Salute \'08 - 19th April at ExCel London - Page 9
Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Salute \'08 - 19th April at ExCel London

well done to all, especially Nigel and Billy!!
    WAMP rules!!

WAMP???

Salute was great again this year.
    For anybody who hasn\'t been before I thoroughly recommend it.
    So many minis to look at and buy.
    The painting comp had certainly stepped up a level this year, even I had my doubts of success, which considering the size of my ego is a real compliment to the competition. lol lol lol

I had messaged the organisers previously about the number of entries allowed in each class, and had been informed that competitors were allowed as many as they liked. I don\'t think I had mentioned it though...... sorry. :(

I was really chuffed with all the great compliments and feedback I got from people about my entry. Always nice to know that I\'m doing something right.
    I am suprised so many people liked the base, as Matty mentioned above all I see is flaws. Looked at the damn thing for to long.

The highlight for the day for me was the cmon meetup. The social side of the hobby is something I think we lack in Britain compared to our continental cousins.
    Maybe one year we can combine minis with beer and I will be truly happy. :drunk: :drunk:

@Matty
    Your demon is brilliant now, you should be proud of it.

I will try and take some crappy pics soon.

Nigel

Nigel, with regards to the social side of the meet ups, I think it is mainly because we all travel from different areas of the country and nearly always have to drive at some stage during the day.

Having said that it would be nice if we could sort something out for the Saturday night at the Platoon Britannica event in July that Ben is organising, even if it is a few beers and a meal at the Beefeater resteraunt. I wouldn\'t mind travelling up on the Saturday and stayeding overnight at the Premier Travel Inn or something as it is reasonably cheap.

theres a pub just down the road from warhammer world, the bulls head or sumat, they sell food... and beer... not that i\'m old enough to buy beer...

Alex

Dont know of any places to stay round there, its quite a residential area...

Moved to the land of Oz in March of 2014. Interesting place, Kansas.
    Blog Entries

Originally posted by War Griffon
    WAMP???
    \"Wargaming and Miniature Painting\". That\'s the name of the monthly Ebay comp that Billy, Nigel, Matty Darklord, Eldintux, Thunderhawker and I (I probably missed someone) belong to. We cleaned up at salute this year. Pretty good for such a small group. I guess entering comps every month pays off.

Originally posted by alextheartist
    theres a pub just down the road from warhammer world, the bulls head or sumat, they sell food... and beer... not that i\'m old enough to buy beer...

Alex

Dont know of any places to stay round there, its quite a residential area...
    That pub is a bit plain and rough to say the least for it :)

I have stayed in Nottingham on several occassions in the past for GW events and have always stayed at the Premier Inn it is literally about a 10 minute walk down the canal to GW HQ or can be driven in 5 minutes. However, I don\'t believe in drink driving.

Thanks Liz, I think I joined the group when it first started but never kept up the visits :)

in regards to the number of entries in to the painting comp, i enterd three in to the same catagory still didn\'t win anything:~(:~(:~(

Jakob Nielsen

Hi guys – sorry I missed the meeting. Not sure how I managed that, but after a few walks around Costa Coffee I gave up. I had really looked forward to it, but I suppose there will always be a next time, UK GD possibly. Anyway, congrats to the winners and well done btw.

Originally posted by Jakob Nielsen
    Hi guys – sorry I missed the meeting. Not sure how I managed that, but after a few walks around Costa Coffee I gave up. I had really looked forward to it, but I suppose there will always be a next time, UK GD possibly. Anyway, congrats to the winners and well done btw.
    I\'m sorry I missed meeting you as well. Seems like we were at some other coffe place :(

Luckilly I managed to meet up with the platoon Britanica crowd later, hopefuilly I\'ll manage to make it to their event at GW World in July.

He was a bit worried though when he saw another entry on the winners table next to him as last year they didn\'t bother with a 2nd place for that category lollollollollol
    Unlike Nigel I was convinced I wasn\'t going to do well and was certain they\'d made a mistake originally and changed their minds after seeing me jump around like an over-excited rabbit when they picked it out of the cabinet.

Okay here\'s a handful of pics - some from the painting comp and then some from the Hasslefree stand. I\'ll apologise now for the quality of them as photography isn\'t my strong point.

http://picasaweb.google.com/PeteH007/Salute2008 (fingers now crossed as I\'ve never used the online Picasa before).

Salute was awesome this year - lots of great stuff to see and buy.

Nice to meet up with people too; managed to be in the right place at the right(?!) time to bump into several CMONers at the alternative coffee location, plus had some time with fellow FODers too in the bar at the hotel the night before ;)

Came away with lots of lead and very tired feet. Grats to all the winners - very tough comp this year. My kroot didn\'t place, but it was cool to have him on display anyway :D

Can someone tell me who painted this libby figure? I would love to get better pictures of it. Its on one of the bases I produce.

Jeff

http://picasaweb.google.com/PeteH007/Salute2008/photo#5191708852642369938

Moved to the land of Oz in March of 2014. Interesting place, Kansas.
    Blog Entries

Originally posted by Dragon Forge Design
    Can someone tell me who painted this libby figure? I would love to get better pictures of it. Its on one of the bases I produce.

Jeff

Talanicous (Nigel. He\'s a WAMP member and a sword winner)

Having said that it would be nice if we could sort something out for the Saturday night at the Platoon Britannica event in July that Ben is organising, even if it is a few beers and a meal at the Beefeater resteraunt. I wouldn\'t mind travelling up on the Saturday and stayeding overnight at the Premier Travel Inn or something as it is reasonably cheap.

Hi folks... just a quick one on this...

We\'re gonna try and get something along these lines organised anyway as many folks, having come a long way, would probably want to stay anyway.

I\'ll tsart moving stuff like this over to the Platoon Britannica thread on here soon, but for now... any suggestions gratefully recieved.

One option I\'d certainly encourage is that we de-camp a little further away, 30 mins down the road to Ashby (where I stayed a week or two ago) who have a couple of really awesome restaurants and some nice places to stay.

Nottingham\'s good too though, and a little closer :-)

One way or another there will be a social going on that night for the die-hards who\'ve not had enough of each other and each other\'s minis during the whole day :-)

Ben

Originally posted by lizcam
    Originally posted by Dragon Forge Design

Jeff

Talanicous (Nigel. He\'s a WAMP member and a sword winner)
    nope, \'twas me!

And there aren\'t any other pics of her yet ;)

I\'ll be posting them here as soon as they are though! Thats a wicked base Jeff and I have been looking for a model to put on it for ages :D

I bought a load of your metal Wyrd bases too...!

Liz did you look at the pic?? or did you read Libby and assume it was Nige\'s winner.....:P

great work by all I have seen so far........so far meaning get your cameras out peeps.......:cussing: