Testors Dullcote

Thread: Testors Dullcote

Default Testors Dullcote

Can someone tell me what thinners to use for Testors Dullcote. (Preferable not a testors thinner as its not available where I live)

Coffin Dodger / Keymaster airhead's Avatar

Bottled - brush-on dulcoat?
    it is a varnish so I would suspect a solvent such as mineral spirits would do. Don\'t get carried away as you may eat your plastic minis.

Why are you thinning? Let the bottle get old? Probably need to get a new bottle.

Newbie, please be gentle geaugan's Avatar

Dullcote is a lacquer and is thinned with lacquer thinner. If you were ever in an auto body paint shop you will immediately recognize the odor. You can get it at an auto supply store or a DIY. It\'s an excellent cleaner and solvent but also very dangerous stuff.

Blog Entries

Yes it is. The fumes are horrendous and the stuff will eat through protective gloves if you\'re not careful. If you are gonna use it, then take every possibly precaution not to spill it.

When you can taste mint in your eyes, you know it\'s time to take a break. I\'m not kidding.

Hopefully there\'s some hobby strength version of this stuff out there, because the industrial strength stuff that I\'ve worked with is incredibly powerful.

Yes its the botled brush on stuff.
    I was hoping to use it in my airbrush to varnish over acrylics. Hmmm, maybe not if it eats plastic

Coffin Dodger / Keymaster airhead's Avatar

I\'ve shot lots of things through my guns, but never dulcoat. Just get an spray can and go. Saves using laquer thinner or MEK to clean out your guns.

That sounds about as much fun as shooting 2-stage ureathanes. Organic vapor respirator, hood, face mask, tyvek suit, purple gloves, and proper exhaust fan.