Which way to paint when you blend?

Thread: Which way to paint when you blend?

Default Which way to paint when you blend?

I can\'t seem to find a good video on youtube or something that shows how to properly blend.

My question is, which way do you blend; with the Axis of the two side by side paint colours, or against?

In other words, is it:

Method A
    ==========

Lighter Colour
    -------------------- <---stroke with the axis

Darker Colour

or

Method B
    ========

Lighter Colour
    -------------------
    Darker Colour

/\\
    | stroke 90 degrees to the axis

It would seem that there isn\'t too much blending in Method A. Method B on the other hand has feathering possibilities.

Thanks in advance

Generally you stroke the brush perpendicular to the change of colour, something like your Method B. But this is just roughly; it varies with each person a bit but also depends on the surface of what you\'re working on - because we\'re painting 3D objects sometimes it works better at 30° or 45° than it does at a right angle. You might also deliberately mix stroke directions to help not build up a visible pattern; I think most people actually do this when you get down to it and in crosshatching you do this specifically.

Now that said, for smooth transitions I sometimes use something like your Method A, using the side of the brush and very thin paint.

Practice and practice more, it\'s the best way. Tips and guides sure help, but you can learn to paint completely solo.

Einion

Well, every have their own style of blending. There are actually 3 type of blending style.

1) Dark to light - very common
    2) Light to Dark - harder technique
    3) Mid, Dark, Light

You must know which type you are comfortable with.

For me, I normally use type 1 coz its easier for me.

Okay, thanks. I want to practice the correct way... so for most times, it should be Method B at different angles. Got it.

What a great site!

Originally posted by Byteknight
    I want to practice the correct way...
    The \"correct way\" is any way that gives you good results. So, if you should get the desired results in some other way than \"method B\" (which, for the record, is basically what I use too) then you should by no means feel you\'re doing things wrong.

And remember that there are so many ways of producing a smooth blend. \'Wetblending\' or simply \'blending\' as some might say is just one technique. And a technique that works better for some areas and worse for others.

Originally posted by Avelorn
    And remember that there are so many ways of producing a smooth blend. \'Wetblending\' or simply \'blending\' as some might say is just one technique. And a technique that works better for some areas and worse for others.
    Agreed... Practice make perfect. You just have to keep doing it and slowly you will discover it. Like I said, no everyone are the same.

And by the way, when you are painting area like clothes or space marine shoulder pad, make sure that you press the brush and pull it. Not a small thin stroke.