lets kill god...or the golden compass as seen by 8th graders
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: lets kill god...or the golden compass as seen by 8th graders

Default lets kill god...or the golden compass as seen by 8th graders

hate to be the person to start another thread to tick someone off...but i picked up the golden compass this weekend and today while i was in class i was met by at least 10 students saying that i was going to hell for reading it....being that i had no clue what they were talking about ....i found out that many of the local churches *thank god not mine* are protesting the movie and book because one of the characters threatens to kill god...not necessarily the christian god but a god nonetheless. i honestly dont care if they try to do it or succeed but yet again i am forced to ask myself, if people have such a problem with it, then read the book first and then pass judgement. its the same as the old harry potter stuff, along with red badge of courage and further back to other such books. the interesting fact is that most of these books (with the exception of the satanic verses) have become literary giants and catapulted them even further than before.

*ahem* *uber gets off soapbox*

Well If you\'re going to Hell anyway you might as well have something to read on the way down :twisted:

Moved to the land of Oz in March of 2014. Interesting place, Kansas.
    Blog Entries

I went to a school were all the best parts of all classic books were taped shut or crossed out. Nothing made any sense to me until I got out of school and read all those books in thier true form.

My point is, keeping things from kids doesn\'t make them better people, it makes them unprepared for the real world. Better to let them see and ask questions. At least that way you can have a chance at controlling the reactions.

But then I would never win mother of the year. :twisted:

I like it when the wackos go a bit too far!

It really shows their true colors.

Give them enough rope and...well you know the rest.

I\'d say that\'s what you get for letting Puritans found your nation... but a quick Google search will reveal that one of the latest attempts to ban this book from schools is happening here in Canada.

If threatening to kill an unspecified diety is enough to warrant spending eternity in a lake of fire dont let them find out about the C\'tan of Warhammer 40k!

Also tell them a large section of the Bible covers \"Judge not lest ye be judged\". :D

Official Freak Bar Witch wiccanpony's Avatar

:innocent: I don\'t believe in Hell...... will have to read the book ......... I heard about the hoopla over the movie and book, some people need to get a hobby:beer:

It get\'s worse as you read the \"Compass\" trilogy! Oddly enough, I just finished them all. (children\'s books these days are really good!) I don\'t want to spoil it for those who may read it but if \"they\" are mad about the talk of killing this god in book one, they will be really annoyed by book three!

I hate when people superficially read something and then assume to understand it and, subsequently, rail against it. I think the whole hubbub is silly, and frankly, any time a church tells me they are going to boycott a book, I put it on my reading list. Whether I agree with the book or not, ignorance is not the best way to deal with something you don\'t like.

Originally posted by azcrwr
    It get\'s worse as you read the \"Compass\" trilogy! Oddly enough, I just finished them all. (children\'s books these days are really good!) I don\'t want to spoil it for those who may read it but if \"they\" are mad about the talk of killing this god in book one, they will be really annoyed by book three!
    Don\'t worry, \"they\" never actually read the book they want to burn.

\"His Dark Materials\" by Philip Pullman, The golden compass trilogy are fantastic, but I do agree with you uber.

I personally have read the entire trilogy (three books) and its a very nice read, great plot and nice characters, but I can see why the local churches would protest against it..whoever read the trilogy would know..i hope.

Although I think these local churches who are protesting don`t have a clue about the books because they probably haven`t read it, but literally, I think that if you dont completely understand the concept behind a book and protest against it because one of the character\'s threaten to kill god: Read the damn book and understand, then do whatever the heck you wanna do afterwards.

Its utterly pointless to protest without knowing any knowledge about what your protesting about.
    Silax

Hey Uber,

Sorry to hear your 8th graders are so sheltered, I guess I am spoiled by a principal and students who do not buy into that crap. Of course I have been suggesting my kids read that book so I might be into some stuff soon lol...

Now kids I want you all to read Harry Potter and help me draw a pentagram on the floor in 6th grader blood.

Originally posted by SilAx
    \"His Dark Materials\" by Philip Pullman, The golden compass trilogy are fantastic, but I do agree with you uber.

I personally have read the entire trilogy (three books) and its a very nice read, great plot and nice characters, but I can see why the local churches would protest against it..whoever read the trilogy would know..i hope.

Although I think these local churches who are protesting don`t have a clue about the books because they probably haven`t read it, but literally, I think that if you dont completely understand the concept behind a book and protest against it because one of the character\'s threaten to kill god: Read the damn book and understand, then do whatever the heck you wanna do afterwards.

Its utterly pointless to protest without knowing any knowledge about what your protesting about.
    Silax
    To be fair, Phillip Pullman has stated that there are themes of atheism in the trilogy.

Originally posted by beowulfthehunter
    Now kids I want you all to read Harry Potter and help me draw a pentagram on the floor in 6th grader blood.
    Get with the times! Its supposed to be blood from the Kindergarten tots with a yew wand cut from the tree at midnight on All Hallow\'s Eve while chanting the lyrics from AC/DC\'s Hell\'s Bells repeatedly until Ralph (Satan\'s personal assistant) finally shows up to ask you to please keep it down as they\'re all resting for the days activities.

Originally posted by AinuLainour
    Originally posted by SilAx

Silax
    To be fair, Phillip Pullman has stated that there are themes of atheism in the trilogy.
    To be fair- so what? This sort of \"I am against it because someone told me to be\" crap is just small minded ignorance (not you Ian - the religious zealots who go on about this sort of crap).

To call for a ban on material simply because it goes against your belief is arrogance in the extreme.

Blog Entries

Originally posted by Swordwind
    Also tell them a large section of the Bible covers \"Judge not lest ye be judged\". :D
    From my experience, this is one of the scriptures taken out of context most. The Bible says that as a warning, not as an instruction not to judge. There is in fact an outline for righetous judgment given in the Bible that no one seems to mention.

Anyway...

They already tried to kill God in Star Trek V. I think he survived.

Back to the slightly more serious topic... I think if you don\'t want your kids to see a movie/read a book, then tell them not to see the movie/read the book. Don\'t try to make the government raise your kids for you.

Originally posted by No Such Agency
    I\'d say that\'s what you get for letting Puritans found your nation... but a quick Google search will reveal that one of the latest attempts to ban this book from schools is happening here in Canada.
    Ah makes me glad I am an atheistic ex-catholic. :D

Originally posted by Jericho
    They already tried to kill God in Star Trek V. I think he survived.
    Yeah, all they managed to kill there was the ST franchise.

lol

i read this stupid book once that told me i was going to hell....

didn\'t even have any plot. :flame:

Hmm, I think I\'m totally damned as I\'ve read Preacher and Hellblazer. Also the Mystery Plays should be banned.