Chaos Black rubs off

Thread: Chaos Black rubs off

Default Chaos Black rubs off

Hi, I spray my mini with the Chaos black spray can, but found the paint rubs off quite easily. That never happen to my resin kit when I primed with Tamiya primer or Gunze\'s Mr.Surface.
    I went to the GW store and ask for the black spray primer and they gave me this Chaos black spray can. There isn\'t even the word \'prime\' anywhere on the can. Is this spray a proper primer, or I am better off using the Tamiya/Gunze?

thanks

gw haven\'t done an official primer for years.

the tamiya and gunzes mr surface primer are far better.

This can be a very common problem with both Spray Chaos Black and also the regular Chaos Black esecially on metal models. I tend to use a car body primer Halfords own brand is the stuff I use. It gives good coverage and is hard wearing if allowed to dry thoroughly before overcoating and is cheaper in the long run as you get more for your money.
    I have heard that if you dry GW spray with a hair dryer and in effect bake it on it makes it a little more durable but I don\'t know if there is any truth in that.

Originally posted by falela
    Is this spray a proper primer, or I am better off using the Tamiya/Gunze?
    How \'bout automotive primers - same quality or better than any hobby type but much cheaper. And strong.

No matter what you use, I\'d strongly recommend degreasing metal minis before priming if you want the best adhesion.

Einion

I am taking the advice about the car body primers onboard. Good idea and I never thought of it.
    I have always used the GW Chaos Black as it was the easiest to get for me. (until some genius mentioned car primer available at any hardware store).
    I am not sure about the hairdryer as such but there may be some truth in the theory due to my experiences with GW sprays. I find that if it is a hot day and I move my minis into the sun to dry I can rub them quite hard with my fingers and it won\'t budge. It is even hard to scratch off with metal. But if it is a cold day or I am in a hurry the paint seems to dry much softer and rub off.

but then why does the GW website recommend priming using the Chaos Black?

Einion,
    I live in Hong Kong, and automotive spray primer is not readily available. I probably will go back to Tamiya/Gunze as Japanese products are mainstream here. (there is only one or two stores that sell minis, and they mark the price quite high)

but then why does the GW website recommend priming using the Chaos Black?
    Because they want you to buy their product. Not to bash GW but many companies will recommend their own products over something they don\'t make that is superior for a given use; they are there to make as much money as possible after all.

Einion,
    I live in Hong Kong, and automotive spray primer is not readily available.
    No auto-care shops - the kind of places that would sell touch-up paints, car polish and vinyl conditioner?

I probably will go back to Tamiya/Gunze as Japanese products are mainstream here.
    If that\'s all you can get then you could do worse, quality-wise.

(there is only one or two stores that sell minis, and they mark the price quite high)
    Still only two? I would have thought there\'d be one more after all this time :)

Einion

No auto-care shops - the kind of places that would sell touch-up paints, car polish and vinyl conditioner?
    touch-up paints, car polish, yes, I think they sold them, but I am not sure on primer, as there is no one does this kind of DIY auto work here in HK. I might need to check. To be more specific when I do the search, what is the brand and model you suggest?

touch-up paints, car polish, yes, I think they sold them, but I am not sure on primer, as there is no one does this kind of DIY auto work here in HK.
    Really? Even the taxi drivers? I saw plenty of them that looked like they were DIY primed :D

I might need to check. To be more specific when I do the search, what is the brand and model you suggest?
    Hmm, very hard to guess what might be sold in Hong Kong. With US, UK and Asian products represented any primer could be from any of these. But if it\'s from the UK Hycote or Halfords, from the US Rustoleum, Plasti-Kote, SEM or Simoniz.

Einion

Einion,
    Thanks. seems like you visit HK quite often :)

Blog Entries

I might have to try the Tamiya or something, because the newer Citadel Black spray takes forever to dry (like an hour before you can paint... used to be 15 minutes and go!).

For the Tamiya and Gunze (never heard of that before) which dries faster? Is there a big difference between the two at all?

Originally posted by Jericho
    I might have to try the Tamiya or something, because the newer Citadel Black spray takes forever to dry (like an hour before you can paint... used to be 15 minutes and go!).

For the Tamiya and Gunze (never heard of that before) which dries faster? Is there a big difference between the two at all?
    Tamiya and Gunze are the 2 main hobby supply manufacturer from Japan. In term of quality, they are pretty much the same, never fail me before. Both supply primer in white and grey (Tamiya has a darker grey), Gunze being a bit cheaper.

For drying time, I am not sure, because I usally prime it and leave it for a day before start working on the kit. Maybe someone else can answer that question

Blog Entries

Thanks for the info. I\'ve been meaning to try grey primer, I haven\'t really been as happy with black primer lately and I can\'t stand working on white. It just takes way too long to get things dark and moody the way I like it. Grey seems to be the ideal solution.

Anyway, I\'m guessing most of the automotive sprays come in black, but are there any other hobby black primers?

Einion,
    Thanks.
    Welcome, good luck with the search.

I was born in Hong Kong BTW :)

Anyway, I\'m guessing most of the automotive sprays come in black...
    Grey is very common but you see white too.

FWIW I\'d recommend priming a couple of hours ahead, but the day before is better.

Einion