I have seen Prince Caspian, and it is good.

Thread: I have seen Prince Caspian, and it is good.

Default I have seen Prince Caspian, and it is good.

I\'ve just gotten home from seeing it, and it was perhaps the fastest 2.5 hours that have passed for me in the last five years.

I was very much impressed by all performances, despite occasionally having to resist the urge to yell \'This is SPARTA!\'.

I won\'t put any major spoilers to print, but I will say that the bear made everyone in the theatre laugh. You\'ll know which one I mean when it happens, I think.

Definitely a darker film than the first.

Love the title, most of the time here on CMON the titles are entirely misleading. Straight to the point! B-e-a-utiful! Well I will have to check this film out. Cheers!

That\'s interesting. The critics have panned it, but the people i know who have seen it liked it. I wonder if the \"professionals\" simply object to the religious source so much that they couldn\'t enjoy a film they would otherwise like.

Originally posted by evil tendencies
    That\'s interesting. The critics have panned it, but the people i know who have seen it liked it. I wonder if the \"professionals\" simply object to the religious source so much that they couldn\'t enjoy a film they would otherwise like.

My thoughts exactly. I personally cant wait to see the film, having read all the books a few years ago. I do wonder how they are going to do the last book though (if youve read it you will know what i\'m on about)

Alex

I\'d read the critics\' comments, and personally, didn\'t care what they thought. I\'d read the comments about \'Caspian is too old\', and thought that he did an excellent job. I thought him quite believable in the role.

I\'m no religious genius, though I have some knowledge of a lot of religions, but I really didn\'t find any \'in your face\' references that haven\'t been seen in other movies, before.

Anakin was \'born of a virgin mother\' in Phantom Menace, and that didn\'t seem to detract from millions of people going to see it. And if that wasn\'t a blatant \'saviour\' reference, I don\'t know what is.

Over here, the reviews I read were all quite strong.

I refuse to see this movie... the first was utter crap... I love the books, and figured it\'d be cool to see, but with poor CGI, LotR wannabe, and little punks with \"medieval times\" shields and swords it just ruined it... comeon, the way the blonde haired kid held the sword was like a spaz, and then the wolf suicided on his sword... at least learn to wield the stinkin thing!
    Sorry, I just have a negative reaction to... Naaaaaaaahhhniaaaaah!

It seems somewhat relevant to point out that at the point of the wolf \'suicide\', Peter hadn\'t yet learned to use the sword. It had only just been given to him. So, of course, he held it like a spaz.

He learned to use it after they\'d joined the gathered forces of Narnia.

The battles in this one are quite good.

Just got back from it and also thought it was nicely done. It is valid to point out the similarities to the LotR, but why does that make any difference? Tolkien and Lewis were contemporaries, and it makes sense that their writings about fantasy realms would have some commonalities. Sure the Narnia books were more kid friendly and more overtly religious, but they are still great stories, and fun to see them translated to film with well-done effects.

Go see it now!

Well, I would think a talking sinister wolf would have more intelligence than to jump on a sharp pointy object~ but that\'s just my opinion ;)

Originally posted by Elly3438
    Well, I would think a talking sinister wolf would have more intelligence than to jump on a sharp pointy object~ but that\'s just my opinion ;)
    Talking doesn\'t necessarily = very bright. Just look at most voters lol

Seem to recall the first one got mixed reviews at best but I enjoyed it. Looking forward to seeing this one as well.

Yes, I went with a group of people and we all enjoyed it, even with a couple of the group being known skeptics.

One of the previews was for the new Mummy movie, and Jet Li and Michelle Yeoh are both in it.

Must on both movies!

Blog Entries

Originally posted by evil tendencies
    I think you pegged it. If you compare this to the Golden Compass (in the US) the critics loved it, it bombed at the box office. The Narnia movies do well, but the critics hate them. The people who actually pay for the movies rarely like the same movies as the HW know-it-alls. That\'s why I never watch the academy awards. The always go to movies that are crap, or art pieces with no regard for box office draw. The other piece is that the media still doesn\'t get it, they will openly dismiss or ridicule anything with a Christian theme while the majority of the nation embraces it (I know this only applies to the US, I heard the Golden Compass did well in Europe).

As for Tolkien and Lewis being contemporaries: they were good friends, Tolkien brought Lewis back to the faith through their friendship (CS Lewis JRRT with this in his autobiography).

Hearing my girls squeal \"Reepicheep!\" when he first appeared was worth the price of admission.

Yeah, it is changed a fair bit from the book, and some of the attempts to add inter-character tension are a bit hackneyed, but the book is not exactly paced for cinema. I\'ve heard it described as \"a long walk with a fight at the end.\"

anti-christian reviewers? What a load of bollocks.

The books may be overtly religious but the movies are not. I can\'t say I saw much favourable press about the golden compass either.

donga666

Originally posted by Elly3438
    I love the books, and figured it\'d be cool to see, but with poor CGI, LotR wannabe,
    Two words...Weta Workshop, did ALL of LoTR and (ba)Narnia.

Read the books just after reading Lord of the Rings for the first time (11-12 ish). Missed out on the christianity fable bit, still thought they were shite.

Ive read LoTR 8 times since then, sadly my wife loves the ba\'Narnia books so we had to see the films... :(

I also loved The Golden Compass (Dark Materials) book and film.