What paints do you use?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What paints do you use?

Default What paints do you use?

I know this topic gets banded around quite a bit but I thought I\'d bring it together into one thread.

Also I\'ve just picked up a black, white & flesh colour in the humbrol (acrylic) range & wanted to know what you thought of them. I\'ve started to use the white. It\'s much thinner than the GW Skull white to begin with. Also it appears to thin down even further without going chalky. Haven\'t tried the black or flesh yet but I\'m hoping I\'ve found a cheaper but better quality to GW paints - also have a stockist 2 minutes from my door which makes getting them easy.

I use the GW stuff (only because I have a lot of it), P3, Vallejo Model Color, and I just picked up the RMS Black and white brush on primers (TY for the tip TAB). So here are my comments in a nutshell:
    GW - Fine for everyday work, blocking in color, and some are great (Kommando Khaki anyone?). I am a fan of the foundation paints
    VMC - I love the finish of these and the old dropper bottle is a plus. Not to mention the ridiculous number of colors and mediums that are part of the line.
    P3 - Great coverage and smooth mixing. Thamar black has replaced Chaos Black in all things.
    RMS - Only used it a couple times yet, but its sweet. I like the little mixer bit inside the bottle as well.

Other non-paint stuff on the table ATM:
    Liquitex Matte Medium - this is good for killing gloss mid paint. Not so much for a final seal.
    Liquitex Flow-Aid - I actually mix this in my own medium (thunderwash?) whose recipe is still fluctuating.
    Golden Retarder (insert special needs dog joke here) - this stuff is awesome for wet in wet blending. This also goes in the thunderwash.
    Future - \'nuff said.

Okay sorry about the longish response to a simple question but I got on a roll...

Moved to the land of Oz in March of 2014. Interesting place, Kansas.
    Blog Entries

Mostly Reaper master series with a bit of vallejo and GW thrown in. I have a couple of P3\'s and I\'m not above using craft paint if the colors are right.

Temporary Sanity

Have the VGC set, lots of Reaper Master Series and Pro Paints. Have 20 or so P3\'s, and a few Tamiya\'s.

Really like the P3s and RMS.

I\'m using
    90% Vallejo
    2% GW
    2% Foundry
    2% Reaper
    2% Windsor & Newtons Artists Acrylics
    1% Whatever I can Find.
    1% Saliva from Brush Licking.

(I\'d add in a percentage for Virgin Sacrifices...but hey this is Bolton I live in and Big Mick {Noneedforaname} used to live here as well.)lol

I\'m majority-switched to Reaper Master Series and will continue to do so as I need new paint, though I\'ve still got a bunch of GW and Vallejo Model that I\'ll happily use until they\'re gone.

I am using
    80% GW (I have a lot of it)
    16.5% Vallejo
    1% P3
    1% Reaper
    0.5% Foundry
    1% W & N and FW acrylic artists inks.
    I brush lick so better add that to the list but I am not admitting the percentage :D

I am also about to try some of the Mig Filters and pigments for weathering affects and I may try some Artists oils at a later stage as well although these will mainly be for terrain.

GW and P3 with a smattering of others.

I did learn a couple weeks ago that Vallejo Model Colors contain things like cadmium, especially in all their reds and yellows. So Id advide NOT to brush lick those.

I use primarily Reaper Master Series paints. (And inks and metallics, though those I use fairly rarely.) I\'ve been dabbling with the P3s a bit, but I have trouble consistently achieving dilutions that get the results I\'m accustomed to. It works a bit better for me if I use the P3s as a base and mix in RMS to layer up or down. I have a lot more paint that that, and will occasionally use other stuff for base work or minor things, but most of it just sits around mocking me for wasting my money. ;->

Well, at the moment I use GW, including the foundation paints. I have a few P3 but my current project doesn\'t require the colours at the moment so I haven\'t used them. I\'m having real trouble with the foundation paints and trying to do the \"juice\" thing or whatever, really diluted layers. It\'s far too patchy and the paint comes off too easily. I think I\'ll have to try a different paint or technique. I just was a smooth blend on a small area of black armour. It doesn\'t help, of course, that I try and paint when I\'m not up to it, sore eyes and unable to focus properly.

I use GW nearly all the time. Never had any problems with them. :)

I own a full set of VMC and VGC, but they are just sitting in a box. I never really liked them. I also own about half the set of Rackham paints, and I hate those.

I did buy a P3 set and im pretty impressed with them so far. :)

-Matt

I grew up 100% on GW and still have them, but since Gencon last year, i\'ve been steadily using P3 more and more, and I\'d say it\'s probably 60-40 P3 to GW now. I expect with the exception of a few colors, I will be using about 90% P3 here shortly

Blog Entries

Craft paints actually -

I like the coverage and the price is right.

Originally posted by Roger Bunting
    Well, at the moment I use GW, including the foundation paints. I have a few P3 but my current project doesn\'t require the colours at the moment so I haven\'t used them. I\'m having real trouble with the foundation paints and trying to do the \"juice\" thing or whatever, really diluted layers. It\'s far too patchy and the paint comes off too easily. I think I\'ll have to try a different paint or technique. I just was a smooth blend on a small area of black armour. It doesn\'t help, of course, that I try and paint when I\'m not up to it, sore eyes and unable to focus properly.
    Try a little matte medium with the water and your adhesion should be a bit better. I find that there is a ton more pigment than acrylic base, hence the flaking. The medium should even that out for you, as it has for me.

Does dish soap do a similar thing? I\'ve tried dish soap but it just made the removing of the paint easier, although the paint was applied more evenly.

Blog Entries

GW, Vallejo and P3 mainly. Some Tamiya (The clears). I\'m loving the P3 paints.

@RB - Idon\'t think so. The matte medium actually has acrylic polymer emulsion as the vehicle, so it is basically paint without the pigment. I use liquitex myself as it gives the best results (on canvas). I haven\'t tried other brands with minis but I am content with this at the moment, so no need.

Default what paints do you use?

Hi
    right now i have about 4 colors of GW (got on vacation)
    the other paints i use are Deco Art Americana acrylics, some times the paint doesn\'t feel smooth but chalky when you apply it to the model how do you fix this and if anyone can show be better paints and where to get them that would be very helpful. i live on an airforce base in japan and there are not any GW stores where i live so my only source is a craft store and the Base Exchange.
    thanks

Moved to the land of Oz in March of 2014. Interesting place, Kansas.
    Blog Entries

Originally posted by mr.bman
    Hi
    right now i have about 4 colors of GW (got on vacation)
    the other paints i use are Deco Art Americana acrylics, some times the paint doesn\'t feel smooth but chalky when you apply it to the model how do you fix this and if anyone can show be better paints and where to get them that would be very helpful. i live on an airforce base in japan and there are not any GW stores where i live so my only source is a craft store and the Base Exchange.
    thanks
    Can you buy on line? That\'s the best way.

As for the craft paint, I use that sometimes and there was a time when it was the only ting I had. Tracy (TABStudio) told me about magic wash and it works wonders. It\'s basicly an acrylic floor wax (for no wax floors) mixed with water. For craft paint do the wax/water mix at about 50/50. Other paints you can go with about half that much floor wax. Use this to thin the paints down. The floor wax smooths out the paint and makes it go on smoother. And if you get lumps you can actually brush the magic wash over the painted surface in layers and it will smooth out the finish. Just don\'t freak out at the gloss. It\'s really shiney and that goes away when you hit it with dull coat.

not a lot so i depend on going on vacation which is once a year to get GW paints. i also have a question about those Testors Enamel paints the ones you have to use paint thinner to clean the brush.
    thanks