Mac Question...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mac Question...

Default Mac Question...

I\'ve had it up to my eyeballs with my Windows based laptop and my wife and I are thinking of buying a macbook this evening. Just out of curiosity, will the macbook run applications like WoW, etc? or is the resource handling capability insufficient?

Most traditional laptops stuggle with games like that unless they are built specifically for that purpose (like XPS machines).

Just wondering.

I have a macbook pro and when I first got it the specs matched them of the macbooks now (roughly)
    And mine could handle pretty much every game I played on it. Even Myst 5.

*EDIT* And I\'v just looked at the specs and even the bottom spec machine will run WoW at recommended levels.

ressources on a mac are usually higher then those on a PC so have no fear !!

I\'ve had a Mac my whole life and have never been disapointed. And every time I have to use windows is usually a horrifying experience :P

Well, I have been planning to do this for a while anyway but I\'m pretty well sold at this point. I\'ll be going to get it done in about two hours.

I\'m thinking this problem is largely solved, but: any problems finding software? (are programs like gimp, etc. available on the mac?)

Blog Entries

I don\'t know about gimp, but most other photo editing software (the real expensive stuff) is available on Mac. I think Adobe helped design the graphic interface of OSX actually.

Another nice thing about Macs, you can use Boot Camp to load a copy of Windows on your Mac if you need access to your old software. Just pick which OS you want when you boot up.

Default mac

if you are buying a macbook for gaming you will be dissapointed...they were not designed for gaming...if you want a mac for games get the imac and max out its RAM before taking it home...or do it yourself later.:beer:

The whole non-compatibility issue is almost non existant now. You may not be able to get exactly the same software but you can get versions of it. I\'v never had a problem finding stuff. But it\'s pretty much only specific software that only works on just one, stuff like systems for businesses etc.
    And yea, GIMP works on OSX.

Plus, you can run Windows on a Mac via a number of different ways now if you really need to run a certain app.

mikesilk
    if you are buying a macbook for gaming you will be dissapointed...they were not designed for gaming...if you want a mac for games get the imac and max out its RAM before taking it home...or do it yourself later.:beer:
    Even this isn\'t much of a problem as the latest macbook pro\'s and g5\'s come with nvidia 8600 graphics cards. Even the lowest spec macs will run most games. Some would ask a bit too much (HL2,Crysis) but for wow a macbook would run it fine.

As an operator mac osx is infinitely better than windows.

Well, I not exactly buying it for gaming, but I\'d like to do a bit every now and again. I\'m not a die hard gamer I just want to know that it will run the ones I enjoy when I do play.

btw, I don\'t even know what crysis and HL2 are but I\'d like to try some of the other MMORPG games out there like guild wars and the like that my current laptop (a compaq presario) either won\'t play or clocks out on and turns into an expensive toaster oven.

I thought this was a Macaroni question. I can\'t help with Apple products... but macaroni sounds good... off to the kitchen!

Whatever you do don\'t pay apples prices for extra memory - buy it and fit it yourself for about 1/4 of the cost

Shaz

Alright, I\'m posting this message on my shiny new macbook!
    :D

Gotta say, thus far I freakin\' love this thing. This computer is doing things intuitively that my windows machines never even hinted at doing.

Anyway, I purchased the book, a printer (which is essentially free after rebate) and microsoft office software suite for about $1300 after my corporate discount for working where I do. Not to shabby methinks. Especially since the macbook is top end book before you get to macbook pro.

I really am just blown away buy this guy so far...Wish I\'d done this sooner. Thanks to all of you who offered advice and feedback!

Enjoy it! They aren\'t all hype as you will find out

One suggestion - if you have windows software you want to use, buy VMware fusion (my preference) or parallels and install windows into it. You can then effectively run OS X and windows at the same time - very handy for some bits and bobs

Shaz

Its official mattrock is now a member of H.O.M.O. (Honorable Order of Mac Owners)

You\'ll have to watch out for pandas now.

Panda Attack!!

Inherited a new mac yesterday - it\'s gorgeous!

20\" screen, 232GB hard drive, wireless keyboard and mouse :drool:

Originally posted by Fizl
    Enjoy it! They aren\'t all hype as you will find out

One suggestion - if you have windows software you want to use, buy VMware fusion (my preference) or parallels and install windows into it. You can then effectively run OS X and windows at the same time - very handy for some bits and bobs

Shaz
    or you can get boot camp:D