Art Schools in the UK
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Art Schools in the UK

Default Art Schools in the UK

I live in the us right now, and i\'m currently going to a community college and majoring in art. I really would love to come to the uk and study art over there and major in illustration...possibly some of you could tell me which ones are good..and maybe give me a link to some websites...Thanks

Newcastle College. Apparently one of the best in the UK for art based courses.

http://www.ncl-coll.ac.uk/

In NY there are some world class art schools. Otis Parsons and one called (I think) The Art Institute................but hey, it\'s in NY, not England.

Originally posted by Recoil889 I really would love to come to the uk and study art over there and major in illustration...
    Why? Costs are far higher over here, and I can\'t believe that the US\'s Art Education establishments are going to be that limited.

What ever you do don\'t study art at Blackburn...I had a terrible time on my course. They tried to knock all that was fantasy out of me....although i did sign-up for a fine arts course so i should of known better :)

My sister has recently been applying for university art courses at the moment, so I know a little but don\'t take what I say as the absolute truth!

I did a search for degree level (BA HON) full time courses in the UK offering some sort of illustration and the list is here. I think of them all the University of the Arts London is thought of by some people as among the best. It is the largest University in Europe for art, design, fashion, communication and the performing arts. From what my sister said it is extremely hard to get in and applications outstrip places by a very large number. There are also lots of other very good universities on the link too.

Not trying to put you off I think it\'s great you want to travel and learn things in another country, but as DR said - especially with the dollar to pound exchange rate and costs here (especially in London) it could cost a very large amount. I am sure the US has a lot of great art universities and they would surely be cheaper than studying in the UK. But again not trying to put you off - I think it\'s great here and you\'d most likely have a great time.

Thanks for the responses. There are some great art schools here in boston. But, its expensive enough, like between 20-30k a year, that i\'d be willing to come over and study. Also, it\'s kind of been a dream of mine to go see the rest of the world. I still need to look into it some more, but nothing is concrete as of yet!:beer:

My suggestion to you is find a good school in the USA that your happy with that has an over seas study program or exchange program. When I was in college oh so long ago, we had a exchange program with a school in Germany for a year program. I know many that took advantage of it. The tuition costs were the same as if you were in the USA and the only expenses were what you spent over there. Many even lived with German families so they had the cultural experiance also.

But as Mike pointed out, with the weakness of the dollar and the strength of the pound..every think in the UK is 2 times as expensive as here.

Originally posted by Recoil889
    Thanks for the responses. There are some great art schools here in boston. But, its expensive enough, like between 20-30k a year, that i\'d be willing to come over and study. Also, it\'s kind of been a dream of mine to go see the rest of the world. I still need to look into it some more, but nothing is concrete as of yet!:beer:
    If you\'re looking for a \'high powered\' diploma you may be stuck having to pay big bucks for the major schools but if not, don\'t give short shrift to JC\'s. I don\'t know about right now but at the time I went to our local JC, it\'s art department was considered the best on the West Coast. I learned a lot there.

Originally posted by Dragon Forge Design
    But as Mike pointed out, with the weakness of the dollar and the strength of the pound..every think in the UK is 2 times as expensive as here.
    Even without the weak dollar prices in the UK are much higher for a lot of things than in the US.
    As an example of costs here is the Open College of the Arts website with costs of £4000 for a correspondance course.
    That however is nothing like the costs of attendance University courses.

Originally posted by Dragonsreach
    Originally posted by Dragon Forge Design
    Even without the weak dollar prices in the UK are much higher for a lot of things than in the US.
    As an example of costs here is the Open College of the Arts website with costs of £4000 for a correspondance course.
    That however is nothing like the costs of attendance University courses.
    Heck I was thinking things as simple as a meal at McDonalds that might cost 4 pounds is like $8.00 US and thats a cheap one.. But yeah thats an expensive course.

my antie went to chelsea art collage and i\'m hopeing to go there too.

If you want London, try Camberwell - http://www.camberwell.arts.ac.uk/cou...lustration.htm

My preference would be Falmouth in Cornwall or maybe Brighton in Sussex both of which have always had a good reputation and best of all you\'re next to the sea! :D

Brighton

Falmouth

Originally posted by Dragon Forge DesignHeck I was thinking things as simple as a meal at McDonalds that might cost 4 pounds is like $8.00 US and thats a cheap one..
    Euuuew McDogburger *Shudders*.:|~

Cost of a Grande Mocha in Starbucks (without cream) = £2.95 or close to $6 US.
    8oz Sirloin steak meal in a pub/resteraunt = £15 to £18, without drinks. (Plus quality won\'t be anything like the states.)
    Dominios delivery pizza deal £15 (Pizza dippers and Garlic bread)
    And these are costs in the provinces not London. Expect to pay a significantly higher premium for any food in \"The Smoke\".

Originally posted by Dragon Forge DesignHeck I was thinking things as simple as a meal at McDonalds that might cost 4 pounds is like $8.00 US and thats a cheap one..
    Euuuew McDogburger *Shudders*.:|~

Cost of a Grande Mocha in Starbucks (without cream) = £2.95 or close to $6 US.
    8oz Sirloin steak meal in a pub/resteraunt = £15 to £18, without drinks.
    Dominios delivery pizza deal £15 (Pizza dippers and Garlic bread)
    And these are costs in the provinces not London. Expect to pay a significantly higher premium for any food in \"The Smoke\".
    Yeah last time I was in London a simple Indian meal cost me 20 pounds..thats like $40.00..I can go to an all you can eat Indian Buffet here with over 40 items to choose from for $8.95 and that includes my drink.

$30.00 for a Pizza.. man thats deadly..

There is quite a few good institutes for art in the UK, most are as before mentioned in London, but the reputation of Blackpool and Fylde college is quite great as well. They have a variety of courses and have many winners in the D&AD student awards each year. The only problem is Blackpool isn\'t the nicest place in England, but it is close to many major cities Manchester, Liverpool (capitol of culture) Preston (not a major city but the newest i think)

One of my tutors did illustration there, but is also a film effects director as well as teaching of course. As matty said newcastle has a good reputation. As does Edgehill (my uni :D)

it depends though on what you would prefer though a good course or a chance to see a nice city.

I know fees for UK based students are 3070 a year, and i knew a few chinese who went to uclan and said it was 7000 for them, so i presume that would be the price for you also

I can go to an all you can eat Indian Buffet here with over 40 items to choose from for $8.95 and that includes my drink.
    I absolutely love all you can eat buffets, indian, chinese or anything :D

sorry 4 going off topic lol

@shawn: I am at a pretty good community college now, They have a VERY strong art program there. Diploma is really not so much the direction i want to head. Im afraid that with a diploma, i wont be able to advance very far because of lack of a degree...
    @beezlebrush: Thanks for the links..oddly enough, i live in a town here called Falmouth:cool:
    @DR:Thanks for the insight, just thinking of everyday things like that is kind of scary...its a shame things have to cost so much, although, who am i to complain, i want to advertise for the corperate machine!:~(
    @cleezy, thanks for the info, and i hear ya on the buffet!

Why? Costs are far higher over here...
    Exactly what I was going to mention.

Quite apart from the weakness of the US$ against the pound at the moment, foreign students I think still pay a much higher rate to Brits.

Originally posted by Recoil889
    Thanks for the responses. There are some great art schools here in boston. But, its expensive enough, like between 20-30k a year...
    Thought I\'d better check that last bit I posted above, so I went looking for the LCP\'s site (London College of Printing, very prestigious art/graphics school in central London where most of my tutors went). It\'s changed name now but here\'s the page on the tuition rates for foreign students *gulp*

At today\'s exchange rate foundation year will cost you $13,484, in tuition alone; a BA $20,623 per annum. Gotta add in significant accommodation and transportation fees - it\'s London - so you\'d want to be pretty well-heeled, unless you can get a grant.

Since you want to go into illustration (fine choice by the way :D) the market for it is better in the US, pays better too. Now honestly I can\'t remember anything about the colleges with illustration courses from when I was looking (might be hopelessly out of date anyway since this was before you were born I\'d guess!) but I\'m sure you\'d be able to match the quality, at least, in a US course as you\'d find in the UK. Just need to do the legwork, find one that suits.

Maybe look at the bios of some noted illustrators, find out where they went...

Einion

If it\'s too expensive in the UK you could go to Sweden, there are no tuition fees here. :) I think there are some decent art programmes too. Not all of them are offered in english but some are.

+ for some reason swedish people are fascinated by americans (wow you\'re just like on TV! :P ) so I\'m sure you would make many friends.