I got my electric bill today - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I got my electric bill today

Last month we used 441.00 usd in electricity. We used no more than last year when the power bill cost 229.00 for that same amount.
    I went to average billing this last month after that whack hoping at least I get the average for the 12 months prior when it was a bit more reasonable.

My water bill now is double as well though I use less because of a well than last year.
    With in the last three months these increases have taken place

Coffin Dodger / Keymaster airhead's Avatar

ours was over$500 last month, we did not get our cooling afternoon rains this year.:(

Originally posted by lizcam
    $650.00 rounded up. Anyone got any spare change?
    I feel for ya, Liz. I do. If its any consolation, paid my first electric bill here in CO since moving from Palmdale. And rates are twice as expensive here. So it\'d be $1300 if you\'d been here.

Course, we laugh when the radio calls 94F here \"high temperatures\". It is to laugh. It hit 100F a week or two ago. Thought the radio announcers were going to explode from their exasperation. Need to send them to Baker for a week or two to watch the thermostat.

But then again, we bought a house WITHOUT air conditioning. After a decade in the high desert, I worried about that. Oh, sure the house has a wall unit in the family room, and one each in two of the four bedrooms, but... its got no AC.

Now? I\'m writing this in the basement. And I\'m actually a little cold, and thankful I brought socks.

Gonna be a cold December, but since the grass is gonna die, I\'ll have time to paint!

Originally posted by steelcult
    Actually Liz in the desert you don\'t have to have AC - it is a convenience. If your home were constructed in a manner that takes advantage of natural cooling and insulation your Electicity Bill would not be quite as bad.
    And that\'s true to a point. Our house there was built in 2000 with 8in thick walls, tons of insulation, and all that fancy jazz. We usually didn\'t have to turn on the AC until August. And its August. For all us soft civies, when it doesn\'t cool off at night it gets unpleasant. Petite delicate flowers like lizcam wilt in heat like that. And I really don\'t want her wilting all over everything. It is such a pain to clean off. lol

And I won\'t set foot in Texas this time of year unless I have to. Had to go to Borger last week (north of Amarillo). It probably was half of the humidity further south and it still sucked.

My parents had a $1200 electric bill last summer.

My worst was last August, $600, and I live in a 3 bedroom apartment.

Electric/Electricity/etc..

I pay a friggin\' \"Power Bill\". So there.

And...EMC, which is a common acronym for power companies here in the states--

Is, in fact, an \"Electric Membership Corporation\"----

And from an EMC, you don\'t buy \"Electricity\"---you buy \"Electric Energy\"---by their definition....

So there...:D

nah mate you have to pay the \"powerfull bill\" :P

To add to the nomenclature confusion, many Canadians call this the hydro bill, as we are billed by hydro electric companies.

After 30+ days of over 95 degree weather, I\'m dreading my next bill quite a bit, regardless of what it\'s called. :no: I wouldn\'t mind as much if the air conditioning I\'m paying for had been effective, but about all it does is keep it 5-8 degrees cooler than outside at best. Turns out the bill I really have to dread is the one for the completely new heating and air conditioning system we need to buy before the current last legs one gives out. (And what really sucks about that is the outside AC unit isn\'t that old as it was replaced when a tree fell on it a few years ago. But they\'ve changed the requirements and we wouldn\'t be able to buy an inside unit that works with it anymore. :-< So now I\'m going to have to waste a bunch of time I\'d rather spend painting getting estimates and so on.)

I don\'t get it, how can electricity bills be so high ??? 650$ for most people is like half a months salary, not not mention that it\'s about 65 times higher than mine. Even if I wanted to, I wouldn\'t be able to get my bill up to 650 !!

Moved to the land of Oz in March of 2014. Interesting place, Kansas.
    Blog Entries

Originally posted by frenchkid
    I don\'t get it, how can electricity bills be so high ??? 650$ for most people is like half a months salary, not not mention that it\'s about 65 times higher than mine. Even if I wanted to, I wouldn\'t be able to get my bill up to 650 !!
    If you want to get political, it all started with Texas reaming California on a power deal a few years ago. After that the prices never really went down. The same thing happens with gasoline. We\'re paying $2.70 a gallon right now and this is amazingly low for us. This year we were over $3.50 for months. Everyone figures California is made of gold. I make a pretty good living for anywhere but California. In California, I\'m barely above the poverty level. If I made what I make right now in Wisconsin where my Dad lives I\'d be in the top tax bracket there.

Blog Entries

Well, your then Gov and the State Assembly shouldn\'t have agreed to the contract with Enron to begin with - but it was cheaper than trying to push new power plants through anywhere in Cali.

Blog Entries

I love you steelcult, even if you are the enemy. The next civil war will be between Texas and California but will only happen if we can get enough Californians to stop looking in the mirror long enough to mount an attack. I think Texas is safe. Untill the Big One. Then all the mirrors will break, we\'ll lose half our land and need to find somewhere to move Hollywood. Then Texas will be in real trouble.

Um.....Which end of the rifle does the bullet come out of? ;)

Official Freak Bar Witch wiccanpony's Avatar

I love you steelcult, even if you are the enemy. The next civil war will be between Texas and California but will only happen if we can get enough Californians to stop looking in the mirror long enough to mount an attack. I think Texas is safe. Untill the Big One. Then all the mirrors will break, we\'ll lose half our land and need to find somewhere to move Hollywood. Then Texas will be in real trouble.

:D Hey!!! I got to look my “best” before we attack Texas......some of them bad boys are mighty cute and it’s Friday, I could get lucky a snag a hot date with one. :)

[i]

Umm the little end with the hole.. don\'t have a peak inside while pulling the trigger as it tends to leave a mess..

As for why your electric is so high, from what I remember reading many new electric plants built in CA over the last decade were gas fired turbines (think really big jet engine) so your paying high natural gas prices to make electricity which in turn makes Natural Gas more expensive for us Midwestern folks who need it to keep from freezing to death in the winter time while your complaining its \"Chilly\" when its 60F outside LOL

My electric bills in the summer are ok, August is always the worst month but its my Gas bills in the winter that kill me.. Ill get 2-3 months straigh at $350.00 or more to heat my place.

Texas vs Cali, no suprise... I\'ll just be here in Arizona watching the war and trying to keep the illegals from crossing the border. Oh and Liz, if it makes you feel better the electricity bills in Arizona always sees $300 to $400 a month in the summer time. Whoever thought building a city in a valley in a desert was smart, probably never lived here in July and August.

I just got mine through yesterday :(

Theiving gits have just put it up by 25% so I\'m now paying an astronomical £41 a month. Time to switch companies I reckon

Blog Entries

Originally posted by Undave
    I just got mine through yesterday :(

Theiving gits have just put it up by 25% so I\'m now paying an astronomical £41 a month. Time to switch companies I reckon
    Undave, yu are a sweetheart and we couldn\'t live without you but right now...

I hate you.

I post from work mostly. but it\'s really hot in the desert and you just can\'t live without air conditioning.
    s o l a r :idea:

@ lizcam - $650/month. That is painful! Have you converted your living room into a meat locker or something?

@Onis Lair - $300 a month seems high - are you with APS? We pay about $150 a month, but I think we are on some sort of \"even pay\" deal where the amount is averaged out to equal payments over the whole year.

I agree that those of us foolish enough to live in the desert should consider solar panels. In Arizona we have easily over 300 sunny days per year. The main reason I haven\'t pursued solar is that I haven\'t taken the time to find out cost/logististics to have a system installed and hooked up to the grid. I understand that if you generate more energy than you use, the Electric (no, I am not going to be swayed by you grammar snobs) company will actually pay you for your extra power. Could be a rumor though.

Anyone out there gone solar?

Originally posted by treide
    @ lizcam - $650/month. That is painful! Have you converted your living room into a meat locker or something?

@Onis Lair - $300 a month seems high - are you with APS? We pay about $150 a month, but I think we are on some sort of \"even pay\" deal where the amount is averaged out to equal payments over the whole year.

I agree that those of us foolish enough to live in the desert should consider solar panels. In Arizona we have easily over 300 sunny days per year. The main reason I haven\'t pursued solar is that I haven\'t taken the time to find out cost/logististics to have a system installed and hooked up to the grid. I understand that if you generate more energy than you use, the Electric (no, I am not going to be swayed by you grammar snobs) company will actually pay you for your extra power. Could be a rumor though.

Anyone out there gone solar?
    Some time ago,I did a quick cost analysis on solar/vs Grid and here\'s what I found for my area.
    The cost for the panels alone to take myself of the grid, would be over $200,000, then there comes in the back up battery packs which easily go into another $50,000, add in the maintenance cost of around $500 a year.

I think I calculated that if I paid the average amount of $180 a month (My average Electric bill) I would be paying off those panels for around 145 years, not including interest on the loan.

The cost of panels generating enough to get money back from the electric company, was not enough to offset the huge payments, and ended up looking like a horrible investment Plus with the hurricanes and torrential downpours in Louisiana , It would seem that the yearly maintenance could be much, much higher than $500 per year.

Also the fact that after the batteries die, they are a huge environmental hazard.

All these things have left me very cold towards solar energy.

However, those with much higher electric bills than my own may benefit from this.
    Quick Tip - get rid of your CRT monitors for LCD monitors, LCD generate a lot less heat, making your computer room easier, and cheaper to cool.

Hey Liz check out the natural phenomenon thread. Maybe if you concentrate really hard on being cool then your brain will start to believe it

Stay cool baby :cool: