Gas prices??
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gas prices??

Default Gas prices??

The price for gasoline has been shooting up at an astronomical rate of late here in the US. Squealing lilke stuck pig\'s here. I don\'t like the huge/rapid rise in prices but have been aware for a long time that we\'re paying a pittence compared to most other places. I try to keep that in mind when I feel like whining about it. The lopsided difference has been there decades so I\'m not trying to start a George Bush bash-o-rama. I\'m just curious if anyone has any knowlege in the finance and or commodities markets who can explain the descrepency. Have we here in the US been under charged or most everywhere else over charged or both?? Just curious..........

gas costs around 4.50 here... ithink
    i know diesel is about 5

Gas prices are rising rapidly here, partly (I think) because the government is considering putting a cap on the price.

What surprises me is that diesel is more expensive than regular gas for the first time that I can remember, ever. I could be wrong about that, though.

Rumour has it that it\'s going to continue rising until at least september.

We\'ve always paid more then the US for gas in Canada, thus the popularity of people driving across the boarder to fill up here (border town). The prices just keep getting higher and higher here as well, it\'s still cheaper to go Sateside though.

finally the US is paying a similar amount to the uk...we are spending about £4.85 per US gallon, though we pay in litres here. current exchange rates put that at about $9.59
    i can remember when diesel was 98.9p, now its £1.28 per litre. in the uk we just get taxed to hell on everything though.fortunately we have a fairly economical van, it does over 40 miles to the gallon though i miss our old Rover which did 60 to the gallon.
    i dont know why people still buy these big sports versions of landrovers which do about 9 to the gallon, the fuel prices must be phenominal.

its hitting heating oil too, we have an oil powered boiler in the house and last time we had the tank filled it was £560...nightmare.

weve got a diesel volkswagen that runs on biodiesel..... but the biodiesel costs more than the diesel!!!! it is more ecologically sound though....

the world has always subsidized the price of gas and most other commodities for the states in fear of losing out on their exports to the USA. In Canada , where gas is at an all time high; we are self sufficient in producing our gas and energy but do to NAFTA we are obliged to export 70% of our oil to the usa forcing us to buy what we require from other countries in particular the UK...its really quite the racket... i believe the criminal term is called profiteering. there is a not-so-secret war being waged around the globe right now if you had not noticed and that war is for the control of oil and all other resources it is nearly complete and you aint seen nothin\' yet...believe me.:beer:

Reading that last post really made me want to go play xbox and this:

http://www.frontlines.com/

Originally posted by Necroghast
    weve got a diesel volkswagen that runs on biodiesel..... but the biodiesel costs more than the diesel!!!! it is more ecologically sound though....
    the trouble with biodiesel is that it requires fieldspace....which is going to push the price of food up because of farmers using more land to grow crops for biodiesel. i think we are going to have to start looking for a different option altogether eventually.

it is nice being able to run a van on cooking oil though lol

Of course, you could say that the price difference is due to biodiesel incorporating \"externalities\" that regular gas does not. Externalities being the economist\'s term for things we don\'t pay for, that might pop us in the keister later on ;)
    Originally posted by mikesilk
    there is a not-so-secret war being waged around the globe right now if you had not noticed and that war is for the control of oil and all other resources it is nearly complete and you aint seen nothin\' yet...believe me.:beer:
    Just because that sounded like Alex Jones, doesn\'t mean it\'s not true...

Originally posted by Shawn R. L.
    The price for gasoline has been shooting up at an astronomical rate of late here in the US. Squealing lilke stuck pig\'s here. I don\'t like the huge/rapid rise in prices but have been aware for a long time that we\'re paying a pittence compared to most other places. I try to keep that in mind when I feel like whining about it. The lopsided difference has been there decades so I\'m not trying to start a George Bush bash-o-rama. I\'m just curious if anyone has any knowlege in the finance and or commodities markets who can explain the descrepency. Have we here in the US been under charged or most everywhere else over charged or both?? Just curious..........
    Hey Shawn, I work in the financial and commodities markets. I think to some degree it\'s a little of both. Right now there are places in England where the Pound to Dollar adjusted cost for gas is close to $8.30/gal. That said, the cost of living in the same places is much higher than it is generally here in the states.

We\'re seeing something rather unprecedented in commodities markets right now that I think will be great news in the end for us consumers, but maybe not so much for investors. What\'s happened is that the supply/demand and geopolitical problems have pretty much long since been priced into the market on crude. The big surges we are seeing are largely being driven by market speculators at this point who are exhibiting the same \"irrational exhuberance\" that characterized the Tech and Healthcare craze in the late nineties. Hedge funds are also contributing to a large degree because many of them have significant enough assets under management to actually effect a change in the market on their own, albeit moderate. The problem is that some of these hedge fund managers are getting together with each other at this point to essentially manipulate the markets with combined AUM, which is extremely unethical but unfortunately at this point, with the way they are doing it, not exactly illegal. The result is that Goldman can say that Oil is going to $200/barrel before it stops (which translates to gas at about $5.60/gal) and not look like complete loons.

That\'s the bad news for the consumer. The bad news for the investor is that it\'s starting to look more and more like a bubble. And bubbles pop.

The Fed has stopped lowering rates for now (at least they think they have) which means that the dollar will soon begin to gain value (rate is little more than the value of the dollar). I expect we\'ll see some rate increases by the end of the year (after the election) if not early in \'09. When that begins to happen in earnest and the dollar strengthens, particularly against the Euro, we\'re going to see some major downward pressure on the price of oil. More value in the dollar means it costs less of them to purchase international oil.

The moral of the story is: the cost of oil right now is not heavily supported by fundamentals. It is being supported by fad investing. It can\'t go on forever and when it comes down, it\'s likely to be fairly precipitous. But it may not be done heading up just yet. I don\'t think we\'ll ever fully catch up with the rest of the world and the fact is that we shouldn\'t. The cost of gas is largely dictated by transportation costs in delivery. The closer you are to the source, the cheaper the final product. Being in the USA, we ARE a major source to the world.

Originally posted by Queenoftheunifrogs
    the trouble with biodiesel is that it requires fieldspace....which is going to push the price of food up because of farmers using more land to grow crops for biodiesel. i think we are going to have to start looking for a different option altogether eventually.

it is nice being able to run a van on cooking oil though lol
    A friend of mine converted a Mercedes to run on veggie oil and pays about 40 cents per gallon!!

The other thing that I\'d read on the net was that speculators have been able to buy oil futures for $120/bbl, but on margin. Meaning they\'ve had to put up only about $8/bbl in real cash. Throw in increased demand from India and China (remember the cement shortage a year or so ago?), add in a dash of the dollar dropping in value, and it all sort of trickles together to get an increase.

Not the HUGE increase we\'ve seen, however. What was it, two months ago the headlines were that it hit $100/bbl?! It really smells like a bubble, and I think that gold and other commodities have bubbled as well. Probably a lot of investors shifting from mortgage backed securities to commodities trading. Just have to figure out what is going to bubble next when the commodities pop and I\'d be a rich man!

Keep in mind countries like the UK and other European countries add heavy taxes to their fuel prices to help pay for things like their National health care program. As we don\'t have one in the US,Yet! we don\'t see those large Taxes. Now if we elect Obama/Clinton and they get their way I foresee $8-9.00 a gallon gas prices in our future to pay for National health care.

The bio fuels like bio diesel or worse yet ethanol are one of the largest con on the American public going right now.. both require more energy to make than they produce, both are heavily subsidized by the US government and BOTH are responsible for the steep increases we are now seeing in the price of our food. Its one thing to convert a diesel engine to run on dirty French fry oil, its another for our turning food crops into it.

Castro may be a nut, but he was right in saying a nation should not turn its food into fuel.

Default actually...

Jeff...my director at work..MAKES his own bio fuel by taking the left over grease from restaurants in his town he lives in..mixing with some stuff he buys..and he does something in a tub in a shed he has. He has calculated to the total cost, energy, etc..and it comes out to about 45 to 50 cents/litre..so how is it more expensive?

it\'s less than half the cost.

Mind you, gov;ts just need to force car companies to make all hybrids or elec cars.

Initially, there will be HUGE economic impact, but a balance is always reached. In anything. Just past the initial hardships of course. Overall..it would be better.

Sanjay

Originally posted by StarFyre
    Jeff...my director at work..MAKES his own bio fuel by taking the left over grease from restaurants in his town he lives in..mixing with some stuff he buys..and he does something in a tub in a shed he has. He has calculated to the total cost, energy, etc..and it comes out to about 45 to 50 cents/litre..so how is it more expensive?

it\'s less than half the cost.

Mind you, gov;ts just need to force car companies to make all hybrids or elec cars.

Initially, there will be HUGE economic impact, but a balance is always reached. In anything. Just past the initial hardships of course. Overall..it would be better.

Sanjay
    I think the difference there is that the oil/fat has already been used for its intended purpose, i.e., food, whereas the biofuel you buy at the petrol station has been grown specifically for fuel use, and hasn\'t been used for anything else first. Your director is doing some canny recycling of something that\'s already been used, but I doubt that there are enough restaurants producing used oil for everyone to do it. Although, perhaps if more people ate chips, maybe there would be!

I want them to make hydrogen or fuel cell cars to work personally. Gas/electric hybrid cars are a good idea, but where is the electricity coming from? If it\'s sustainable, great, but most likely it\'s from coal-, oil- or gas-powered stations, and won\'t help the global warming situation at all, although it would make your fuel bill cheaper in the short term.

I suspect that there will have to be a major crisis or a complete lack of oil to make most countries seriously invest in alternate power sources instead of frantic jockeying to control existing oil supplies. And the funny thing is, the country that starts doing that now, properly, would win because they\'d be sitting there smugly as the rest of the oil-starved world beat a path to their door to ask how they did it and pay them good money for the priviledge of learning the secrets.

diesel has always been more expensive, as far as i remember. here what the uk\'s prices are doing:

the major oil suppliers are also decreasing the amount they produce to increase demand and profit.
    just like the how diamonds are kept off the market to keep the pecieved value high.

with countries stock piling food as well to inflate prices we are going to see economies going tits up.

Sod oil. Strong white bread flour has went up by 20p a pack.

Diesel here in the UK used to be about 5 pence more expensive than unleaded but now it is more like 10 pence more than a litre of unleaded :( It used to be said that driving a diesel car you could recoupe the extra initial cost within a few years but now it has gone the other way.

Every week I top up and it seems that the price increases by about 1 pence a week :(