So how did i do? ...really
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So how did i do? ...really

Default So how did i do? ...really

I\'ve been a voyeur of CMON for a long time. I finally got around to putting some photos up on the site and I\'ve got mixed emotions about my scores. I understand that to some extent the scores are rubbish, however, they are by no means in the \'8\' and up range.... so what do i need to do to improve? Thanks for your feedback on how to improve this piece, I think it was the best of those i submitted... regardless of scores.

vote link: http://www.coolminiornot.com/181975

Additionally, here is a link to the model getting the highest score of those i posted:

http://www.coolminiornot.com/182006

First thing I\'d sugest is get pics of her infront of a grey gradient back drop as the blue one makes her fade away from focus. As far as painting your blues look lovely, the skin tone is nice and icey. Perhaps a lil more highlight on the black (tho lol I stay away from black and white as I can\'t quite figure em out brain to brush it just goes bad for me) and a couple spots mainly inbetween her toes could maybe do with a lil smoothing. Only other suggestion if ya want to push the score is maybe a lil something special on the base like some snow, she seems like a cold mountain lass maybe a couple icecicles off the lip of the rock.

All in all tho a solid job 7.5

and you other piece :) I love that mini. I had apparently already voted 8 on it I like it and not sure what to say other then maybe just adding lil things to make it pop some water effect, maybe push the highlights/shadows a bit more etc etc.

I kknow the feeling tho been tuff pushin into the 7\'s and crickey I can only imagine how insaine it\'ll be trying to push up beyond that.

your shading is smooth which is a great start.
    try increasing the highlits a little and taking your shading a little darker.
    this will increase contrast a lot, but in a more subtle way than you would think.

the pic is too big as it won\'t fully show up on a lot of peoples monitors, try 600x600 pixels.
    this meets the max width allowed and still give a realy good size (usualy 3.5 times the size of a 30mm model)

the base seems a little bit basic (nice tho) and is often a part of the model that people rush or don\'t think about even tho it completes the piece.
    try to think about the setting and the mood as the base can realy enhance the feel of this.

lastly, look around at urban and rural settings, their is a lot of stuff that can be added to a base to make it appear more real, dirt, rubbish, foliage, you name it, it can be added.

check out the galleries of people like automaton, banshee and allan c to just name a few.
    it will give you ideas and inspire you to push your skills in various areas.

and lastly, enjoy what you are working on, don\'t just paint the latest releases to try and get higher scores (it does work) as you won\'t feel as inspired, find a model that realy gives you the urge to paint it and create a base that makes it come alive.

hope that helps.

:)

Moved to the land of Oz in March of 2014. Interesting place, Kansas.
    Blog Entries

I think the blue background is over powering the mini. The painting seemd good but I think your highlights are being eaten by all that blue. Try grey or better yet black. The grey might wash out the skin.

Thanks for the initial feedback gang.

Anyone know where i can get a grey gradient (sp?) background as a free download?

The overall painting (and especially the blending) is very well done and the base is good, so this mini is surely worth an 8. But I would vote a 7 (or even a 6 if I didn\'t take much time to study the mini) simply because of the picture quality. Choose a more neutral backdrop (grey or light beige), and also make the picture lighter. Is your camera on an automatic setting? If not, increase the shutter time.

The mini itself would probably be worth something between 7.5 and 8. But with that picture quality I think the score can go down with a whole point.

can\'t really add anythinng to what has been said. i think the darkness of the photograph is dragging it down the most

Coffin Dodger / Keymaster airhead's Avatar

Originally posted by pez5767
    ...Anyone know where i can get a grey gradient (sp?) background as a free download?
    You can pick them up cheap at most camera stores. (dedicated camera stores like Wolf, etc. - not Best Buy, etc.)

So from what I\'m getting, i should intensify the highlights and shadding a bit and work on my photography... is that right?

I found a free download for the blue backgroud i have... anyone know where i might be able to find a black one?

Coffin Dodger / Keymaster airhead's Avatar

Familiar with stage make up?
    The lights wash out the contrast so they amplify it with makeup.
    Similar problems with minis.

Up close paint
    |-----|

For photo work paint
    |---------------|

Try a fabric shop and get a 1\' square of black velvet for a black background.

@airhead: So which do you do for painting contest paint? ???

I found a grey background, i\'ll try and get some photos in the next day or two.

Originally posted by generulpoleaxe
    the base seems a little bit basic (nice tho) and is often a part of the model that people rush or don\'t think about even tho it completes the piece.
    try to think about the setting and the mood as the base can realy enhance the feel of this.

lastly, look around at urban and rural settings, their is a lot of stuff that can be added to a base to make it appear more real, dirt, rubbish, foliage, you name it, it can be added.

check out the galleries of people like automaton, banshee and allan c to just name a few.
    it will give you ideas and inspire you to push your skills in various areas.
    Also give a look at Generul\'s gallery not only a great painter but an absolute master of kickass bases.

Friar: Thanks for the tip. Yeah I can see where my bases could use some work, however, this is a play piece model, so I don\'t want to spend too long on the base...

It\'s really a matter of that old catch 22. I\'m paint to play... but I love to paint so I have to find that balance between the amount of time I can spend on a model and actually getting a force to field on the table.

depending on where you are based (UK,US<FRANCE,SPAIN,UPSIDE DOWN LAND :D ) depends on who you can get easier lessons off.

being shown some of the techniques in person will speed up the learning process.

if you can\'t get to any conventions etc where they have demos or in the case of some lucky people seminars put on by a master then pick up the miniatures mentor dvd (it\'s a cracking buy)

Friar: Thanks for the tip. Yeah I can see where my bases could use some work, however, this is a play piece model, so I don\'t want to spend too long on the base...

It\'s really a matter of that old catch 22. I\'m paint to play... but I love to paint so I have to find that balance between the amount of time I can spend on a model and actually getting a force to field on the table.
    I hear ya there, not to mention alot of extra detailing lends itself to either breaking or wearing off during play and transit.

Anyone know where i can get a grey gradient (sp?) background as a free download?
    Do you have access to PowerPoint? That\'s how I make my background gradients. I wonder if Bill Gates would get mad if I posted a bunch of PPT-produced JPGs somewhere for people to use?

@PegaZus: In the immortal words of the Guiness inventors, \"Brilliant!\"

@PegaZus: In the immortal words of the Guiness inventors, \"Brilliant!\"
    For which idea? The PPT gradients or Bill Gates hiring goons to smash my knees? ???

If it is the first, I can\'t claim credit for the idea. Don\'t remember where I read that; possibly the articles here. Damn memor...whatsit.

Anyone else have suggestions for areas to improve my painting... I know my photography needs work.

Very nice looking posts both of them, if you want better score\'s its photography you need to look to first. The second one shows the colours far better and your score is a little low, hopefully its just been boosted a little :.

Once you can faithfully reproduce your images, Highlighting is next and .

Best of luck and some very nice work there