Thread: Cleaning mould lines on plastic models !

Default Cleaning mould lines on plastic models !

As the title suggests what do you find is the quickest/ most effective way of getting rid of those mould lines?

I\'ve tried using the edge of a scalpel ( not too easy nor tidy)

Needle files tend to leave bad scratch marks on easily marked plastics so any suggestions would be most welcome ( im doing tyranids atm )

The best way is to scrape off the lines with a sharp modelling knife. Hold the knife perpendicular to the line and scrape carefully until you have a smooth surface. Cutting is no good! A dull knife is also no good!

Yea scrape, as if you were peeling a potato.

This is wonderful. for Molding lines. (metal or plastic.)

Modeling knife or disposable scalpel. Non-disposable is fine too but you have to sharpen it often.
    After this I use fine sanding paper size 600 or less (it goes all the way to 1500, the bigger number the finer the paper)

Coffin Dodger / Keymaster airhead's Avatar

needle files with a very fine tooth are good.

An old diamond dust fingernail file works pretty good too. Just don\'t \"borrow\" the good one that she\'s still using.

I use the old hobby knife, sort of, I actually use a scalpel like knife with disposable blades designed for wood carving, so the handle is heavier and the blades are thicker, just because I carve wood and I\'m used to the thing. Same result as far as scraping off mold lines though.

I\'ve heard of people using acetone or polystyrene cement or something that dissolves plastic to melt the mold lines. Not sure how well it works but it\'s supposed to be a good way to do skeleton ribs or tyranid armour plates. Gets in between all the cracks. I can\'t see it working all that well on larger, visible, flat surfaces though.

Or not melting holes in the thing.

Im with the scalpel crowd here, needle files are to unwieldy for that kind of thing, and I find sand paper here horrible, just falls apart, but yeah, a thin scalpel blade, on a proper handle, used perpendicular, gently as you go.

Best thing to remember is, you can always take more off with one more pass, but if you cut too deep, its hard to put it all back again.

I also am one of the scalpel/craft knife crowd however I differ a little in that I actually prefer a slightly dulled blade on my knife.
    Generally I use the blade first pass in cutting paper with another hobby I partake in and when it is too blunt for precision cutting of the paper it then gets relegated to removing mold lines on my miniatures.
    I find that the slightly dulled blade helps in preventing accidental cuts or \"jagging\" into the plastic and it is till sharp enough to scrape those lines perfectly. This works well in awkward places where it is very easy to knick the plastic and ruin your mini. You can apply a little pressure and not gouge your plastics.
    But whatever you do don\'t use a knife that has any sort of nick or defect along the cutting edge as it will transfer that imperfection to your plastic mini.