How I build large scale dioramas! - Page 3
Page 3 of 29 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: How I build large scale dioramas!

There is not a lot to chose from in 1/16(120mm) scale.The important thing is to be aware of the fact that there can be a difference in scale depending on the manufacturer.I usually try not to mix them especially in a group setting.

Stranded CNR truck drivers!
    For now I am calling these two guys CNR truck drivers.I have not been able to find out in they would have worn some kind of uniform or not or what those uniforms may have looked like.If they wore uniforms I presume that they would have a military look about them which seemed to be popular in that era.
    The colors for the under painting are from my imagination and were selected to blend in with the surroundings.Next up is the furniture which will be simple boxes built to accommodate the figures positioning.It is always a lot easier to adapt the furniture to the figure than the other way around.
    These two guys are taking a break as their truck has either broken down or overheated.They could be waiting for a replacement truck or the engine to cool down ,either way they are not going anywhere for awhile.

Lovely, absolutely lovely... makes me want to go find my old Italeri-models and dust them off... This is, as so many others have stated, an absolutely stunning piece! Personally I\'ve never made anything in such a large scale, mostly because I havent got the building space. Seeing this I really wish i did!

I think that I will stop here for now as too much handling is causing the figures to become too shiny.I will glue this all together as one assembly and then hold on to the wooden boxes to complete the painting.Anyway this gives you an idea of how it will look when finished.
    The black guys left arm will require a book or something for support.

Originally posted by Chrome
    Lovely, absolutely lovely... makes me want to go find my old Italeri-models and dust them off... This is, as so many others have stated, an absolutely stunning piece! Personally I\'ve never made anything in such a large scale, mostly because I havent got the building space. Seeing this I really wish i did!
    Thank you for your kind words.Cheers! John.

Actually playing around in the weeds is a lot of fun.In addition to the old Husky-chewed brush for the tall grass,I also used some dried out dill weed and a few items from plastic artificial floral arrangements . The weeds are HO train stuff some of which has been sprayed with yellow ochre to give it a Fall look.I have noticed here in Canada in November some grass and weeds can remain quite green in color right up to the first snowfall.I will work in a little brown pastels of various shades between the weeds to represent a more earthy soil.I haven\'t yet decided how far I will extend the weeds along both sides of the edge.If anyone,especially the RR guys have any ideas of how I can improve the look ,please advise.Maybe it is time for another trip to the hobby store RR section to see what I can find.

still just as amasing, but I could use some in the proces shots, not just all the finished ones

Originally posted by Manus
    still just as amasing, but I could use some in the proces shots, not just all the finished ones
    see my photobucket at:
    http://s6photobucket.com/albums/y250/JohnReid/:)

Upon completion of this \"Keepers of the Flame\" project I plan to organize this thread into a more comprehensive book -like form ,concentrating upon the order of build ,using both text and pictures in their proper sequence.I will permanently post an album of pics of this diorama under construction.
    Because I am limited to a 1,000 pics on my photobucket album, I have had to on occasion delete some of the older pics.Some of you have expressed to me that you find it frustrating searching for something only to find it has been deleted.
    I agree!
    The new more book-like thread will concentrate more on the build itself rather than the JohnReid philosophy of art and other ramblings.Tips and techniques will be put in its proper section for easier reference.
    When I started this thread I had no idea that it would grow to the size that it has ,so for those interested please be patient with the present format for awhile.Cheers! John.

Sounds good, but maybe you should do one or several articles as it has more powerful tools for editing?