lets kill god...or the golden compass as seen by 8th graders - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: lets kill god...or the golden compass as seen by 8th graders

The books are superb, really really well written and creative. All these hyper-religious types are so backward! It\'s a freakin\' book! It\'s like that teacher from the UK who might spend years in jail in Sudan for letting a class of 7-year-olds name a teddy bear Mohammed, as it \"insults the prophet\'. Absolute bollocks.

Originally posted by Roger Bunting
    Hmm, I think I\'m totally damned as I\'ve read Preacher and Hellblazer. Also the Mystery Plays should be banned.
    Try Chronicles of Wormwood, also from Garth Ennis. It\'s even more damnationifying than Preacher.

Blog Entries

lol lol how can you get more damning than preacher?! He KILLS god! lol
    Mind you The saint killed satan, so I guess theres harmony:rolleyes:

One of the biggest MMOs, FFXI, guess what you do in that? You work towards areas wheeeeerrrEEE...You kill gods. I\'m thrice damned!
    Far too much brainwashing, not enough free thinking in the world today. Thats what I reckon.

Originally posted by Torn blue sky
    lol lol how can you get more damning than preacher?! He KILLS god! lol
    Mind you The saint killed satan, so I guess theres harmony:rolleyes:
    Well, maybe not MORE...but...somehow feels ickier.

Let\'s just say it\'s kind of a buddy movie in comic form, in which the main character Wormwood (son of Satan) and Jesus (who, having arrived on Earth for the second coming, basically says screw these people, I ain\'t goin through that again cause they don\'t care and becomes a complete burnout instead) try to stop plans for Armageddon, cause they just don\'t want to be bothered.

Throw in an Australian Pope who spends most of the series in compromising positions with nuns, a buggery scene involving Wormwood and Joan of Arc, and the climactic showdown between Satan and God (who can\'t keep his hand out of his pants long enough to utter two words to anyone) and...well...you get the idea.

I think if you don\'t want your kids to see a movie/read a book, then tell them not to see the movie/read the book. Don\'t try to make the government raise your kids for you.
    Depends on the age of your children. When they are very young it is your duty as a parent to make these decisions for them. As they get older, you should perhaps be teaching them to think for themselves and make up their own minds?

Originally posted by dougaderly
    I hate when people superficially read something and then assume to understand it and, subsequently, rail against it. I think the whole hubbub is silly, and frankly, any time a church tells me they are going to boycott a book, I put it on my reading list. Whether I agree with the book or not, ignorance is not the best way to deal with something you don\'t like.
    This is assuming they ever read the book. Religious right usually don\'t do such things, they rely on higher authority (local minister) to do that for them. As sad as it sounds even higher authority (local minister) often didn\'t read the book either (caught some local churches on this at least twice) they rely on even higher authority such as Pat Robertson and such.

As for killing Gods.. Being an avid a Final Fantasy fun some time ago I personally delivered killing blow to at least 3 Gods lollol

well, I understand the churches: they have to protect their copyright, after all god belongs to them, they invented it - and think of the merchandising!
    Now look at this and tell me if you want your kids to read that!

I haven\'t read the books, in fact I\'ve only recently heard of them, but I\'m quite curious. Oooooo, dangerous content! Look out! :o :rolleyes:

So has anyone here read them? I\'m curious if you got the impression that Pullman was implicitly (or explicitly) referencing Christianity (or maybe just certain established churches?) or whether it seemed completely apocryphal.... part of his story world with some familiar naming but no real connection to real world religion. (Contrasted to Narnia, which does not refer to Christianity by name, but clearly echoes it.)

Originally posted by hakoMike
    I haven\'t read the books, in fact I\'ve only recently heard of them, but I\'m quite curious. Oooooo, dangerous content! Look out! :o :rolleyes:

So has anyone here read them? I\'m curious if you got the impression that Pullman was implicitly (or explicitly) referencing Christianity (or maybe just certain established churches?) or whether it seemed completely apocryphal.... part of his story world with some familiar naming but no real connection to real world religion. (Contrasted to Narnia, which does not refer to Christianity by name, but clearly echoes it.)
    Pullman refers to organized religion in general. These books were written almost 10 years ago and such a sudden interest is mostly because of the movie. I think I finished the whole trilogy at least 2-3 years ago give or take.

Blog Entries

Originally posted by Jericho
    Originally posted by Swordwind
    Also tell them a large section of the Bible covers \"Judge not lest ye be judged\". :D
    From my experience, this is one of the scriptures taken out of context most. The Bible says that as a warning, not as an instruction not to judge. There is in fact an outline for righetous judgment given in the Bible that no one seems to mention.

Anyway...

You beat me to this one. This is always trotted out tirelessly by folks who usually haven\'t read the book. Since that\'s the point (reading a book before professing understanding of it) of several posts in this thread I know no one here is guilty of that. :)

On topic: No one (that I\'m aware of) is trying to ban this book. I have seen circulars going around to Christians who are boycotting it. Big difference. That\'s how capitalism works. We vote with our dollars. If a group of consumers decide not to buy things, the things don\'t sell well. I haven\'t seen anyone advocate \"banning\" the books or film. My personal philosophy in raising my 3 sons: I should screen what they read. If they are old enough to understand the themes then they can read it. All books they read are discussed with me. We talk about what they liked or did not like, what they thought the book was trying to convey to the reader etc. Then we talk about how those themes fit into the framework of what they have been taught regarding faith, God and the universe. This is what it means to be a parent. One thing they are taught \"religiously\" is that government involvement in making choices for people is inherently bad.

Personally I thought it was a rather poor book. And consequently didn\'t bother with the other two.

As for the You\'re going to Hell Comment. I have a somewhat stock answer:

\"Didn\'t know you had access to the Book of Judgement. Or are you just being arrogant to assume you have the same knowledge as your God?\"

Put a couple of Bible Bashers in their place with that once.

Blog Entries

Originally posted by Dragonsreach
    Personally I thought it was a rather poor book. And consequently didn\'t bother with the other two.

As for the You\'re going to Hell Comment. I have a somewhat stock answer:

\"Didn\'t know you had access to the Book of Judgement. Or are you just being arrogant to assume you have the same knowledge as your God?\"

Put a couple of Bible Bashers in their place with that once.
    I hope you didn\'t think I was insinuating something like that?!?

In fact I don\'t think I\'ve ever heard a Christian tell someone they\'re going to hell. I\'m sure it happens, I just have never witnessed it.

Blog Entries

I have.

Of course I grew up in Waco.

Originally posted by Dragonsreach

gonna have to steal that one

for me there is no better advertisationg for something than the church damning it!

as father ted said:
    \"down with this sort of thing!\"
    \"careful now!\"

Originally posted by philologus

In fact I don\'t think I\'ve ever heard a Christian tell someone they\'re going to hell. I\'m sure it happens, I just have never witnessed it.
    Christmas Eve 4 years ago my cousin who was 13 at the time told me that because I believe in evolution, I am not catholic (or any christian for that matter) that I\'m going to hell.

Yup, it happened. At Christmas Dinner . . . that was fun . . . I feel sorry for anyone who is that closed minded because it means that they are going to dislike and condemn people from whom they could actually learn and be friends with. But all because someone isn\'t a believer they are apparently condemned to hell and not worth the while.

Originally posted by fieldarchy
    Christmas Eve 4 years ago my cousin who was 13 at the time told me that because I believe in evolution, I am not catholic (or any christian for that matter) that I\'m going to hell.

Yup, it happened. At Christmas Dinner . . . that was fun . . .
    The food was great, the tree plugged in, the meal had gone without a hitch
    Till Timmy turned to Amber and said, \"Is it true that you\'re a witch?\"
    His mom jumped up and said, \"The pies are burning,\" and she hit the kitchen
    And it was Jane who spoke, she said, \"It\'s true, your cousin\'s not a Christian\"
    \"But we love trees, we love the snow, the friends we have, the world we share
    And you find magic from your God, and we find magic everywhere\"

So the Christians and the Pagans sat together at the table
    Finding faith and common ground the best that they were able
    And where does magic come from, I think magic\'s in the learning
    Cause now when Christians sit with Pagans only pumpkin pies are burning
    - Dar Williams

/just wanted an excuse to quote that song

There are zealots of science, faith, and about every other \"system of belief\" one could imagine. All of which try to impart their beliefs on someone else---by attempting to discount the contrary belief.

Interpretation of a belief systems (science, religion, etc) are, more often than not, bastardized by the interpreter and twisted to meet the needs of that same interpreter--and never represent the founders\' true intention.

These same zealots rely on simple ignorance to provide the foundation for any argument. And they rely on ignorance to convert the non-believer.

Belief systems are simply a way a person choose to interpret his surroundings and to attempt to bring order to his own personal chaos.
    In my case, it\'s a Christian belief system---in my best friends belief system, it\'s not.
    We get along just fine---and no one gets called stupid or condemned to pits of hell.

:)

Blog Entries

Originally posted by fieldarchy
    Originally posted by philologus

Yup, it happened. At Christmas Dinner . . . that was fun . . . I feel sorry for anyone who is that closed minded because it means that they are going to dislike and condemn people from whom they could actually learn and be friends with. But all because someone isn\'t a believer they are apparently condemned to hell and not worth the while.
    I\'m truly sorry you had such an experience. I grew up in church and was always taught that my example was the best way to teach tenets of the faith. I tend to subscribe to the advice given by Peter:
    \"But in your hearts set apart Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect\"
    (1 Peter 3:15 NIV)

Originally posted by Rodnik
    We get along just fine---and no one gets called stupid
    Lies. I\'ve been around you, \'stupid\' is one of the nicer things you call each other.

lol

Haha those religious zealots make me laugh. They should really remember this is the 21st century not the middle ages :yes:

I don\'t believe there has been any uproar in Europe. After all, it is just a book