Do I paint weirdly?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do I paint weirdly?

Default Do I paint weirdly?

I\'ve been looking at others\' \"in process\" photos of minis, and I think I\'ve discovered I paint in a \"weird\" way compared to others.

I paint my base colors on the *entire* mini, then go back and start shading and highlighting. I notice a lot of folks seem to do one area (i.e. face, cloak, etc) to completion, and then move on.

Is there any disadvantage to the way I do it? One advantage I see in my method is that I can paint adjoining areas without fear of destroying a perfectly done area.

Am I wrong, right, doesn\'t matter?

???

Blog Entries

I don\'t think it matters. i just wouldn\'t highlight to the same level if I had to come back and highlight the section after basing it what usually ends up being several days before.

Originally posted by MrMorden
    I\'ve been looking at others\' \"in process\" photos of minis, and I think I\'ve discovered I paint in a \"weird\" way compared to others.

I paint my base colors on the *entire* mini, then go back and start shading and highlighting. I notice a lot of folks seem to do one area (i.e. face, cloak, etc) to completion, and then move on.

Is there any disadvantage to the way I do it? One advantage I see in my method is that I can paint adjoining areas without fear of destroying a perfectly done area.

???
    Nope. That is pretty much what I do. Only, I like it better to start from all my shaded colors, and then work my way up to the highlights. It is kinda easier when I decide beforehand what colors go where, but sometimes I can leave some uncertain areas white until I decide wich color use there to complement the overall color scheme.

Grumbold Ironbrow

Default Matters not...

Originally posted by MrMorden

???
    Mr. M.;

I don\'t think it really matters. you just have to paint in the manner that is most comfortable to you. I like to complete the fleshy areas first then work my way out so to speak. But to each their own.

Cheers,
    Grumb :cool:

yeah i paint all the base color down 1st but i think for pros this may be a bit boring who have to do it all the time. no clue though.

It seems a very sensible method particularly if you are using your own colour schemes - you get a very quick idea what the mini will look like early on - never got on with it myself though!

Default Sometimes... sometimes

I paint the base colors down with a single figure.

Often when there is trouble deciding on colors. Normally I \"complete\" a section first.

But usually this is reserved for doing rank and file army painting. So I\'d paint 20 guys with dark green cloaks and then paint 40 of their boots in bestial brown.

I\'m always trying to get things done a little better and a little more efficiently than the last time (doesn\'t always work:( ). So its fair to say that my painting habits are always changing as I experiment and learn new stuff. I would think all of us are like this (bad or good). So maybe compare how you are painting now to how you will be doing it in 6 months time.

Just my 2 cents really.:P Ignore it if you like

Default Yes, it is weird...

Just the fact that you take your time to dip a brush into paint, and apply it to a little metal figure makes you a little weird.

:P:P

You, me, and thousands of other such people!

I apply my darkest shade color as my \"base coat\" and then build up highlights from there. I rarely start with a mid color and then shade and highlight.

Does anyone else do this? Or am I weird....oops answered that already!!lol

Do you think thousands? That\'s a lot of weird people, but then there are millions of people watching \"reality\" TV shows. And they think we live in a fantasy world painting our little figures.

I paint in a very similar way. Tend to get a base coat of the major colors in place and all those little paint gaps merged then I go back to do the highlighting, and finally the little details. Some of the really good painters I\'ve seen work (like Lilliana Troy) seem to work on individual areas and shading all the way to near completion, hmmmmm... Maybe I should give that a try!lol:P

Default My two cents are...

Abe #1: I start with the eyes to completion, then I start from the darkest flesh color and then with all the colors work my way out ALL OVER the mini.

Abe #2: My guess is that some do the single parts so they can do wet blending, but what do I know? lol
    :flip::bouncy::flip:

Actually, I have tried that before, but I got bored just painting the base colours all at once. I think your technique is kinda nice, as it gives you a good feel for the mini beforehand, and it makes the whole process go faster once you\'ve basecoated it. Like I said, would do that if I had the patience....... :)

One technique used by guys at our wargaming club on 15mil figures does this.
    They undercoat white, block colours in using brighter colours than usual. Once the entire figure is painted, they cover the whole thing in winsor newton nut brown, I think mixed with johnsons klear ( floor varnish). This shades and brown-lines at once. The intention is reasonable on table result at speed.

I complete each colour at a time because I want the original colour still wet in case I need to fix stuff. Some techniques I use rely on the blocked colour still being wet.

I sometimes do as you do when appropriate (where it quikens the painting) Depends a lot on the mini too. Nothing wrong with it though.:flip:

Default Actually...

there is a right and a wrong way to paint. Your way is wrong... way wrong! I\'m surprised no one has mentioned it to you. Can\'t you feel that there is something wrong with you? Don\'t you feel disconnected from the mini?

The best way, and by best I mean right, is to form a relationship with the mini. I name all of mine. Then take it out to dinner. Don\'t go cheap! by it the Lobster. And don\'t buy yourself a Lobster and say, \"it\'s the mini\'s.\" A movie is not a good place to take the mini because you just don\'t get to know each other. Go to the park. It is important to rub the mini a lot and talk about the future. Ask the mini what colors are his favorite. What food does the mini like. Eventually, if you\'ve loved the mini enough, it will become real to you and you\'ll see all the colors it should be. Then you\'ll get Scarlet Fever and have to burn all the minis, but life is all about sacrifices.

Actually, I do it similarly to MrMorden. I paint the face completely, highlights and all. Then I paint the base colors to everything else. Then, one color at a time, I highlight the rest of the mini. I\'m still up in the air on when to do the base.

barkel

Default Heh

Thanks for all the replies, I guess I\'m not a mental midget after all! :bouncy:

Supervike, I do my base coat in the color I pretty much want to end up with, then shad down with washes. Then I build the highs back up, and eventually highlight with a color somewhat lighter than the base.

I\'m starting to change my basing. I used to just paint the mini, then paint/flock the base, then glue the two together. Now I pin the mini\'s feet, drill the base with a pin vise (I don\'t like slot bases), paint the mini, paint the base, glue the two together, then flock if necessary.

But, as the thread seems to be going...vive la difference!

Originally posted by barkel

The best way, and by best I mean right, is to form a relationship with the mini. I name all of mine. Then take it out to dinner. Don\'t go cheap! by it the Lobster. And don\'t buy yourself a Lobster and say, \"it\'s the mini\'s.\" A movie is not a good place to take the mini because you just don\'t get to know each other. Go to the park. It is important to rub the mini a lot and talk about the future. Ask the mini what colors are his favorite. What food does the mini like. Eventually, if you\'ve loved the mini enough, it will become real to you and you\'ll see all the colors it should be. Then you\'ll get Scarlet Fever and have to burn all the minis, but life is all about sacrifices.
    barkel
    Hey, you do that to?! I\'ve tried taking it out for dinner, but it made me feel dirty, seeing as how I was taking out a spacemarine. Try couples counseling, along with some deep meditation. This will help you get to know the mini on a spiritual level, instead of just having a physical relationship......mmmmm.... actually, physical relationships with minis aren\'t a good idea, even if you\'re a desperate teen like me.....:)...:(

I tried the lobster, but it ended in disaster as I fell in love with the lobster, and now have a pic of her as my avatar. Last I heard the mini commited paintstrip:(

Originally posted by DennisMech
    I tried the lobster, but it ended in disaster as I fell in love with the lobster, and now have a pic of her as my avatar. Last I heard the mini commited paintstrip:(
    :):):)

Default Wet brushing...

This is a highly guarded secret of mine. shhh! It is a mixture of two technics: wet blending and drybrushing. I mix my highlight colors and take a little off to the side add 1/2 to 2/3 water and dip in my brush. I then wipe the brush on a piece of wood until it appears to have no paint on it like drybushing then appy to the areas I want to highlight. :idea: It works the same way drybrusing does but with the added water it doesn\'t leave those harsh edges they seem to blend in like wet blending. It\'s the simplest way I\'ve found to finish armys with out dipping them in Krylonlol
    :flip::bouncy::flip:

Default wow...

Originally posted by barkel
    SNIP

barkel
    You are a very very sick individual.

I mean that as a compliment....lollollollol