miniature accidental deaths affect 1 in 5 geeks a week. stop the violence
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: miniature accidental deaths affect 1 in 5 geeks a week. stop the violence

Default miniature accidental deaths affect 1 in 5 geeks a week. stop the violence

so ummmm.....sniffs.......i was working on a huge diorama for gamesday this year and..........sniffs......i had it in the trunk..my wife knew it was in there and when she took the car seat out she ......bawls......... put it on top of my high elf dragon and giant....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

waaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!

anyhow needless to say i have a broken wing and broken arm that a lot of green stuff might and i stress the word MIGHT be able to fix.

so any of you have tales of miniature accidental deaths?

please share

you mean aside from the classic \"holding-at-a-funny-angle-trying-to-paint-a-difficult-spot-then-dropping-the-whole-thing\"? :(

cos I\'ve done that

I did HEAR a story of someone leaving a brand new landraider crusader in the back of a car on a hot day and finding a lot of the pieces rather warped lol

I once had (when I was just starting) a regiment of Empire halbardiers which my cousin put on the sofa when he was clearing the table. And... I... sat... on.. them:|~ *sniffle* It REALLY hurt:mad:

Squig

Arkzein

Back when I considered my slaanesh army pretty much \"finished\" with the addition of a scratch titan (about all I had left I could add to it) after 7 years in the hobby the whole thing went over when on display followed milliseconds later by a bookcase on top for good measure. Binned most of the resulting mess in disgust. Took me four years to get over it and start again. ;)

Currently have almost everything mini related \'lost\' in the postal system as well, hoping it will turn up though. Lucky bloke me. lol

No deaths, but I have inadvertently suddenly amputated both feet on a few when I was trying to \"adjust\" their stance.

I have had quite a few \"squashed nose\" or \"squashed hair\" syndromes when I dropped older lead minis.

I placed a finished piece on a chair and then proceded to sit on it..

Ive dropped a piece I was sculpting on the floor and when I rolled my chair back to find it..rolled over it.

Just the other day Id spent 45min carving a small part for a sculpt and when I went to cut off a excess piece it shot across the room never to be found again..

I could go on and on.. but I wont..

As for doing a large diorama..there is no diorama category anymore for a US games day.. well I guess you could enter open but why put so much effort into something that could possibly never win you the top prize.

Originally posted by Dragon Forge Design
    Ditto . . . it snapped at the legs. I glued it back but she is very lopsided now :(

My wife decided to dust the cabinet that I had a unit of Bret men at arms on. They were painted to significantly higher than typical tabletop standard. She removed them from the cabinet and put them on the floor in our dark bedroom where I proceeded to come home from work and change, stepping right in the middle of the unit. I heard their horrified screams. (or maybe that just me screaming. I was barefoot and those little halberds are sharp). Anyway, about four out of a unit of 20 survived.

I\'ve lost a few small bits I\'d carefully cut, filed, etc in the thick carpet of this room. I\'ve also got carried away with the rotary tool and accidentally filed off some detail on a Grey Knight terminator I was converting to be a grandmaster. I\'ve also managed to snap three metal stormvermin at the waist, although that\'s down to poor castings, as on others there are small cracks appearing at the waist.

my all mouted rohan army (3000pts!) had a double matterss land on the whole thing lots of weaponless riders and horses brake(get the punt!) danceing horses(there ancles snapped) :drool:

Originally posted by DaN
    you mean aside from the classic \"holding-at-a-funny-angle-trying-to-paint-a-difficult-spot-then-dropping-the-whole-thing\"? :(

cos I\'ve done that
    I think everyone has done that - I mean it\'s practically a right of passage!

Prior to developing proper holding methods I also of course had things fall due to the bond of a drop of superglue failing, the Blu Tac letting go and so forth.

Einion

At Silphid\'s painting seminar, I dropped my Ogre into the wet pallete at least four times. This has happened to me quite a few times at home as well. lol

This is a story from someone else that I had spoken with at one point but . . . he had been painting a resin and finally finished it. It took him forever. He was getting ready to varnish it and as he was walking he tripped and it went crashing onto the floor, shattering into a million tiny pieces!

sad . . . oh so sad.

Originally posted by Dragon Forge Design
    lol I am sorry, I just can\'t help, who sustained more extensive damage the finished piece or you?

I never had anything detrimental but once a guy at local GW dropped a banshee exarch from my GD squad. The exarch had magnetized arms that obviously fall off. Nothing happened to the mini but you should have seen the face of poor guy, the color, the changes lol, I think he expected to be summarily executed in the most vicious manner

@DF: as for the entry i am entering in open category but since this is a really cool idea i have, i hope to win something. even though its not possible for a golden demon. i never did get that whole open competition category...... i miss the duel category it was always my favorite.

:)

Are there actually any categories left at the US daemons?

Those stories are quite emotionally painful lol. I have a story about a Gw worker at the store I go to in New York. He was coming off of a 10 or 15 hour painting streak of Dark Eldar for himself. He fell asleep while painting a Dark Eldar warrior and woke up with the model \"bayonette\" esque gun jammed into his neck for close to half a centimeter...the problem is...he fell asleep on a squad of them. So in the end, he ended up with a couple of stiches and a broken squad. :D

While trying to nip off the slot base on one dervish mini a year or so ago, I kinda screwed up. Somehow I ended up bending her foot. Next came the delemma of \"do I try to bend it back and hope to hell it doesn\'t break, or do I just try to make the now retarded foot work?\" I still haven\'t decided.

Otherwise, hubby and I have learned that we can\'t leave the minis out where the cat can find them. Apparently they make great toys to chew on and bat around to wherever we are likely to step. Barefoot, of course.

so many sad tales to tell...
    i\'ve never sat on a mini though...that\'s gotta hurt...
    my dreadlocks have a bad habit of grabbin\' minis off the paintin\' table when i stand up, and flingin\' \'em across the room...
    i was workin\' on this guy for a contest at the l.a. battle bunker:

the night before the contest he was done...i stood up, and my hair attacked...he hit the carpet, and broke into four pieces...both mechanical arms, and the axehead snapped...some very fine drillin\', and a bit of suprglue later, he looks like he never took a dive...brought home a trophy too...

then there\'s this bugger:

he was a commission, along with a few other guys...this guy was the test scheme for the group, so took a little while to get right...when i finished him, i was dogsittin\' for my uncle...two australian blueheelers...dogs that are half dingo do not mix with minis...
    i put the last lick of paint on this guy, and needed to take a leak really bad...off i ran, and when i came back a minute later, the mini was in pieces, and chewed to hell, on the floor...those two dogs were quick!!!
    luckily i had my own copy of the mini, so out came the primer...i had to twice the work, but didn\'t get twice the pay...
    crazy dogs...what they did to the rest of the house was even worse than what they did to my mini, so i can\'t complain...

cheers
    jah

Originally posted by uberdark
    @DF: as for the entry i am entering in open category but since this is a really cool idea i have, i hope to win something. even though its not possible for a golden demon. i never did get that whole open competition category...... i miss the duel category it was always my favorite.

:)
    Oh theres a trophy..a normal demon statue for the open.. your just not eligible for the sword in the open..and I cant summon the energy to do a entry for a category I can possibly win the award I covet.

as for the history of the Open it was created in the UK 1995 to give their staff someplace to compete. 1995 was the first GD UK I entered and I entered my undead chariot into it. I lost out to Dave Andrews whio did this cool hangar bay diorama. They only had one prize..it was a big cup.

years later it was added to the US contests, but they also added many staff categories which sort of defeated the purpose of having a open in my opinion.

I like how the French handel it, the open is where all the custom cool scratch built stuff goes and its eligible for the sword.