Youth gone wild
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Youth gone wild

Default Youth gone wild

this thread is a continuation of another thread that was started (respect from today\'s youth ) .... post any links to news articles of kids from your local area doing wrong ...
    here are 2 from my area:
    Baltimore Maryland:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22152433/
    http://www.wbaltv.com/news/14804724/detail.html
    http://www.wbaltv.com/video/14802528/index.html

And this is one of the things I was talking about. We only hear about the bad.
    People don\'t care unless it\'s giving someone grief, somehow.
    Schadenfreud? (or however it\'s spelled)

As the other thread indicates... we already think (mostly) that there\'s a
    problem. I\'d rather see people actively hunting down stories of kids doing helpful
    or good things.

If you look for proof of the bad, you\'ll find more of it than you expected. It\'s
    like negative reinforcement. Don\'t do it.

Default Violent, disrespectful killer youth speaking

What\'s that supposed to prove Stro? Why don\'t we post news articles of adults in our areas doing wrong? Miserable git...

I do rather agree with Bill on this one, is it \"Child bashing week\" or something?

Squig

Well the point of all this .... this is a new age take a look ... 20 yrs ago how many of these stories did you see or hear about ? ... There is something wrong and not enough being done to correct it ... The only thing that is being done is our government taking away our kids rights to be kids .... dodgeball ... tag ... all those ativities being band in shcools ... when we were kids and we did something wrong we were scared to go home because pops was waiting with a switch to lite our ass up .... now the government tells our kids if they do wrong and go home and get there ass beat they will lock up the parents for child abuse .... there has to be a cut off somewhere or stuff is just going to keep gettinmg worse ...

... And this problem is to be solved by talking badly about kids/children/teenagers? If anything it just depletes their trust of adults even more is you ask me :|

SQuig

And i do have to defend my rant... when you live in my area you kind of loose any positive outlook .... this stuff is a day to day thing here .... the crime here is sickening .... kids/adults/muders/crack/heroine the list never ends .... in a city so small we are leading the nation on almost all lists ... hell evenm the ones that are supposed to protect us here are mostly crooked .... I cant even tell you how many officials/cops have been locked up over the last 10 yrs ...

Originally posted by Stro
    Well the point of all this .... this is a new age take a look ... 20 yrs ago how many of these stories did you see or hear about ? ...
    Less, because this media hysteria hadn\'t caught on and been fed by people like you. There has been no significant change in these rates. And you say this is the point of your post - how is your post helping?

There is something wrong and not enough being done to correct it ... The only thing that is being done is our government taking away our kids rights to be kids .... dodgeball ... tag ... all those ativities being band in shcools ...
    What the hell has that got to do with anything? By the way, it\'s spelt \"banned\".

when we were kids and we did something wrong we were scared to go home because pops was waiting with a switch to lite our ass up .... now the government tells our kids if they do wrong and go home and get there ass beat they will lock up the parents for child abuse .... there has to be a cut off somewhere or stuff is just going to keep gettinmg worse ...
    Exactly as it was 1200 years ago when Hesiod was moaning rather than the mass media. See squig\'s post.

@Stro - It isn\'t kids who\'ve changed, it is the environment. One generation doesn\'t simply become one of juvenile delinquets, it is the result of the circumstances they experienced while growing up.

You think anything good will come out of banning a fantasy novel like \"The Golden Compass\" because it promotes atheism in children? Why would this be a good thing? It is sending a message that atheism is wrong and kids should be shielded from the truth. In sharp contrast, youth are exposed to far more adult themes in the media, and with the internet, absolutely anything is possible. The funny thing is, this was all done by adults. It isn\'t the youth who\'re out of control, it\'s you guys.

AinuLainour point is exactly how i feel .... and Bill you have me totaly wrong i dont feed off of or feed the media .. I dont even usualy talk about this crap (nor do i hide my kids from the true world) this is stuff i see and hear people talk about all the time .... and i agree about the whole media hype thing ... examnple... here a few months ago we had a couple of teens pour Draino (SP?) (acid) all over a playground resulting in a 2 yr old almost dieing do to severve burns .... since then we have had 2 or 3 incidents of the same things (all involving teens) ..... And by the way i Dont blame the kids ..... its the government/parents ...... and another thing (Bill) i take it your the type of person who would rather pretend that this stuff doesnt exist and just go about a normal life .... (No Im not throwing punches so please dont take it that way) .. Im not trying to hype things up but alot of people refuse to believe this stuff exist so if it is not talked about how can a sulution ever be found (and no not hype it but talk about it ) ..
    And Bill you got me hehe (it\'s spelt \"banned\") I know i cant spell but dam I didnt notice i did that ...

i would love for bill to post some proof to back up his claims of no increase in rates. Plus, i think that the enviroment of the US is a little diffrent than it is in europe. And, every kid needs a good ass kicking a few times, the problem is, they just dont get it. Kids get out of line because they have nothing to fear.

Now, I don\'t know Bill particularily well, but from what I do know about him, I really don\'t think he\'s the kind of person who ignores things and hopes they will go away:]

Squig

Stro: I\'m 14 years old. How am I supposed to \"do anything about it\", apart from act responsibly? I hardly have any option other than to \"lead a normal life\" at the moment, do I?

Recoil: here are some things for you to look at.

Homicide (in the US)

Murder Arrests by Age Group

Juvenile Arrests for Homicide: 1984-2003

And from the US Department of Justice website:
    \"Evidence continues to mount showing that a small proportion of offenders commit most of the serious and violent juvenile crimes. Guide for Implementing the Comprehensive Strategy for Serious, Violent, and Chronic Juvenile Offenders, supra. Chronic offenders make up less than ten percent of juvenile offenders, but are responsible for two-thirds of all violent offenses.\"

The other thing you have to bear in mind that juveniles are far more likely to be caught than adults. I can find some more statistics for you if you\'d like that.

@bill, Knew you\'d come through, wasn\'t bashing you, i just like to see the charts!

And, to elaborate on my saying kids have nothing to fear, I think that the hip hop culture has somthing to do with this, the fact that its cool to be a gangster, or its cool to do jail time, or be \"hard\" or a \"thug\" Discuss?

Moved to the land of Oz in March of 2014. Interesting place, Kansas.
    Blog Entries

The difference I think is society as a whole is that we hear more about it now than we did years ago. And I think the few who ARE bad are now very vocal about it where in the past they would have been quietly sabataging things from the back ground. Growing up in the \'60\'s and \'70\'s I can tell you there was just as much disrespect then as now but it was quiet, mean stuff not just words and the other kids were more likely to step in to stop thier peers from saying and doing things. The kids themselves are more afraid of each other now than then I think, and that aloows the bad eggs to make more noise. It, like everything else, goes in cycles. Give it time and things will change yet again.

Blog Entries

Yes and no Liz. I think part of the problem is that where prior to 1968 civil disobedience and disobedience in general were frowned upon, after 1968 they became a mainstream way of expressing oneself -

Which is why I pretty much put the blame for today\'s society on the generation between me and my parents - the Boomers. They bitch moan and complain about how bad things are now, but in the end are only reaping what they sowed 40 years ago.

Originally posted by Bill
    Stro: I\'m 14 years old. How am I supposed to \"do anything about it\", apart from act responsibly? I hardly have any option other than to \"lead a normal life\" at the moment, do I?
    Bill i think that is the best rest responce Ive heard in a long time ... I cant even get that out of my 16 yr old son hehe ....

Yup, then we can breed a generation of masocistic (sp?) kidslol

Squig