Do you find people\'s votes on CMON are getting harsher? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do you find people\'s votes on CMON are getting harsher?

but do people feel its a good or a bad thing for the hobby? on one hand as the boundries are pushing it gives the hobby more kudos and shows its more than just men with beards dobbing paint on little men. But on the other hand is it getting discouraging for new people coming along with there first mini\'s and realising (usually) there own standard is much lower??
    and discuss

Default CRUEL !

Just checked out your Elf and the 3 is a rather cruel vote.(I give that score to people how get a mouthful of paint and spit it at the mini!) lol.
    Your model is neatly painted, good shading on the sleeves and cloak.The face could do with a bit more contrast between the highlights and shadows. :beer:
    Try and improve in one area with every mini you paint , study the work of really good painters and check their methods .Any direct questions contact me :bouncy: .
    Keep up the good work :beer:
    \" DONT let the fascists get you down \"!
    GOD bless ................VINCENTI

Originally posted by darklord
    but do people feel its a good or a bad thing for the hobby?
    Does that really matter? ??? The boundaries WILL be pushed no matter what. Anyone who is passionate about a hobby like this WILL improve his or her skills the longer they have been involved. As people get better and better ways to interact despite geographical distances, people\'s improvements will in many cases become quicker. This will happen whether others like it or not.

on no it doesn\'t matter, even if it did people could\'nt change it!! i just like to now what people think! The hobby is what it is and will continue to change as do most things, some will embrace it and others will stay as they were but as long as we take enjoyment from it then it is \'doing its job\' so to speak

Originally posted by vincenti
    Just checked out your Elf and the 3 is a rather cruel vote.(I give that score to people how get a mouthful of paint and spit it at the mini!) lol.
    Vincenti, thanks for the advice. I realize some of my mistakes in the elf now and will certainly ask people for more advice in the future before I finalize a mini.

(I hope people realize that in my initial post, I just pointed out about the elf as an example of the perplexing voting I seem to be getting, not \"to complain\" about that particular mini.)

Originally posted by darklord
    on no it doesn\'t matter, even if it did people could\'nt change it!! i just like to now what people think! The hobby is what it is and will continue to change as do most things, some will embrace it and others will stay as they were but as long as we take enjoyment from it then it is \'doing its job\' so to speak
    Personally, I think the type of hobby that constantly move forwards is much more inspiring and helpful to my own creativity. I remember back in the 90s when I painted minis rather actively. After a while I sort of lost the passion for it as I did not know many other painters and the only source of inspiration that was available to me was White Dwarf. I didn\'t have much input that would make me go further. I felt I only did the same thing over and over again.

Now, I feel flooded with inspiration and the only thing I lack is the time to do all the things I want to do.

So, to answer darklord\'s question... Yes! In my eyes it\'s good for the hobby that the boundaries are constantly pushed forward. It makes the hobby feel alive, and I feel more alive beeing involved in something that is in constant progression.

I\'ve noticed the same trend. A model I posted back in 2004 of a Orc Boar Chariot is ranking higher then my more recent stuff. Now the chariot is photoed in front of a white sheet. There are noticeable gaps where the boars heads connect and the reds and greens look horribly flat.

I can see my latest not being up there in rank as it\'s not based and I have seen people admit that they vote un based minis a 1 as they aren\'t finished yet, but compared to the beast man I submitted previous to that the chariot is a POS, yet the Chariot ranks higher. Now the Chariot wasn\'t posted when 5th edition was new, or hot or cool. It was just posted back when the score were generally a mark or two higher.

EDIT: wow you can tlel it\'s Fradiy; I can\'t splel wroth siht. Eitded for Selplnig.

@byteknigt:

So, it looks like \"Texas Bruce\" and \"Boris\" are recieving really low scores for the quality of paint. (Hopefully I helped that a little.)

As a new poster here on CMON I feel your pain. A couple of my first models I posted on the sight recieved really low scores and it bummed me out, but then I began to look for areas of improvement. Photography is a HUGE part of it. I\'m really having a hard time getting even medicore photos of my stuff right now.

As a word of caution regarding the WIP page, I recently posted there, and while the feedback was much better than simply posting a model for scoring, the feedback was by no means extensive. I updated the link a couple days ago and I haven\'t recieved any feedback at all. Anyway, the WIP forum is a much better way to go, but don\'t expect too much. I think I did.

Best of luck to you, Keep up the good work!
    :)

you get what you give in the wip section, the more visible and helpful you are to others the more response you get yourself. Even if you are looking at a higher standard wip i feel it helps to learn to see \'mistakes\' or areas for improvement and you can then apply a more analytical look at your own work.

Originally posted by pez5767
    @byteknigt:

So, it looks like \"Texas Bruce\" and \"Boris\" are recieving really low scores for the quality of paint. (Hopefully I helped that a little.)

As a new poster here on CMON I feel your pain. A couple of my first models I posted on the sight recieved really low scores and it bummed me out, but then I began to look for areas of improvement. Photography is a HUGE part of it. I\'m really having a hard time getting even medicore photos of my stuff right now.

As a word of caution regarding the WIP page, I recently posted there, and while the feedback was much better than simply posting a model for scoring, the feedback was by no means extensive. I updated the link a couple days ago and I haven\'t recieved any feedback at all. Anyway, the WIP forum is a much better way to go, but don\'t expect too much. I think I did.

Best of luck to you, Keep up the good work!
    :)

Pez,
    Thanks. Much appreciated. Slowly but surely, I\'ll get better at this hobby and take what advice I can get in the WIP section.

we all have to start at the bottom mate, but with this bunch of people helping you\'ll soon be flying up