How do YOU paint blood?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do YOU paint blood?

Default How do YOU paint blood?

I\'ve got a mean looking mini that seems like she should have a rather bloody weapon, but I have yet to develop a decent looking technique.
    So, how do YOU guys paint blood?

Default Blood....

Well, I use a pretty tried and true method of painting blood...

Start off with about a 50/50 mix of your favorite burgundy red (Citadel Red Gore is good) and a flesh was or watered down brown.
    Second, add some more of your chosen red to the mix, and paint it on top, of the other, leaving a little showing on the edges... (after the first coat has dried, naturally)
    Then, add a lighter red, and paint that layer on, again, leaving some of the last coat visible (this is blending here people...)
    After that\'s dry, wash it with either a gloss varnish for fresh blood (mmm fresh blood, lol, sorry), or, use a purple glaze.

Badaab

On my new Dagger of the Rat god goblin assassin I painted a NMM dagger, so it was mostly white. I just went back with some chestnut ink a couple times and it turned out great...

Tamiya Clear Red, that´s it...:idea:

Never been big on painting blood on the model.

Blog Entries

Default Blood

Sparingly, unless you want the blade to look like its been run through the individual a couple of times. Most of the figures I have seen with a blood on them look like they just got out of an abbatior where they were just shredding animals. Sure, if the figure has been in the middle of battle there will be some blood on it, but unless they have been wading in it, there would be considerably less blood on the figure than you would imagine.

I usually use red gore in fine streaks, expanding to about halfway across the blade. Then a highlight of blood red. Finally a thin coat of red ink to make the blood look real, and fresh.

i reckon a weapon looks best without any blood on it, but if you use a dark red, with a red gore highlight(thin it down) with a thin chestnut wash over the top should look ok, be careful though cos too much can ruin the entire look of a good model :)

jchokey

Default How do YOU paint blood?

Originally posted by madartiste
    I\'ve got a mean looking mini that seems like she should have a rather bloody weapon, but I have yet to develop a decent looking technique.
    So, how do YOU guys paint blood?
    I\'ve found that realistic looking blood is very tricky to do-- or at least to make it look good. For that reason, I rarely do it. However, on a few occasions, I\'ve had moderate success by using GW\'s Red Gore, then going over it with GW\'s red ink, and then using a glossy varnish overtop of that to get the \'wet\' effect. (I use matte varnish on the rest of the figure.) That generally looks OK in terms of making it look like blood.... it\'s actually a bit brighter than \'real\' blood would be, but I\'ve found that a more realistic darker color just doesn\'t look right... at least to my eyes.

The real problem for me, though, isn\'t so much getting a good-looking color or the wet-looking texture. It\'s getting the flow/drip/spash/splatter effects right. Any suggestions for doing that?

Blog Entries

Personally I mix up about a 50/50 Citadel Red Ink/Chestnut Ink mixture. Apply this in the thin splattery manner and hilight with streaks of Red Gore. You can be a bit more elaborate if you want, but this is simple and works pretty well.

Keith16363

i know i\'m new and my opinion probly means nothing but i personally just use blood red with a little bit of ruby red mixed in to darken it up

I use (for dried up blood) a mix of scab red and a dark brown, with some flesh wash over it to make it seem smoother.

The only miniature I have with blood caked onto it is my Eversor Assassin... (the one holding the victim\'s head) but as far as blood goes, it\'s best left used as an accent. If you paint a whole bunch of models with blood on their weapons, it looks silly and gaudy (See GW\'s new Chaos Warriors with the black armor).

Anyhoo... I\'m just rambling now, so I\'ll shut up..

Actually what you\'re saying is quite right and isn\'t rambling GW always has a tacky unnatural way of painting.:|~

Fresh blood is thick and dark and doesn\'t run very much.

I use red Gore thinned with Dark brown ink from the Citadel range and apply it flattly and then wet blend an almost monomolecular highlight line of dawrf Flesh on the raised surfaces.

Blood doesn\'t reflect much light and as such should be treated the same as a dark marble or a polished dark NMM surface.

As always, the real trick is in the application, not the

Wow. Thanks for all the advice. I have to agree that too much blood looks rather silly, but a slight bit here or there can actually add a nice touch of color. I\'ll have to give all these methods a try...

Speaking from experience I must disagree with Logansama.
    Blood is either oxygenated or not and that determines the strength of the colour. If you visit a butchers shop the blood will be dark red turning to a plum purple colour as it is not oxygenated any longer, fresh oxygenated blood is bright red. (Blood poisoned by CO2 is even brighter strangely enough-- First Aid Courses what can I tell you.)

As for it not running very far, I attended and helped at an accident where someone had received a head wound which bled profusely. And it ran the length of three pavement slabs!

But since we are discussing the effect of sharp weapons on a \'Human(oid)\' body there would be a lot of splattering caused by Ingress and Egress tissue rupture, this would be less evident on an edged weapon such as a sword, and more on the clothing /armour of the character. To my point of view in a fantasy setting, such as we depict, the blood depicted should be heavily thinned with inks or better yet used red inks on the blades.

Anyhow only the most crass of warriors would leave blood on a blade as this shows a contempt for the weapon on which their lives may /will depend. (Orcs would lick the blade clean anyway)

Hope it helps.

If you say so, but I\'ve seen enough snuff videos online to tell you that if you mutilate someone you get a viscous dark syrupy blood out of them rather than bright red stuff.

RED. Unless it\'s from an ork, in wich case I use green. :D

Blog Entries

If you say so, but I\'ve seen enough snuff videos online to tell you that if you mutilate someone you get a viscous dark syrupy blood out of them rather than bright red stuff

Having spent some time as a professional body snatcher working for a funeral home, as well as having spent 10 years scraping people off the highway as a volunteer fireman, I have seen a little blood in my day. Yes, I have seen thick, syrupy blood come from bodies, but that was usually ones that had been dead for several hours and had started to clot. Fresh blood is bright red, and venious blood is purplish.