Miniature Mentor releases The Complete Guide to Miniature Painting DVD.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Miniature Mentor releases The Complete Guide to Miniature Painting DVD.

Default Miniature Mentor releases The Complete Guide to Miniature Painting DVD.

Miniature Mentor releases the Complete Guide to Miniature Painting DVD. The first in a series of video painting tutorials designed to take you through the whole painting process. Join Laurent Exposito Mas as he demonstrates his workflow and techniques in almost 4 hours of video. No step is missing or incomplete. Available in both instant download and DVD format.
    Miniature Mentor is the world's first resource for video training featuring tutorials by some of the industry's best artists like Allan Carrasco, Laurent Exposito Mas and Dimitri Peyrard.

http://www.miniaturementor.com

looks great....

is it all in English?

the whole video has an English audio commentary.

looks great....

is it all in English?
    I just ordered it, and I\'m downloading it now. I\'ll give you a review of it after I watch it. I tried to order the \"membership,\" but the link just led to the FAQ page, and didn\'t give me any details on it or let me buy it.

-Bexley

looks very cool,

Will the $30 download work on a mac?

I tried to watch the free clip and it wouldn\'t work. hmmm

- Q

I had to download the clip and then convert it to .avi, since I apparently don\'t have the Mpeg-2 codec, and didn\'t much feel like paying for it.

I got the clip working on my Mac by using VLC

www.videolan.org

The sample clip looks really high quality and has definitely sparked my interest.
    Looks like I know where some of next months pay\'s going.

I\'ve watched about twenty minutes or so (it takes quite a while to download, and it\'s pretty late now, so I\'m going to watch the rest tomorrow) and it\'s very nicely done. The shots are extremely well lit, focus in on the subject very closely, and the camera is very stable. Unless the next three and a half hours have no useful information whatsoever, I would say this is easily worth a $30 download. You\'ll need Quicktime to watch it, unless you have the ability to burn it to disc. (Which I plan on doing it before hitting the sack, so that I can watch it on the plasma screen tomorrow.)

In fact, I\'d say my only real complaint so far is that I wasn\'t able to buy a membership. The first month was the same price as the download, and $5 a month afterwards. Assuming there\'s regular monthly videos available (it seems that the idea is to do shorter monthly ones, and occasional large ones) it seems like a good deal.

Think I might download it when I get home from work tonight. I have spent $30 on rubbish before and have not regretted it so much so even if it doesn\'t cut the mustard it won\'t break the bank.

However the little demo clip seems great quality and I am sure there is a wealth of info just watching a respected painter doing a mini from beginning to end so I personally have high hopes I will learn a lot from it.

How long did the download take for you VPE?

I\'m not really sure. After purchasing, you get redirected to a download page with a list of files. Each chapter is a separate file. I would download one, go away and do something else for a bit, then check up on it every now and then and download another if the last one was done. I did it over about four hours or so, but I have no idea how long the idle time was between some of the files ending and me coming back to download another.

So, short answer: somehwere less than four hours. It\'s 2 GB, so it\'s going to be a while no matter what.

Geez, it\'s late. I have to get up for work in four hours.

(Ooh- quick comment- the earlier post said \"English commentary\" which makes it sound like it\'s dubbed or something. It\'s not. The artist speaks English very well, and it\'s back-and-forth conversation between him and the director/photographer/narrator.)

i just ordered the dvd
    screw this down load business lol

I bought the download :)

Quality is very, very good and worth the 2 hours it took me to download it all. A word of advice though make sure you don\'t want to do anything else on the net whilst you are downloading otherwise it will really slow everything down.

My only gripe at the moment is that having spent 2 hours downloading everything and then the time spent un-zipping all the files I have one file that will not un-zip but having e-mailed the support listed on the e-mail you get from them I am hoping this can be overcome :) don\'t let this put you off though :)

I have also downloaded most of it now.

Like everyone says the quality is good and looks like I can learn a lot from this.

I had 3 of the 14 files download incorrectly so also had to email support. Annoyingly two of them were the biggest ones so I spent an hour and 30 minutes downloading for nothing. Whole thing has taken me about 4 hours to download.

Other than these technical issues I am looking forward to watching it tomorrow.

Is the whole DVD devoted to just one miniature? I see that there are other titles such as \"white-cloth\" on the website. Are these included or they are separate purchase?

The whole DVD is devoted to one figure, in this case a Wolfen.

I tried clicking on the other titles but nothing happened so I am assuming that they are going to be future releases.

This goes to the free download photoshop link as well I think as nothing happened there either.

Slightly misleading salesmanship???

First off, I want to apologize to anyone whose had any sort of issue with the download. We never expected so much traffic in such a short period of time - by the end of the week we will upgrade our server to take care of those issues. Also,the sample clip is in avi format (microsoft video) Sorry about that slight oversight. We will be putting up a quicktime sample clip soon - also there is a slight problem with the sample clip audio which we are fixing right now - it is not, repeat not, on the download or the video. The subscription link will be active by the end of today or tommorow. For those people who have already purchased videos, we will send you a link that will allow you to start a subscription offer without paying the initial fee - if you\'re intereseted. This is the cheapest way to purchase by the way - and we plan on having tutorials released each month starting in March (one per month or two the following month). Also, the downloaded video is slightly less quality than the DVD. Two hours of DVD quality video takes up almost 10GB of space and the download is only 2GB. Apple\'s h.264 video codec does an excellent job of maintaining the quality but there is some loss. But the great thing about this codec is that it allows small file sizes and it works on both Mac and PC (unlike the sample clip). You will however need a fairly powerful computer to handle the video smoothly. Try closing all other applications if it doesn\'t run smooth.

P.S. this is our first attempt at this video. There will be bumps along the way but we have every intention of improving anything and everything. Thanks for your support.

I am downloading it right now, I have yet to unzip it.

looks like it\'s worth every dollar of the 30.

Might join the subscription as well. looking forward to the mail.

thnx so far :yes:

Originally posted by Maron
    I had 3 of the 14 files download incorrectly so also had to email support.
    Hm. I need to test them when I get home, then. Before going to bed, I set up to burn the first half of them to DVD. It got about a third of the way through, then encountered some sort of problem. That might explain it.

Though, I had no trouble sunzipping any of them, and that seems to be the problem most people are having.