Bolters Vs. boltpistols

Thread: Bolters Vs. boltpistols

Default Bolters Vs. boltpistols

Ok, here\'s the question. What (and I\'m thinking in real world terms here) is the different between a bolter and a boltpistol. I\'m wondering why every SM isn\'t equipped with a boltpistol and a chainsword Vs. just a bolter.
    Here the thinking. Both fire the same ammunition, my understanding, (68 to 72mm, don\'t remember to be honest), and the round is a semi-intelligent micro missile, that uses a powderless, caseless shell to fire from the weapon, and then fires a rocket after exiting the barrel, exploding inside the target using a mass reacting fuse. So performance wise the length of the barrel has nothing to do with accuracy right? So the only things that I can think of are 1. The bolter itself has a better targeting suite (larger size, more room) 2. The bolts are \'laser\' guided and the use of two hands with a bolter give greater stability, making it easier to paint the target. 3. Larger clip size (spray and pray)

Any ideas?
    Thanks Brian

The reasons you give are all very good, actually . The main reason, though, consists of two simple words: game balance. But, as you said, in real life mechanics, there should be little reason not to use pistols all the time.

Oh, btw: Since the bolter ammo are practically small rockets, the art division was asked why they still painted bolters and bolt pistols that fire and eject shells. The answer: \"\'cause it looks cool.\" So much for real life applicability ;)) Hope that helps

Bolter has rapid fire option, larger clip, stabilized with weight, and is an icon for space marines. pistols are for ghetto marines. rap isn\'t cool kids.

Blog Entries

Shut yo mouth foo\'!

Bust a big ol\' bolt in yo ass lol

here\'s the difference

Boltgun - Rapid Fire, range 24\"

Bolt Pistol - Can be used in assault, range 12\"

So if they all had bolt pistols and chainswords, then would\'nt be able to shoot half as much as they do with a Boltgun

In real life? pfft. no idea.

In game? pistol = another power fist attack. (Wait, you can shoot them too?!?)