Bolter-Shotty conversion for scratchbuilt figure...

Thread: Bolter-Shotty conversion for scratchbuilt figure...

Default Bolter-Shotty conversion for scratchbuilt figure...

I wanted to do a properly proportioned inquisitor, and one of the weapons I wanted him to have was a combat shotgun.

I don\'t really like the normal ones (A la scouts and arbites) plus they\'d look way too short, like sawn-offs, so I set about converting my own, using a standard Marine boltgun.

I cut the boltgun as cleanly as I could in half, removing the entire magazine.

Technical point: I know the breech should be farther forward, but who cares :P

I then pinned a thick wire between the two halves in order to lengthen the whole weapon and to have something to mould the milliput around.

I then took my pin vice and used a thin bit to drill a few holes right through the end of the original bolter end.

(Nb. The rack on top of the shotgun doesn\'t look as rounded as it does in these photos.)

INPUT WANTED: What could I add to the central part of the weapon (The millput lengthening part). Even if just a sculpted eagle or skull like there was on the front part of the bolter...

Well looks ok so far, but there are a few things I would do (and one i wouldnt have but thats personal preference).
    I would add something for the pump to slide on, probably grooves along the body, and maybe a smaller raised area on the underside. An imperial eagle would look good, as long as it wouldnt interfere with the pump sliding. The one thing I wouldnt have done myself would have been drill the holes at the end of the bolter, but thats really just my preference. One last thing is I\'d like to see the Inquisition icon on it somewhere.

Any chance we can see the inquisitor?

Blog Entries

I agree with the slide grooves on the side, and perhaps the eagle, but I would also go for something really different - add a couple of flashlights to the front or something similar - or sling a grenade launcher under it.

cool idea and well executed.
    I\'ll my voice for a slide, seems a logical thing to do. Maybe a slot to load the shells ? And the imperial eagle sounds good.

@ J2 - As mentioned, it\'s for a differently proportioned figure, not a standard GW Marine.

@ French, Steel and Emo - I\'d already decided to add the grooves for the slide, however, I need to file down some of the milliput and attach some thin plasticard.

I also intend to have a small indent on the underside at the end of slide to indicate where the shells would be loaded.

@ Steel - I did actually want to add a flashlight or similar, but wasnt sure how to mount it (I want to keep the rack clear)

@ Emo - I did hesitate adding the holes, but once I\'d done them I quite liked them.
    (They\'d be fairly easy to fill in anyway)

As for seeing the inquisitor himself, at the moment he is only padded armature, with the only musculature evident being the front of his torso, but once I get the pose and main body done I\'ll be sure to add some pics onto this thread.

FEEDBACK WANTED: Anyone have any other ideas for the blank milliput sides?
    Also - how to possibly mount a flashlight?

Well instead of mounting a whole flaslight what about just having a the bulb/lit end just below the barrel. You could cut that tab off and just add the lens thing there... Not sure how else you\'d do it as the pump goes all the way to the end of it.

Originally posted by DaN
    FEEDBACK WANTED: Anyone have any other ideas for the blank milliput sides?
    Well, lets see.

First off, here:
    http://www.airsoftatlanta.com/Reviews/utg870.htm

Its got a pretty good close up of a similar shotgun. Really, nothing more than some lines would add \"something\" that would make it look more authentic. You could also add the magazine underneath, although that\'s not really necessary IMO.

Second:
    http://www.gunaccessories.com/Tactic...un/default.asp

Its got a cool idea you might like. Some holders on the side that hold spare shells, or as they call it, a sidesaddle shotshell carrier. You could even mix it up with some \"alternative\" shells. I have no idea what that means at this minute, but that might make it a bit more interesting. Maybe a gas shell or something. Plus, if you look, its got a flashlight mounted at the front, just under the barrel.

Finally, you have:
    http://www.airsocom.com/acatalog/Air...ing_Stock.html

It has some ridges running down the front, which may be all you need.

The thing that came to mind without doing the obligatory Google search was a depression along both sides, almost a grip.

Anyway, hope this helps.

Blog Entries

Heres a shot of a gun mounted flashlight - in that scale you could almost leave off the straps - however thats up to you

http://www.opticsplanet.net/gun-mount-flashlights.html

IMO i would do a drum like the street sweeper style. again imo. ummmmmm other than that......maybe a strappy strap with xtra shells kind of like PegaZus said.
    i would have to see the guy when your done to really add anything more worth while ..... so HURRY UP lol

aaaaaaaaaaaargh i did a really long post yesterday with loads of pix that i had founs and it timed out!!

anyhoo. here is what some of my points were:

i would cut some of the middle section out - it seems too long to me.

the pump (unless it is meant to be mid-pump) should be back in the middle of the gun.

as mentioned, the pump needs something to slide along

to me the barrell seems too low and i personally would replace it with some plactic tubing/gs and get rid of the holey bit on the end

hope this helps. here\'s a pic i found that would be similar to what i am describing

Been away, but thanks for all the feedback :P

@PegaZus - I should\'ve thought of the side-saddle rounds - I\'ve always liked them... I think they\'re a definate possibility

@ Freak - I see what you mean about the barrel - I hadn\'t looked at it like that. I may just snip it and replace with some tubing.

As for the pump itself, as mentioned I will be adding a groove to simulate the slide, but I like it and the end (Plus I can\'t be arsed to move it lol)

I think I\'ll leave a flash light for now.
    I\'m thinking of having it strapped across the guy\'s back anyway.

http://world.guns.ru/shotgun/SH00-E.HTM enjoy

I\'ve been wanting to post this for a while but I just never have the time to do it. Now that I have the time I hope you take a good look at what I\'ve done and think about it. I don\'t pull punches when it comes to being a critic. You don\'t get better by people telling you you\'re right all the time.

Weapons are usually sculpted in brown stuff for one overwhelming reason. They need to be very precise to look good. Here is a picture of the weapon you sculpted with some lines drawn on. I\'m sure you can tell what I want to say about it so I won\'t bore you with the details.

((Picture of a gun taken down to conserve bandwidth. kthxbye))

The green represents the lay of the front and the red is the back. The blue shows some sort of bulge on the bottom and the mis-shapen holes.

The facts are, If you want to make a shotgun from a bolter, you should use plasti card because it\'s already straight, or brown stuff because it can be made straight more easily. Your version is crooked and the holes are uneven. I would scrap it and start over.

posted on 6-2-2007 at 05:56 PM
    @ French, Steel and Emo - I\'d already decided to add the grooves for the slide, however, I need to file down some of the milliput and attach some thin plasticard.
    I see your point with the barrel lines too - if you read elsewhere in the post I said I was thinking of removing the barrel and adding some tubing.

Tbh this was an experimental protype anyway - I have a few more bolters I could use if needs be, but I\'m happy with this one so far :)

Cheers for the bluntness tho Rex :P

PS. Looking, the blue \"bulge\" is actually due to the milliput going in, so is easily correctable.

[quote]Originally posted by DaN
    Tbh this was an experimental protype anyway - I have a few more bolters I could use if needs be, but I\'m happy with this one so far :)

Cheers for the bluntness tho Rex :P

PS. Looking, the blue \"bulge\" is actually due to the milliput going in, so is easily correctable.
    I\'m glad you took it well, most people don\'t. I just think life\'s too short for me to be playing a yes man to anyone.
    I\'m glad you\'re experimenting. That\'s what takes the hobby to new places. Imagine if nobody had ever tried NMM or conversions.

And here is it with the plasticard edging and some random bits glued on.

Obviously it still needs refining and the edges tidying.

For the slide, I was thinking about leaving some of the gap between the bottom and side plasticard and filling the rest.

I also think I\'m gonna leave the original bolter barrel - I know it seems a bit stubby and flash suppressors on a shotgun would be a bit pointless, but I like it :P

ALSO, here is the armature of the bloke who will have it... And, thinking about it - I really should\'ve put him next to a regular GW fig to give a comparison... Anyway - he\'s over twice as big, so Maybe he\'ll have to be a 54mm fig instead :P lol