D&D Miniatures tile size?

Thread: D&D Miniatures tile size?

Default D&D Miniatures tile size?

I have looked on several websites to try and get an answer to this to no avail. Could someone tell me what size the squares are for the D&D skirmish game. I haven\'t played as of yet, but would like to base some miniatures to use as proxies. Thanks!

Originally posted by Condottiere
    The squares are 25mm.
    Thanks - much appreciated!

Coffin Dodger / Keymaster airhead's Avatar

1\" = a 5\' square.
    standard size

large (horses, ogres, etc.) 2\" or 10 x 10

Remeber to use round bases.

Thanks airhead! Why do they use round bases if the game tiles are in squares?

Airhead has the correct tile size. As to why they use round bases, I could come up with some reasons but don\'t know if they would be right.

Coffin Dodger / Keymaster airhead's Avatar

the round base allows minis that have overhanging parts to be turned to allow other minis to fit in the adjacent squares.

There is no facing in D&D, so the mini can be turned without penalty to allow other minis to properly fit in adjacent squares.

Ah, I thought it might have to do with a lack of facing. Thanks for the info!

The size of the base also denotes the size of the creature, with tiny creatures having the smallest bases, small creatures having larger ones, medium having the \'normal\' size and so on. I don\'t think this has that much of a gameplay aspect, but it does help to remind you when creatures are of different sizes.

Actually the \"size\" does have gameplay aspect as the larger the mini the longer reach it has. generally speaking anything medium size or smaller has no reach, IE they can only attack adjacent squares. Creatures large or bigger start to have a longer reach allowing them to attack farther squares. Such as large monsters tend to have a 10 foot reach, so 2 squares. Of course reach is father adjusted by the monster, just as differant medium sized weapons, like polearms and spiked chains, change the reach for attacks.