PC keeps re-setting..

Thread: PC keeps re-setting..

Default PC keeps re-setting..

...all by it\'s self, at random intervals. Anywhere from just logging onto the PC to when I\'m right in the middle of doing something important, from minutes to hours.
    eg. I\'ve got about 12 bags of green leaves that I\'ve attempted to list about 4 times now. :mad::mad:
    It\'s driving me nuts! I\'ve done numerious virus and anti-spy scans, using several products. I\'m on the verge of formatting the drive and re-installing
    I\'ve got Spybot S&D running at the moment, to see if it can find something (before a re-set)
    Any ideas, suggetions, web sites etc welcome :(

Your CPU may be overheating and protecting itself. You might want to check if the fans are running ok/the thing isn\'t full of dust, and also check your bios as to what the protect temp is.

Could also be an intermittent power problem - or about a million other things!

Shaz

Mine was doing this about a month ago, wound up having to replace the processor. :(

first definitely check the fan to see if it\'s a clog issue, or the fan isn\'t working any more. Overheating will cause the CPU to shut everything off.

Second, if that\'s not the problem and you think it may be a power issue, go to the store and get a UPS (uninterruptible power supply) and use it as your power strip. If you are losing power it will send an error message and try to regulate the voltage feeding into your computer. It will also give you several minutes of backup time to shut things down properly so hardware or files are not corrupted.

If you are still having problems take your computer to your local electronics store and have them run a diagnostic. I had this issue when I had one bad stick of RAM and a bad hard drive. Once I got those replaced it was working fine (still is!)

Hi Shaz
    yeah I thought about that, so I\'ve left one side off, the fan is running at max, and it\'s had a good hoover out
    haven\'t checked the bios yet, (didn\'t think of that),I\'ll have a look next time
    when it reboots, If I remember correctly,(which isn\'t all that often these days lol ) the CPU temp around 40°C.
    the PSU is relatively new, so I\'m giving that the benefit of the doubt

As it\'s only recently started doing it I\'m hoping the spybot S&D will find some sneaky little culprit hiding within the bowels
    It\'s long overdue an upgrade anyway, new motherboard,and I was thinking of a quad core CPU, but they are a little pricey :D

I think the next thing to try is: remove all the cards from the computer, and re-insert them, with a bit of a jiggle to make sure good contact is made. You could do the same with all the other connectors too. It\'s quite amazing how many odd problems this procedure solves. Do the same with the RAM. Got an airbrush compressor? Blow all the dust out of the whole computer, don\'t neglect the power supply.

After that, well, it\'s time to start replacing hardware, me things. First the power supply. No matter how new those things are, a teeny little fault will make the computer reset, besides, it\'s one of the cheaper bits to replace. See, the next to try replacing is the motherboard... :D a faulty track can cause severe indigestion.

I really doubt that this is caused by software, and I really doubt that re-installing will help anything. More than likely, the computer will decide to reset itself while you\'re re-installing, just because it loves you so much.

Originally posted by Fizl
    Your CPU may be overheating and protecting itself. You might want to check if the fans are running ok/the thing isn\'t full of dust, and also check your bios as to what the protect temp is.

Shaz
    Oooh, I love it when a girl talks nerdy.lol

Originally posted by mickc22
    Hi Shaz
    yeah I thought about that, so I\'ve left one side off, the fan is running at max, and it\'s had a good hoover out
    Nooooooo Never hoover, always blow dust away. You can accidently suck up Jumper switches and flex some mother boards to the point where they can \"pop\" the micro soldering.
    Seen it happen quite a few times!

Originally posted by Evil Dave

Shaz
    Oh baby, Enable my DMZ....

Hmmm....the jokes that could be made with SQL inner joins....lol

Shaz

It sounds like a problem I had as well where the power supply was dying. It\'s been years, but I think I just replace the power supply and it stopped. A possible thing to try before replacing hardware: see if resetting the bios might help (if all else has already failed). You can usually fidn the instructions to do so in your motherboard\'s instruction book or online.

Shaz

Shaz
    Oh, man. You made me snort at work.
    How embarrassing. lol

Originally posted by hakoMike

Shaz

Shaz
    Oh, man. You made me snort at work.
    How embarrassing. lol
    And was it good for you? Video evidence?

Shaz