Tyranids concept...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tyranids concept...

Mr. John Doe

Default Tyranids concept...

Here\'s a question: Are Tyranids susceptible to disease? I would think so, since they are living organisms, but they evolve so rapidly that a disease would have a hard time taking hold. But if it did take hold...

This is my WIP/concept:
    http://www.freewebs.com/hivefleetbarbarus/

Thanks in advance!

~MJD!

i like this idea. might have to do a hive tyrant. i\'ll think and get sketches for ye.

They are a disease! :D Or, a little more precisely: tyranid organisms range from the familiar hive ships and ground forces to the microscopic. Background states that huge clouds of such things are released upon the target planet to carry out massive changes in... everything. Atmosphere, soil, rock, native organisms...

I don\'t think that negates your concept, though; and even if it did, your idea sounds too good to be prevented by a little thing like that.

Well, considering that Nurgle is a \"God\" (Or at least a vastly powerful daemon) then if anything has a chance to infect Nids it\'ll be the rot :P

Back in the OOOOOLD RT days, you could actually have Chaos nids, so maybe you could show them starting to taint.

Maybe as none of the nids BY THEMSELVES are what we would call \"Sentient\", maybe they take longer to succumb to the lure of chaos. The hivemind is fighting a losing battle, and slowly but surely becoming one with grandfather Nurgle.

You could show this slow taint with subtle markings like nurgles 3 circles, just showing in the boils and blisters on the nids...

Mr. John Doe

Originally posted by stickboy9000
    i like this idea. might have to do a hive tyrant. i\'ll think and get sketches for ye.
    Holy WOW!! I\'ve seen your work before, and I would be honoured if you did a sketch for me!! As for the nids turning to Chaos, I figure they don\'t really have souls, so would Big Pappa Nurgle even bother turning them? IMHO, I figure he would just let them run amok, carrying his diseases with them, kinda like Jehovah\'s Witnesses !! :P

~MJD!

Unwitting hosts? That is an interesting concept...

Well remember that it took us billions of years to evolve and we\'ve been susceptible to cancer all the way, it\'s a basic disease of having DNA
    also tyranids as individuals don\'t evolve, they are reabsorbed into the flesh vats, broken down and their genes are recombined with others to create better creatures so if a hereditary disease, such as cistic fibrosis, Sickle Cell Anemia, Hemophilia A, Huntingtons and Ginger Hair :P so that could be one way, the lord of disease recombobulates the genes of a single gaunt to give it something hereditary, or even an inhabitant of the planet they\'re tearing up might have something nasty in his DNA, once reabsorbed this gene is replicated by the flesh vats (due to them either not recognizing the threat or it being disguised by nurgle) and then spread to the next generation, in this way the hive ship would never ben infected but it would dump waves of diseased nids onto future worlds
    the other way would be to make it infectious and have nurgle infect the hive ship, having done this the disease would infect everything aboard and again swarms of diseased gribble
    this idea could also allow for some great tyranid on tyranid scenarios based either on avoidance of the diseased hive or on eradicating it

Mr. John Doe

[i]this idea could also allow for some great tyranid on tyranid scenarios based either on avoidance of the diseased hive or on eradicating it
    OOOO:o, that would make a great game!!! Here are the colours I am thinking of using:
    Bestial Brown
    Kommando Khaki
    Catachan Green
    Tin Bitz
    Chestnut Ink
    Graveyard Earth
    Bleached Bone
    Camo Green
    Snakebite Leather
    Skull White
    Rotting Flesh...I want them to have a sickly green/yellow skintone w/ open sores and all that. I could use some advice here, I\'m a new-ish painter, should I lessen my colour choices? Thanks in advance!

~MJD!

Tin bitz...???
    Just wondering where that would be used in a nid force :P

As for the rest, that depends on where and how ur using them - most of the time I work by the idea of 3-4 main colours per figure (Not counting extra colours used for shading or highlighting those) or black and white.

I tend to like using a fair bit of metallics too, to get depth, but you probably won\'t be using any with nids (Hence my puzzlement over tin bitz!)

With nids though, you have more of a range of colour use, as you can utilise colours for varying areas of their pysiology.

MAINLY though, I\'d go with - 1-2 colours for fleshy areas, and another 1-2 for hard, carapace areas.

This\'ll give you a decent base to keep all the nids looking as though they are all \"related\"

From there, you can add some extra colours if you want.

Originally posted by DaN
    Tin bitz...???
    Just wondering where that would be used in a nid force :P
    About the only place I could think of using Tin Bitz on a nid would be the base coat on the carapace and then keeping a little bit of it in the highlight colours for a shiny, almost but not quite, irridescent look... That\'d be my guess but I could be wrong.

As for lessening your colour choices I think you\'ve got a fairly good selection... What works for me when doing sores and bruises and sometimes scars is to paint the area like the rest of the flesh at first, maybe highlighted a bit more, and then tone it with various glazes, red looks irritated and bloody, green looks infected, purple looks like bruises or subdermal hematoma. You can even combine different colours for really sickly looking nastyness. Since tyranids dont have the same physiology as humans (I\'m assuming on that one I dont really know), any colour could represent anything.

You could probably get more feedback if you listed the colours in a the area and how youd use them. ie. for flesh graveyard earth highlighted with camo green and a final highlight of rotting flesh. (Just an example of course, I have no idea whether that would look good at all...)

And as always pictures will get you more feedback than a description of what you want to do.

Good luck.

yeah pictures it\'s a cool concept..
    After all the Chaos gods have an eye on the whole universe and what\'s going on ..The nids are too big a threat to go unnoticed and it makes sense that nurgle would be the one to take advantage of them..a mass swarming host infecting them with the rot or some other concoction would be a good way of geting some blaket coverage great stuff look forward toprogress rewports and pictures....

Mr. John Doe

Ok, just got some new paints at the store, I think I\'m ready...

Base: Graveyard Earth
    High: Camo Green
    Magic Wash: Bubonic Brown or Yellow ink
    High 2: Rotting Flesh
    Final Wash: Bub. Brown or Yellow ink

Sores, bruises, pustules, etc. can be picked out later. This is just the main colour scheme for everyone. I think that...maybe...I shouldn\'t do the chitin armour a different tone, just give it an overall effect of a totally spread disease...maybe. Between work and wedding planning, I gotta find time to start painting, so lemme know what you think of the scheme, ok? Thanks in advance!

~MJD!:possessed:

I personally think while you dont need to do the chitin a different colour, you need to differentiate it from the flesh... But really it is a personal preference and it may work out fine to do them the same colour.

Mr. John Doe

Originally posted by emopainterguy
    I personally think while you dont need to do the chitin a different colour, you need to differentiate it from the flesh... But really it is a personal preference and it may work out fine to do them the same colour.
    Your right. I\'m gonna take your advise and try Tin Bitz on the very edges of the armour, just as a final highlight :D Thanks for the idea emo!!

~MJD!

Tin Bitz is a very dark colour, depending on how you are doing your armor/chitin it may be hard to do it as a final highlight... Perhaps using it as a very dilute glaze over the edges would work better than applying it as a highlight.

Sounds like a great idea to me looking forward to seeing some of the models, the back story sounded great :D

I\'m gonna get started on a tyranid conversion based on your outline.

Mr. John Doe

Originally posted by doomsayer
    I\'m gonna get started on a tyranid conversion based on your outline.
    WOW!! I never thought this idea would have taken off, but thanks to you guys, it has! Pleasepleaseplease send me your pics, WIP, sketches, whatever so that I can post them on the HFB website. If you do, also send me your names and all that so I can be sure that you have proper credit for all your hard work! Oh, and if anyone does commissions, I would like to talk price and ideas for a Hive Tyrant...:idea:

~MJD!

Mr. John Doe

Ok gang, here are the first pics of HFB. I like the colours, but I need ALOT of practice! I haven\'t painted since the old RT days, so my skills are a bit rusty to say the least:P

I based the exposed muscle purple, then did a highlight of red to give it a bruised look. I also put 2 coats of Bubonic Brown Magic Wash for a jaundiced skintone. Unfortunately, my camera sucks, so you can\'t see any of that very well. Comments, questions or complaints?

~MJD!

Looking pretty good for a re-start (I re-started painting less than a year ago myself.)
    Tried cleaning the pic up a bit for ya, though I am certain there are others who could do a better job.