181687 - Reaper - Toadman

Thread: 181687 - Reaper - Toadman

Shadzar

Default 181687 - Reaper - Toadman

http://www.coolminiornot.com/181687

ok so johnboyjjb suggested i make a thread about this guy.

any ideas on how to add a base for stabilization and/or proper environment would be appreciated. specifically where would this froggy be standing?
    i would like to have this guy stand up, but have no green stuff or similar without driving 2 hours to get it. :(

sooo. any ideas on making a base so this guy can stand up, and what the ground should look like where he is standing?

the foot i can\'t fix cause i have no idea what paint was used for the paint and take. so covering the foot a little is no problem.

any ideas on any of it would be good even if not about the base.

post constructive criticism here or the image itself is fine.

thanks.

Well, if you don\'t have access to Greenstuff, head to your local hobby shop and buy some air drying clay. Then superglue the mini to a bigger base, and using the clay, build the terrain up to the level of the existing base so that it is level. Then just paint the clay and base the same color. If you are going to put any basing material like static grass, you don\'t even have to worry too much about the original base and the clay lining up perfectly, as you can cover the seam with the static grass.

As far as the mini itself, I would at the very least do a dark brown (near black) wash to bring out some of the shadows, especially for the barrel of skulls. Give his eye a pupil!

Shadzar

frogs got pupils?

and to think these eyes are big enough i CAN actually paint a pupil (wierd circle like geomertic shape/blob) on them and didnt even notice this entire year!

i have read so many articles but anytime i try a wash i end up with a solid color figure of the wash color.

would my bullywug armor be the right way to do a wash?

http://www.coolminiornot.com/147974

It looks like your wash, though nice and even, might be a bit thick as you\'re getting strong coverage (for want of a better term) from it.

If this finish wasn\'t achieved by many thin glazes, try thinning and then thinning some more until.

It\'s a lot easier to build up layers than to have too much applied and take some off.

Regarding the eyes, I did see some done by Marike Reimer that I thought were very cool for this type of mini... here\'s the link: http://www.destroyerminis.com/display.php?sub=ploogak.jpg

And the base you can either build up with putty/green stuff to bring to the level of the rest or carefully remove the material around and under the feet. After that, they can be drilled, pinned and attached to any other base you fancy.

It\'s a neatly painted mini though and with some washes or shading and final high lighting would be better.

I hope this is the kind of feedback you were after.

just thin your paint way down 7:1 - 10:1 and while covering the whole area kinda coax it into the cracks and crannies it should do this naturally but sometimes I find dragging it gets it to some spots I want it that it doesn\'t normally flow.

an easy way I find to see how much tint my wash is going to give is to take my papertowel and drag some of my wash over a spot of dried paint you should still be able to see the paint thru your wash depending on what you want to achieve you can do this while adjusting your dilution and be good to go.

another way I do it sometimes as well is to take clean water paint it on where I want my wash, pool water up in creases holes whatnot then take some paint thinned maybe 2:1-4:1 and just touch the brush tip into the water and watch the pigment flow.

either way it\'s always good to have an old brush handy to dap up excess that flows where you don\'t want it.

hope this helps :)

I think you generally have the right idea with the Bullywug wash, but it probably was a bit too dark and resulted in more uniform coverage as squidders said. A simple way to fix at that point is to go back and highlight with the base color, while leaving the deeper areas dark with the wash. Then you can experiment with lighter and lighter highlights on top of that to really make the mini look great. Time consuming, and I am still learning as well!

Shadzar

Originally posted by squidders
    It looks like your wash, though nice and even, might be a bit thick as you\'re getting strong coverage (for want of a better term) from it.

If this finish wasn\'t achieved by many thin glazes, try thinning and then thinning some more until.

It\'s a lot easier to build up layers than to have too much applied and take some off.

Regarding the eyes, I did see some done by Marike Reimer that I thought were very cool for this type of mini... here\'s the link: http://www.destroyerminis.com/display.php?sub=ploogak.jpg

And the base you can either build up with putty/green stuff to bring to the level of the rest or carefully remove the material around and under the feet. After that, they can be drilled, pinned and attached to any other base you fancy.

It\'s a neatly painted mini though and with some washes or shading and final high lighting would be better.

I hope this is the kind of feedback you were after.
    presactly and excisely the feedback i was looking for.

it first tells me to find that paint because it works better than GW. and means i got to find a way to see better than i do now to do this highlighting and such.

the bullywug was a few black ink washes over scorched brown with some bestial brown highlights. i think the highlights were completely covered by the black ink.

i guess its time to go find and buy a brush smaller than 15/0 so i dont slap on too much with washes.

Blog Entries

If you haven\'t got the clay or the time to pick up some as suggested above, you can also try layering sand mixed with different sized ballast on the piece to bring everything to approximately the same level. Yes, it does make the piece look like its standing above the other minis on the board, but aren\'t they supposed to stand out?

Or if you want to go full bore on the piece you can cut the reaper base off and rebase entirely - just drill holes in the feet and pin to your hearts content to make it stay on the base.

As for what it should be based on, I\'d do something that resembles the frog habitat in your local area - but then again I\'m a bit strange like that.

Shadzar

its not for lack of time, but money to get sculpting stuff.

i have about 4 pounds of sculpy from 1993 and the stuff still forms, but i have nothing to cook it in. darn stuff is still workable and i sat on my eastern island head and had to redo it recently.

how hard would it be to drill holes in reaper metals?

i have enver tried and don\'t have a pin drill, but have a dremel.

MANY assorted bits both drill and diamond point engraving bits, but no idea how quickly the metal would melt and what setting to turn the dremel to (lowest probably).

with plastic i just let the speed soar and melt my way through, but with smaller feet i don\'t want to punch through my finger with molten pewter.

and should i use pliers or the dremel to remove the base?

oooh! i got it! i will test the dremel bits and speeds on the base as i remove it!

thanks for answering that question for me steelcult!

frog habitat in my local area... that would be the middle of the street. i guess they never had an atari 2600 to learn their lesson. but seriously around here animals do wierd things.

haven\'t seen deer in a tree yet, but it wouldn\'t surprise me since any animal locally will go anywhere and i rarely see them where the school books said they would be found.

Blog Entries

I\'ve got a pair of end nippers I use to remove pesky base bits - then I clean them up with the dremel and a burr bit.

As for local habitat, aren\'t you in one of the Carolina\'s? Find some good swamp shots and try to mimic that - barring all else, put him on a strait sand base and tell folks with a strait face he\'s a rare desert toadman.

Edit -

I\'d worry less about melting the base and more about the dust grinding with the dremel will produce btw. If you can do it somewhere you can control the dust - over a plastic lined box wearing a mask works for me.

Shadzar

oh i use a cutoff wheel for removing excess metal bits.

i have to worry about fires more than dust. :D

once i get the base removed i just file with a set of needle files.

so you don\'t think the dremel will bother the feet when trying to pin it to a new base?

i tried swamp with the bullywug, but it didn\'t turn out right as i don\'t have them near me.

i know i can stick him anywhere, but just thinking for ideas based on what other people do with these things that don\'t have the round bases as i have painted many over the years, but never really thought about making other bases.

now i just glock my 40k and prebased minis.

i have a basing idea, let me take a few pics of my tau human auxillarys i have for a moddy base and see if those might work.

Why don\'t you use your glue stick idea to make the swamp - colour it with greens and browns, and stick some long grass out of it (with a blob of glue on some of the grass to make those cat tail grass thingies)

You could dribble the hot glue over his feet then to look like he is in the water. Clear nail varnish isn\'t bad for this either

Shaz

Thats a top notch idea there Shaz, considerin the slime effec on the dwarf you should be able to whip up a swamp in no time.

Shadzar

then i wouldn\'t need to worry about removing the feet. i would just need something to make the bottom of the base out of and i could even have some field grass and clump foliage sticking out of the swamp....

my hot glue \"idea\" was more of a mistake than on purpose and i try to only rememebr the mistakes as to what part not to do again, aka slicing off parts of DDMs without proper glue tohold them together so the hot glue had completely slipped my mind. :redface:

now i just need to figure out what to start making the base out of to start the swamp (time to look for some old credit cards). great ideas there!