigourously it is one of the best paints out there for providing a subtle Highlight shade to almost any colour..also creates a great silky colour when usedfor white material..

Graveyard Earth is the Dogs I use it on pactically every model I paint....I go through around a pot a fortnight actually emptying them..bases Scorched brown Graveyard Earth Bleached Bone.
    Bubonic brown is a great colour for blonde hair as well as in use for gold NMM

Agree with the others though the yellows suck manmeat.:beer:

Blog Entries

I concur with him up there ^

I love all the paints, especially when it comes to blending they\'re so versatile!
    Yeah Yellow IS a bit of a pain in the arse, but now I can paint yellow really well lol.
    I think the very fact I had to overcome working with such a difficult medium as GW yellows taught me a lot. Cheers GW...