Miniature Mentor releases The Complete Guide to Miniature Painting DVD. - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Miniature Mentor releases The Complete Guide to Miniature Painting DVD.

What dvd burning software do you have VPE?

Xilisoft\'s DVD Creator. But looking around online, it seems I need to get a Quicktime codec (aside from the one that Quicktime itself uses) to make it work properly, so unless that doesn;t work either, I\'ve solved the problem.

In the video, www.rackham.fr is listed as the source for the mini. That\'s true in Europe, but in North America, Fantasy Flight Games ( http://store.fantasyflightgames.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=75 )is the exclusive distributor of Rackham, and in theory, Rackham shouldn\'t be shipping product by direct sale to the US.

there is probably a diference between distribution and direct sales...

I know Reaper has a distributer in the UK but I had to go direct for a few bits.

shipping to the US from rackham is 20 euros, free for orders over 100 euros.

so why shouldn\'t rackham ship to america?

Well, I know for a fact that FFG is not allowed to send Rackham product to Europe. If you try and order from Europe, your order will be cancelled and you\'ll be directed to Rackham.fr.

It may be possible to order from the .fr site and have it shipped to the US- the exclusivity agreement might not be both ways. But at 20 Euros, why would you?

I\'ll add my endorsement to this Video, it is very good with few nice tips. Not sure I can have my house rebuilt to follow the recommendations though!

Also good to see a fellow brushlicker.

Originally posted by VPE Studios
    Well, I know for a fact that FFG is not allowed to send Rackham product to Europe. If you try and order from Europe, your order will be cancelled and you\'ll be directed to Rackham.fr.

It may be possible to order from the .fr site and have it shipped to the US- the exclusivity agreement might not be both ways. But at 20 Euros, why would you?
    FFG will have the license to distribute to the US only, that is why europe can\'t order from them.

I also have purchased and watched most of the video now. It\'s very interesting to see someone else\'s advanced techniques. Have really enjoyed it so far. My only critique would be more talking from the artist and less commentary from the videographer.

Overall it\'s great and I can\'t wait to see more!

- Q

Originally posted by generulpoleaxeFFG will have the license to distribute to the US only, that is why europe can\'t order from them.
    Well, it\'s a lot more complicated that that, but for all intents and purposes, FFG can send product anywhere but Europe, and Rackham can send product anywhere but North America.

Originally posted by generulpoleaxeFFG will have the license to distribute to the US only, that is why europe can\'t order from them.
    Well, it\'s a lot more complicated that that, but for all intents and purposes, FFG can send product anywhere but Europe, and Rackham can send product anywhere but North America.
    This is not true in any way shape or form. Both comapanies can ship to anywhere in the world. The problems with delivery will be rectified once some \'issues\' are sorted.

BTW I cannot get this sample to work on my pc.

When I try to play it it looks like this.

I wont part with any money until I can get this to work. I have got loads of different codecs, tried playing it in flash player, quicktime even downloaded the CCCP codec, to no avail.

Help anyone please.

Default file problem

If you convert the file from mpeg to avi format it will run fine on Windows Media Player. The sound is funny, but others who purchased the DVD say sound is fine on actual download. I hope this helps. The sample convinced me to buy the DVD. It looks great.

Thanks, I managed to do it, by converting it to an Ipod file and playing it through DVIX player. :D

Sorry about all the confusion. The sample clip was created in Adobe Premiere CS3 with as a windows MPEG-2 file (basically a DVD file). It will not play on QuickTime without some trickery. You need to use the latest version of the Windows Media Player to play the video back. Only a few people are having this problem. Thousands of people have played it without issue. My suggestion is to download the latest version of the Player and update your active-X plug-in. the actual tutorial ($30) WILL play back properly on QuickTime. The video is compressed in Apples h.264 format - you can check out the technology brief on their site at www.apple.com/quicktime/technologies/h264. If you can play any of the movie trailers on their site you will be able to play the downloadable video no problem. Try playing one of their smaller DVD sized movies to get a feel for the size and quality.

Again sorry for the confusion, the only reason we put the .mpg sample file on the site was to give people with older computers a chance to view it. h.264 requires a fairly powerful computer to play - at least Pentium 4 2Ghz.

Thanks MM

As said I have now played it so no problem.

Thousands ! :o

Originally posted by atacamThis is not true in any way shape or form. Both comapanies can ship to anywhere in the world. The problems with delivery will be rectified once some \'issues\' are sorted.
    Huh. That\'s pretty interesting. Because ordinarily, if you try ordering Rackham products through the FFG webstore from anywhere in Europe, you\'d get an e-mail from the sales department (or, for the next few weeks, from me, as our our e-commerce guy is on vacation) saying that we aren\'t allowed to send Rackham products to Europe, that your order has been cancelled, and that the correct place to go for online Rackham purchases in Europe is http://www.rackham.fr.

As for the DVD, I only have two problems:

1. The finished figure is only showed once, briefly, during a still shot in the Intro portion that shows how different light bulbs affect the colors of the figure. It would have been nice to see the finished figure, rotated around to see all sides.

2. On the website, it mentions learning how to paint anatomy and \"volumize muscle and bone.\" This was not part of the videos I downloaded. Is it on the DVD only, or was it cut? I would be upset if it is on the DVD only, as I\'d have ordered that instead. If it got cut, you might want to remove that bit of copy from the website.

Beyond these two things, though, I am extraordinarily pleased with this purchase. The quality is excellent and it\'s a HUGE difference from just reading about how these top class painters work. I\'m really looking forward to future releases.

Originally posted by atacamThis is not true in any way shape or form. Both comapanies can ship to anywhere in the world. The problems with delivery will be rectified once some \'issues\' are sorted.

Huh. That\'s pretty interesting. Because ordinarily, if you try ordering Rackham products through the FFG webstore from anywhere in Europe, you\'d get an e-mail from the sales department (or, for the next few weeks, from me, as our our e-commerce guy is on vacation) saying that we aren\'t allowed to send Rackham products to Europe, that your order has been cancelled, and that the correct place to go for online Rackham purchases in Europe is http://www.rackham.fr.

Yes this problem has been discussed on the UKCORD Official english Rackham board) And the official Rackham borads.
    We have been told that eventually once things are sorted FFG will take over distribution to everywhere.

Why would Rackham ship all of their product overseas so that FFG can send it back to Europe?

Hey everyone thanks for the overwhelming response and critisism - we actually like it. Our goal is to create a product that everyone will feel lives up to the hype. So here are two answers to some question in an earlier post. The DVD and the video download are EXACTLY the same. Also, Since the website was created in Flash before the whole video was edited that little bit of copy about \"volumsing muscle\" was left in. It will be removed - but in flash that is easier said than done. Since muscle and bone is such a huge topic and we felt was a master class tutorial, that is what we have decided to do. These two areas will be covered in-depth by Jedi Master Allan Carrasco and by new team member / painting overlord Mathieu Fontaine. Both of these artists do remarkable work in this area and we sure they will not dissapoint. Note however that we do cover flesh in the downloadable video - in the face section of the tutorial which is almost 45 minutes long.