Droppod
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Droppod

Default Droppod

For a long time I\'ve been wanting one (actually a couple) of droppods in my growing SW army. It\'s such a delight delivering an assault squad right in the middle of the enemy\'s battle line.:twisted:

I found some old templates and though for a dread-droppod it\'ll do for a personelcarrier as well. Anyway I don\'t think it will be to difficult to modify for that in the next try, but for the first here I\'ll just stick with the templates. And I\'d like to drop my dread as well anyway ;).

The wings and bottom were cut in 5mm foamboard and I\'m planning to do the sides in 3mm FB rather than plastic or cardboard for the sake of stability. The top section is a bit too thick so I\'ll most likely change it into some kind of guide on the bottom, and then add a new top in plastic.
    Imkind of out of idears on what to use as an engine/rocket on top so any suggestions on that would come in handy.
    The next step is to add another layer og detail on the wings.

Airfix jet engine or something perhaps?

Yes I recon that could work - I\'ll see if I can find a cheap one somewhere. Maybe a Thunderbolt.

Secund layer on the wings is done. It\'s made in 0,4 mm plastic card, and the edges are made from 0,5 mm. I think I\'ll use 0,5 mm all over next time to give that extra little structure. Next step will a bit of pistons and decor on the wings, as I\'m missing the foamboard for the sides.

Finally made some progress on the pod, a bit surprised it is so big and not to happy with it at first I’m becoming used to it’s bulky (beetle of the doppods) shape. And things started to look better after I greenstuffed it to the max and added the first few details.
    The sides are made from 3mm foamboard.
    If you have any suggestions for tech/decor for the surface please let me know. I have planned some SW iconography, rivets, bolt and the like.

So this is where I am at the moment with a few “how to get there shots”

Looking great, is the door going to drop down?

Looking forward to it with a slap of paint!!!

The door is not going to open on this one as I wanted to keep things simple for my first go on the pod. Anyway as I understand it the doors on a drop pod doesn\'t open but are blown off few moments after touchdown. But I kind of plan to do a to-be-opened pod at some later piont anyhow.

So I have added the next couple of details, and I\'m starting to be pretty happy with the result.

Looks great!

The only thing I would have done differently is use brown stuff instead of green. It\'s sandable and you can make sharper corners.

How did you make your bolts/rivets?

Thanks mate.
    Never actually used brownstuff, but that\'s going to change - I did have some problems with the filing/sanding so that\'s some great advise.

The rivets are cut from 1mm plastic rod and the bolt are bought from a really cool webstore, UK based and labeled Scratch Builders Paradice - wich I believe it is :)

http://www.barrule.com/Workshop/products.html

I really like it mate - I\'m interested in particular how you made the hydraulics on the fins :)

Is the escape hatch a Tau drone? :)

Its an imperial tank hatch

Blog Entries

No, it surely isn\'t Imperial :D It looks more like a shield generator from the Crisis Suit frame than anything.

Hyrdaulics are easy to make with plastic tubing and rod that fits inside the tubes.

Actually, I think the hatch is the top hatch from the Devilfish.

Either way, the drop pod is comming along nicely.

Cheers
    RB

the hatch is from the side of a devilfish:yes:

he he - the hatch is Tau, but thats all I know since I got it from a friend, and have no nowledge on tau my self - but I\'ll see if he can tell us.
    The hydralics are made from drilled out 2mm rod with some 1mm rod inserted. The thingies where it\'s connected to the fuselage is an angel \"rod\"

Blog Entries

Well at least I knew it was Tau :D Haven\'t built any Devilfish or Hammerheads so I can plead ignorance on that one.

Moving on... nice drop pod lol

And here\'s the friend with the answer we\'ve all been answering for in the latest competition: It is the top hatch from a Devilfish/Hammerhead.
    Congratulations to QuietiManes who knows his Tau details. Todays award is a collective HOORAY! :D

About the Droppod: I really like it, especially the hydraulics on top and the small panel beneath the door. I think I may have to invest in some interesting shapes of plastic rod...

Keep it up.

You are missing the point. Its on an Imperial drop pod, thus it is an Imperial hatch:P

Originally posted by Thunderhawker
    You are missing the point. Its on an Imperial drop pod, thus it is an Imperial hatch:P
    :D:flip: