What would you say to yourself at 17?
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What would you say to yourself at 17?

Default What would you say to yourself at 17?

I\'ve been thinking a lot... a rarity, sure, but it\'s got me going over a lot of hard topics. Thoughts of university, friends, pretty girls, life and music are starting to take over my whole life and my birthday (turning 17) is in a month and half. Things to note:

- Haven\'t even attempted getting my driving license yet

- Moved to one of my least favourite cities in the world, Toronto

- I\'m not emo, but this is a good excuse to get some shit out of my system

So.. WHAT I\'m wondering is: If you could go back in time and give yourself advice at age 17, what would you say? Keep out of the back alleys? Get a driver\'s license? Stop eating all those perogies, when you turn 30 it\'s all downhill?

Sorry if the title is slightly misleading... anyways.. let\'s see what you\'ve got, CMON!

Blog Entries

Don\'t sweat the petty stuff, and don\'t pet the sweaty stuff.

By age 17 i had already screwed up to much for a little message to help. I\'d need to go back to age 2, no really that\'s where the biggest screw up in my life happened. If i did have to give a message to 17 year old me it would be \"Life sucks just as bad as you feared but make sure you get online as that\'s where you will meet your wife.\"

I would say be more confident with people. There really is no point in not being forward. See a girl you like - go tell her, want a pay raise - ask for it.

Study. My biggest disappointment was I acted as if my pissing about at school was me getting back at my teachers. Sort of \"Ha I will show you!\" :rolleyes:

Make a plan, what do you want to do for a living? Where would you like to travel? And figure out what you will have to do to get that job or go to that place.

It doesn\'t matter if two years later you have changed your plans at least you are actively involved in your life rather than wandering aimlessly.

DAmn thing ate last post, abridged version

1) Never drink whisky, in fact try not to drink much at all.
    2) If she seems to good to be true she is.
    3) Go for the blondes and the one you think would never be interested in you will be, wait and then go for it.
    4) Don\'t let anyone near a motorcycle, or a couple of people near cars, lives will be saved.
    5) If she says she\'s dreaming of marrying you, take the hint.
    6) Never date anyone more than 5 years younger than you.
    7) When you get to uni buy a house, you\'ll be there 10 years and the house prices will skyrocket in 2001.
    8) the hard work pays off.
    9) Generally you land on your feet, so even when it seems really shitty something good is just around the corner.
    10) Get off your arse and get out there, you\'re only young once.

Moved to the land of Oz in March of 2014. Interesting place, Kansas.
    Blog Entries

Hmmmm. Good question. I know you\'re looking for pearls of wisdom but all I can go by is who I was at 17 and what advise I would give myself. Take from it what you will.

1. He\'s gay. move on with your life.
    2. You are not fat. You are not even big boned. Twiggy is a freak of nature and no one should hold themselves to that standard.
    3. People say you have talent because you do. But being a big fish in a small pond is far different from being a small fish in a big pond. Develop what you have.
    4. Don\'t listen to your father. If you \"learn something just to have something to fall back on\" you\'ll be falling backwards your whole life. Do what you love!
    5. It\'s okay to have a different set of values to those of the next guy. As long as you\'re a good human being what difference does it make who you think is in charge?
    6. Don\'t marry the first one to come along. You will meet the right one eventually. It\'s may take half your life, but you\'ll know him when you see him and you don\'t want too many complications in the way.
    7. Kids are a good thing even if other peoples spawn drive you nuts. When you have your own your life will finally make sense.
    8. Don\'t put too much stock in what other people tell you. They can only see things from their experience and have no idea where you are coming from.
    9. Finally and most important: Be nice. It doesn\'t take much effort most times and the rewards far outweigh the effort.

Hope there a few things in there that are relevant.

I think it differs for every person to be around 17. Its a age o great changes I think, but believe me, that never really stops. This is what I would tell myelf at age 17.

1. Stay calm when hormons take over lol
    2. Step down, think again and do what YOU want!
    3. Be honest with yourself.
    4. Don\'t relate too much on what other people say or think about you. At the same time...
    5. ...be not to proud to take good friend\'s adives.
    6. Do what you can do now, don\'t tell yourself I\'m going to do it later. Take your chances and go for it.
    7. Be open minded and try to look over you horizon as often as possible. There are so many shades of grey...

If you manage to life all these points, tell me how! lol

Other point is, books really can help in times of great confusion and chaos. I read a book called something like: \"the peaceful warrior\" and the famous book: \"the art of war\" (still read that book from time to time again). They really changed my way of thinking...
    \"The Alchimist\" is also a book for that category...

1. Not everyone thinks the same way as you do. Seriously. And some people cannot understand that you don\'t think the way they do.

2. Different people have different priorities, and they\'re not necessarily the same as yours. Seriously. And some people cannot understand that your priorities are not the same as theirs.

3. Different people are capable of different depths of emotion. Some people just don\'t love as much as others, yet it is still everything to them. Seriously. People with shallower emotions do not understand depth. And deeper people do not understand how people can be shallow.

4. Some people don\'t know what they want. These are dangerous people to ever place your trust in. Give them time before committing anything of yourself.

5. There\'s a place and time for pride and humility. Every time your pride is raising itself, consider that you might achieve more if you showed humility. Every time you lower yourself to beg and plead, consider whether pride might achieve more.

6. Whenever you are afraid to do anything, consider what it is that you are afraid of. All too often, we are only afraid of fear, or only afraid of failure. These are not worth your fear.

7. Take joy in being young. Take joy in being able to do things that older folk find a little more taxing. Live, dammit, you\'re only young once! It\'s ok to spend money on doing stuff now, \'cos you won\'t have that luxury later on. Do not underestimate how quickly time will creap up on you.

I like what Trevor wrote too.

If I could give myself advice at 17 I\'d knock some sense into my head with a large hammer!!

1) Too much of anything can ruin what you got, be discaplined with the party\'s. Know when to go wild and when to take the early bus home.
    2) Take care of your family for the most part their the only thing that is constant and eventually if you piss them of too many times even they will walk away.
    3)Be confident, talk to the fine ass ladies even if you dont feel confident do it enough and you will get confident, always remember confidence breeds confidence in others.
    4)And the BIG 1, respect your self because if you can\'t nobody else will!!!!!!!

O and don\'t take life too serious dude have fun because having a smile on your face and a laugh with those you care about is the most important thing in life. And remember theres alot of folks out there who need a helping hand aint no better feeling than giving one! :D

If I could go back to tell myself something at 17 it would be two things:
    1.) Keep your hat on when you work in the sun or you\'ll burn the crap out of your head causing you to go bald before you\'re 30.

2.) Invest in Microsoft and Wal-Mart.

Not a thing. Sure, there are all sorts of things I know now that I rather wish I knew back then, but finding them out myself was an important process in making me me. So for better or worse, I\'d just keep quiet.

Oh, there is one thing. I\'d have to say \"69 dudes!\" because I know that 17 year old me would ask the Bill and Ted inspired question for proof of identity!

I\'m with lono on this one. If I told my 17 year old self stuff, then that\'d change the me now doing the telling. And then maybe I wouldn\'t want to go back and tell me stuff, which would mean that I wouldn\'t, my younger self would do stupid stuff and I\'d have to go and tell myself about it... Paradox off the port bow, cap\'n! :o:Plol

...my head hurts...

i would have slapped my younger self and told me to stop being a prick.

banana peels do NOT get you high, so don\'t even think of it.

trust me your stomach will thank you later on.

I agree with the others in most points, if i looked back and felt i could have done things different i wouldn\'t be where i am now.

I also agree with the confidence breeds confidence in others, that girl you like may seem a million miles away but she is not, she might actually be similar to you and get along great, you might not but then theres always another and you have taken the step of finding out.

The only advice i could give (and thats mainly cos im only 19) is do what you feel is right and what you want to, you may look back and think \'Damn i could have done this and that different\' but it happens to every1.

If you stick to what you feel is right you will always make the right decision:)

Originally posted by uberdark
    banana peels do NOT get you high, so don\'t even think of it.
    They do but you have to dry the white bits (rinds?) in an oven at a low temp and you need about 20 banana\'s worth. Not worth the effort to be honest.

Il tell myself that there is a hole in the field behind the school. When i\'m out with a few mates watch out for it because you fall down it.

I\'m with those that say \"Nothing\". Well, maybe I would tell myself to quit smoking and that things will be okay, even though they look really, really bleak; but that\'s about it.

As it\'s been pointed out, you\'re probably just looking for some advice. What follows is some truly great advice (IMO) that I think could apply to all of us:

------------------------------------------------------

\"Advice, like youth, probably just wasted on the young\"
    by Mary Schmich

\'Ladies and gentlemen of the class of \'97:

Wear sunscreen:

If I could offer you only one tip for the future, sunscreen would be it. The long-term benefits of sunscreen have been proved by scientists, whereas the rest of my advice has no basis more reliable than my own meandering experience. I will dispense this advice now.

Enjoy the power and beauty of your youth. Oh, never mind. You will not understand the power and beauty of your youth until they\'ve faded. But trust me, in 20 years, you\'ll look back at photos of yourself and recall in a way you can\'t grasp now how much possibility lay before you and how fabulous you really looked. You are not as fat as you imagine.

Don\'t worry about the future. Or worry, but know that worrying is as effective as trying to solve an algebra equation by chewing bubble gum. The real troubles in your life are apt to be things that never crossed your worried mind, the kind that blind side you at 4 pm on some idle Tuesday.

Do one thing every day that scares you.

Sing.

Don\'t be reckless with other people\'s hearts. Don\'t put up with people who are reckless with yours.

Floss.

Don\'t waste your time on jealousy. Sometimes you\'re ahead, sometimes you\'re behind. The race is long and, in the end, it\'s only with yourself.

Remember compliments you receive. Forget the insults. If you succeed in doing this, tell me how.

Keep your old love letters. Throw away your old bank statements.

Stretch.

Don\'t feel guilty if you don\'t know what you want to do with your life. The most interesting people I know didn\'t know at 22 what they wanted to do with their lives. Some of the most interesting 40 year olds I know still don\'t know.

Get plenty of calcium. Be kind to your knees. You\'ll miss them when they\'re gone.

Maybe you\'ll marry, maybe you won\'t. Maybe you\'ll have children, maybe you won\'t. Maybe you\'ll divorce at 40, maybe you\'ll dance the funky chicken on your 75th anniversary. Whatever you do, don\'t congratulate yourself too much, or berate yourself either. Your choices are half chance. So are everybody else\'s.

Enjoy your body. Use it every way you can. Don\'t be afraid of it or of what other people think of it. It\'s the greatest instrument you\'ll ever own.

Dance, even if you have nowhere to do it but your living room.

Read the directions, even if you don\'t follow them.

Do not read beauty magazines. They will only make you feel ugly.

Get to know your parents. You never know when they\'ll be gone for good.

Be nice to your siblings. They\'re your best link to your past and the people most likely to stick with you in the future.

Understand that friends come and go, but with a precious few you should hold on. Work hard to bridge the gaps in geography and lifestyle, because the older you get, the more you need the people who knew you when you were young.

Live in New York City once, but leave before it makes you hard. Live in Northern California once, but leave before it makes you soft.

Travel.

Accept certain inalienable truths: Prices will rise. Politicians will philander. You, too, will get old. And when you do, you\'ll fantasize that when you were young, prices were reasonable, politicians were noble, and children respected their elders.

Respect your elders.

Don\'t expect anyone else to support you. Maybe you have a trust fund. Maybe you\'ll have a wealthy spouse. But you never know when either one might run out.

Don\'t mess too much with your hair or by the time you\'re 40 it will look 85.

Be careful whose advice you buy, but be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia. Dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it\'s worth.

But trust me on the sunscreen.

Hrm, things to tell my 17 year old self:
    - Learn the difference between wants and needs
    - Credit Cards are the devil
    - See that blond chick? Just let her go, man

Originally posted by Thunderhawker
    See that blond chick? Just let her go, man
    Never I tell you NEVER!!!! :twisted:

mmmm pretty simple shite

Stay off Drugs

Drink in moderation

Stay in school

Stop Smoking

Your gonna meet a psycho wench in a couple years ignore your feelings send her packing, the one your ment to be with won\'t be far off.

Oh an when the doctor tells ya you got stomach cancer kick him in the jimmy and tell him to just give ya the IBS Meds and save yourself a year of hell.