Real Metals???
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Real Metals???

Coffin Dodger / Keymaster airhead's Avatar

Default Real Metals???

I know some of you (not us) shine at NMM, but what would be the possiblity of real brass & chrome weapons?

Companies like Reaper, GW, etc. use a stock set of weapons in most (90%?) of their casts. Couldn\'t they get the weapons cast in brass (gold)? or chrome plated (SENMM)?

I would be willing to buy a few blisters of them (if they were not priced like gold) to replace the lead ones. Just the standard weapon packs - sword blades, axe heads, spear tips, maybe even shields, etc.

Hmmm, you can always mail \'em , but I don\'t think they do that, for the brass you could make a mould of the lead ones and cast \'em yourself in brass :)

Default There would be problems...

Just off the top of my bonce:

1) Lead (and it\'s alloys) is used for these jobs because of its low melting point and consequent ability to stay liquid in the mould in order to allow fine detail to be cast. The moulds used for casting lead are generally made of rubber!!! Metals with a higher melting point would require much more expensive casting techniques and therefore be prohibitively expensive.

2) Chrome is simply a plating technique used used mainly on ferrous metals. You can\'t actually cast chrome easily, if at all. It is also VERY expensive. The amount of chrome needed to make a couple of small weapons for a mini could probably do all the chrome plating on the average motorbike...

3) I have tried two other methods of getting a \'real\' metal finish. The first is really simple, just polish the lead/pewter to a high shine and seal. Looks very convincing...The other method involves using metal leaf. Looks horrendous on large areas IMO but can be useful on weapons etc.

That would be cool, but I\'m afraid that honest to god chrome would look kinda out of place on a mini. I mean, think of all the reflections! IMHO, it wouldn\'t matter if it was a nice paint job, cause you\'d be distracted by the purty, shiny thing........Who knows, though, I haven\'t actually seen chrome on a mini, so I don\'t know what it would be like. Hopefully, not like RLobinske\'s......\"natural\"....technique :)

I don\'t think that real metal would go well on a mini, it\'s just like when I put rocks on my base and people ask me \"why do you paint them??\". Well yes we are looking for somthing realistique but it would be like puting a picture in a cartoon, it just dosn\'t fit.

Default Plated of coarse

Originally posted by finn17
    ...2) Chrome is simply a plating technique used used mainly on ferrous metals. You can\'t actually cast chrome easily, if at all. It is also VERY expensive. The amount of chrome needed to make a couple of small weapons for a mini could probably do all the chrome plating on the average motorbike...
    I was thinking of plating the weapons. Much like the plastic auto models use chrome plated plastic for bumbers, trim & stuff.

Maybe nickle instead of chrome for a sword?

:idea:Hmmm, I remember a high school experiment we did with a 9v battery and a penny. Liquid frisket (rubber cement) would mask the area that you don\'t want plated. May have to try it. Nickle plated chainmail here I come....lol

Hello
    If you just polish the mini, you can get pretty good results
    I\'ve tried it on a rackham mini:
    http://www.coolminiornot.com/index.php?id=24450&c=All&m=All&nm=none

Hello, Manu, and welcome to the forums. Very nice mini you have there. My question would be, though, is sealing it enough to keep the metals from re-oxidizing and ruining the finish.???

Wow
    It looks really good on the sword, maybe not has nice on the armour thought. But it sure looks great.:D One more technique for me to try !!! :P:D

Default Welcome to the forums manu...

That is a superb example! Well done. I suggested simply polishing the metal in the post above, but I have only ever done this to get a silver effect. I must try the smoke effect you describe...it looks really cool. Thanks for sharing it with us:D

Blog Entries

Would it be possible to post a more detailed set of instructions in an Article perhaps? Looks very cool and I\'d love to try it... NMM doesn\'t fit in with much of the stuff I\'ve painted before :)

Excellent work Manu and congratulations on making your first splash on the forum when not using any paint!lol
    (Oh, the iron(y)!lol)

Grumbold Ironbrow

Default Very cool polished metal

Manu;

I agree with Jericho, this is a very cool effect and it would be very helpful to see an article onhowit was done. Welcome to the forums by the way!

Cheers,
    Grumb :cool:

Phew, nice work, I\'m just gonna take back what I said and slink back into the corner.......:(

Wow! I am surprised it worked that well! I agree, please post an article on it. Do the inks still dry well on the unprimed area? And do you have to mask it off when you prime?

Default re: manu\'s metal polishing

HOLY GUACAMOLE!!!

My head just exploded.

:o

Excellent example. I\'ve also seen another one at my local GW store on a LOTR figure of an elf.

Very nice effect.:D

Regards

Kat

Default SWEEET

Now that\'s what I\'m talking about.:o

A little base work & that fig would ROCK.

what exactly do you use to polish the metal(tools etc) do you need a dremel with the appropriate bit?

t_haye2

Originally posted by UncleHex
    Excellent work Manu and congratulations on making your first splash on the forum when not using any paint!lol
    (Oh, the iron(y)!lol)
    :D:D:D:D

It does looks sweet, I must admit I love it! I think you can just polish up the metal by using a hard, smooth piece of metal(like the end of a wax 5 sculpting tool), and buff it up with that. Because the metal miniatures are made out of is so soft, that will also get rid of any irregularities in the metal. I\'m guessing Tamia smoke and lots of gloss varnish afterwards...