building a wet palette

Thread: building a wet palette

Default building a wet palette

just want to make sure I have this correct (also I\'m killing time at work ;) )

I take one of the plastic containers my chinese take away comes in get a sponge and put that in and put water over it.

Then I take some baking paper and put that on top and mix up my paint on top of the paper and replace the lid when done and come back to it as needed.

That is exactly what I did when I used a wet pallette about a year ago. (Chinese takeaway tub aswell haha)

Kept my paints wet for about 5 days IIRC, meant when I got back from Rome I could just keep on painting.

I did a quick photo tute for one a while back, and it\'s on the net somewhere, if anybody knows where it is I would be grateful lol I fancy putting it on my site.

Cool I was thinking that I have lots of time to paint over christmas but more than likly it will be stop start so this will be great.

Coffin Dodger / Keymaster airhead's Avatar

When I was using one, I found about 24 hours was about the limit of keeping paint. After that, it clotted up and did not want to remix.

Yep, that\'s pretty much it. Instead of a sponge I use kitchen paper as the reservoir (so that I can just throw it away when it gets stinky) .

I find I can store paint for up to a couple of weeks at the outside when the container is sealed. With it open you can paint continuously for hours and hours if you need to without the paint drying out noticeably, as long as the reservoir is damp.

Einion

if using baking paper for the \"diy\" wet palette, greaseproof or non- ? i\'ve got the materials to make one now and been too lazy to start it properly, now seems a good time.

Originally posted by Arctica
    if using baking paper for the \"diy\" wet palette, greaseproof or non- ?
    Unless you can get some specific brand & type recommendations give it a whirl yourself, see what works best of the materials you have available.

Regardless of whether it\'s called \"greasproof paper\", \"baking paper\" or \"baking parchment\" it might all be much the same thing.

Einion

ok, :bouncy: thanks for the tip :) will test it out

I\'ve always wondered what a wet palette is and now I know.

I\'ll have to remember this.

sheesh I\'m such a dumb ass:(

do you just dampen the sponge or do you soak the sponge to create a reservoir.

Didnt get round to making one yesterday but will be giving it a go later on today.

Originally posted by Yetie
    do you just dampen the sponge or do you soak the sponge to create a reservoir.

Didnt get round to making one yesterday but will be giving it a go later on today.
    i generally soak the sponge and then press the butcher paper onto the sponge to absorb some of the water..... then i am good to go for weeks.

mine lasted for 2 1/2 weeks.

its a great thing.

cool cheers for the advice guys will post a pic later on how it went.
    That is if I dont get too drunk just got given a bottle of cava by work and I\'m on the late!!!!! :drunk::twisted:

I made a few for myself loosely based on a tutorial on CMON. All you need is a couple of rackham blister packs, the sponges from these and some acrylic palette paper (this cost £1.99 from whsmith for 20 sheets, each sheet does four palettes). Soak the sponge and the paper, (which has been cut to size) and then place back in the blister, mix up whatever colour you want and when you are done simply close the blister. ive used one to keep a highlight shade for some ultramarines ive been doing and so far it has lasted for over 5 weeks. you do need to mix up a decent amount though otherwise the paper starts to clot in the paint.

What the heck is \"baking paper\".

Is that like \"wax paper\"

Newbie, please be gentle geaugan's Avatar

Rextalon. Here in the States we call it parchment paper and you will find it in the baking section at the grocery store. Comes like wax paper.

NONONO! It is not wax paper. It is NOT anything like wax paper. Wax paper is used to wrap sandwiches and stuff you do not want to stick to the paper. Wax paper is paper covered in wax.

The terms are not interchangeable in different countries.

Baking paper is NOT waxy. It is not covered in wax. Water does not soak into or through wax.

Baking paper is used to BAKE. It is very different. The only similarity is that it comes in a box on a roll. Baking paper is used to keep cookies and stuff from sticking to your trays or oven racks or drying/cooling racks.

I\'m not really all that excited here, I just wanted to make it clear that wax paper is nothing like baking paper or parchment. It will be in the same section of the store, it will look the same being in similar boxes, but the contents are VERY different indeed.

Anyway, having said all that, I\'d suggest going to an Arts and Crafts store and buying a wet palette. You can get smaller ones, although even the \"minis\" are fairly HUGE for our purposes, 8x4 or 9x5 inch type deal. Personally I like this size range, I can use the one for all the projects I\'m working on. While one unit dries or is on hold waiting for me to decide I can work on the next, and the next, and the next, without running out of room or wasting paint due to drying out. Anyway, the point is, they\'re cheap, the replacement paper is cheap, the replacement sponges are cheap. Not as cheap as baking parchment of course, but they are of a substantially higher quality for the slight increase in cost. The stuff from the art stores lasts so much longer before it breaks down. You really don\'t want bits of paper in your paint, or worse, on your model.

For example, the one I got from an art store called Wallacks here in Canada:

http://www.mastersonart.com/products/handy.htm

So that\'d be around 5 or 6 pounds, not accounting for shipping, for the UK crowd I guess? Not that I\'d suggest buying from North America if you live there, but to give you an idea of the cost.

A drop of vinegar, bleach, antibacterial dish or liquid hand soap, a couple drops of lemon juice or the like in the resevoir really helps the \"funk\" factor, especially when you\'ll be closing up shop for extended periods.

Originally posted by QuietiManes
    NONONO! It is not wax paper. It is NOT anything like wax paper. Wax paper is used to wrap sandwiches and stuff you do not want to stick to the paper. Wax paper is paper covered in wax.

The terms are not interchangeable in different countries.

Baking paper is NOT waxy. It is not covered in wax. Water does not soak into or through wax.

Baking paper is used to BAKE. It is very different. The only similarity is that it comes in a box on a roll. Baking paper is used to keep cookies and stuff from sticking to your trays or oven racks or drying/cooling racks.

I\'m not really all that excited here, I just wanted to make it clear that wax paper is nothing like baking paper or parchment. It will be in the same section of the store, it will look the same being in similar boxes, but the contents are VERY different indeed.
    So... what are you trying to say? That it\'s NOT wax paper? ;)

Thanks for the info, and the LINKAGE!