By the Monkee Gods the RIAA goes to far -

Thread: By the Monkee Gods the RIAA goes to far -

Blog Entries

Default By the Monkee Gods the RIAA goes to far -

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/12/28/AR2007122800693.html

What happened to fair use?

Holy Sh*tmonkeys Batman, that\'s going tooo far!:flame:

Squig

Cart me off to prison now then :) got 2 mp3 players and 2 pcs with all my albums on them .

The only fair these companies know is eveyone if fair game I for one I\'m sick of buying say a dvd and having to sit through those crap fact anti-piracy adds with no way to skip them.

I paid good hard earned money for that movie I do not need them to ram crap adds down my throat each time I want to watch it.

Well, they\'ve simply realized that extorting the weak and exchanging bribes for legislation are a better business model than taking a chance that some band\'s recording will actually sell enough units to make the profits they want.

Somewhere in hell, Milton Friedman and Ayn Rand are applauding.

Blog Entries

lol ok now ...i\'m actually laughing here.

\"...the industry maintains that it is illegal for someone who has legally purchased a CD to transfer that music into his computer.\"

They DO realise the only way to convert it to MP3 is on the PC right? So why aren\'t they going after Sony, Creative and Apple for the way it works? lol

I think we all know the answer ;)

ED: \"transfer that music into HIS computer.\"

Oooooh those naughty boys used a gender specific too lol Lets sue for discrimination lol lol lol

Sorry this is laughable lol

Well, the big record label CEOs need to find new ways to finance their private jets, mansions and drug habits now that people won\'t pay for Britney albums any longer... :rolleyes:

bunch of twats

I\'d love to see the counter-sue actions from people (like me) that burn all of their music on their computers, so they can have a huge playlist. Heck, I went so far as to load up 6 blank CD\'s with MP3\'s since my Jeep\'s CD player can read MP3 discs. Most of my collection is in my car.

F the RIAA. F them in the F\'in Ear. Right to the balls.

Originally posted by freakinacage
    bunch of twats
    You said it perfectly:)

Squig

They\'re just trying to catch up with the band-wagon they missed.
    Every since 8-tracks came out there\'s been a statute for copying.
    You can copy for YOUR OWN USE.
    This squeezing extra money wherever they can is just plain BS!

I have over 150,000 songs, half of them copied of my CDs, the others bought online as MP3s. I have a drawer full of reciepts to prove my rights to them.

When Metallica boycotted Napster, I stopped buying Metallica. When the industry started putting all those BS adverts in front of my movies, I stopped buying CDs.
    I have back-up copies of ALL my CDs and DVDs. AND I printed up the \"Fair Use\" statutes. If I ever get a lawsuit brought against me, I\'ll upload my library in its entirity to the biggest P2P network I can find!
    I think it\'s total bollucks what they\'re doing, and I won\'t play their games.
    I have XM Radio, and if they want to pull this BS, I guess I\'ll only here what plays.
    You can\'t tell me what I can do in my own home. I\'m not running a piracy racket, I don\'t even share my files with friends.

I haven\'t bought a CD or MP3 from a studio since this sh*t started, and I won\'t until it\'s over.
    Screw the industry.
    I\'ve bought several CDs direct from the artists, and will continue to do so with any artist willing to go around the RIAA.
    I\'m tired of all the Corporate nonsense that is ruining my country. We need a violent coup.:cussing:

Blog Entries

Hell, from what I understand the UK version of the RIAA is busily suing a business where one of the workers had his radio on - and the customers could hear it - saying that the business didn\'t have the right liscence for publically playing music.

Twats is right.

Originally posted by JesterzUSMC
    I\'m tired of all the Corporate nonsense that is ruining my country. We need a violent coup.:cussing:
    So vote for Kang instead of Kodos in the next election. lol

The up-and-coming music purchasers will be as perplexed by the idea of going to a store to buy media as we would be about cinema newsreels in the era of 24 hour news. Things are changing, and cornered animals bite.

Originally posted by hakoMike
    ... cornered animals bite.

GRRR!!!
    lollollol

Originally posted by steelcult
    Hell, from what I understand the UK version of the RIAA is busily suing a business where one of the workers had his radio on - and the customers could hear it - saying that the business didn\'t have the right liscence for publically playing music.
    It\'s happening a lot. Apparently they \'phone companies up on a fairly random basis to see if they can hear a radio, and then tell them they are breaking a law if they don\'t have a licence. One woman worked on her own in an office and was listening to her own radio when they called. No one else could hear it, but they told her she still needed a licence.

They are also telling music shops that they mustn\'t let customers who try out new instruments to play anything recognisable unless they have a licence too.

Originally posted by steelcult

Twats is right.
    Same thing in Germany. You actually have to pay a certain licence fee to GEMA in order to play music at your store (unless it\'s music made by you), because obviously music makes your business better, and therefore the poor, starving artists need a share of your profits. Goes for discoes and other venues as well (understandable there).

Blog Entries

You know if the money were going to the artists involved that might be one thing, but since its only going to the RIAA and such, bugger em.

Exactly, it would be a completely different story if the money went to the artists.
    But the artists are getting just as screwed, they have to pay a fee to put THEIR OWN MUSIC on their websites, or to have it hosted anywhere on the web!!

Screw Kang and Kodos, I might just vote to become a citizen of Canada or Australia, or as a last resort the UK.
    I\'ll give up property but I\'ll be damned if I give up anything for bread and circus BS!!

Canada may not be your best choice if you want to avoid crap like this. There is new legislation in the works here that put the Millenium Copyrite act to shame. I just hope it doesn\'t go through.

Currently in Canada you can copy and share legally as we pay a tax on blank media. I don\'t expect this to last much longer.

Blog Entries

I don\'t own any music files, MP3 or otherwise. I just don\'t like any new music enough to pay for an album or go through the possible \"illegalities\" that could result. I think it\'s great that bands like NIN, Radiohead, Oasis etc. are not renewing contracts and circumventing the middle man. It\'s the true spirit of capitalism. They can market their product in a way that benefits them and the consumer more. Good for them even if I don\'t like their music.