Do Khorne models HAVE to be painted red?

Thread: Do Khorne models HAVE to be painted red?

Default Do Khorne models HAVE to be painted red?

I just picked up some new fleshhounds of Khorne, and would like to paint them in colors other than red. I was told that this would not fit within the Warhammer world. Is that true? I know that Khorne is traditionally painted all red, but can I paint them purple with some red instead? Thanks.

you can paint them any colour you like mate!!! The traditional colours are what the studio choose to fit in with the army books but you can paint them metallic silver if you really want to!!! Even GW themselves will tell you that you can do what you like and in fact its much better to be different than to be the same as every other red khorne army out there! I mean if you\'re at a game with another khorne army how would you tell the difference?!

sg2009

i agree paint them what ever colour you want !!! make them unique!

Traditional colours for Khorne are red black and brass but most people tend to focuss more on the red for obvious reasons. How about doing them predominantly black, highlighted with a touch of purple and then red for the neck frills?

Totally agree with all the comments. Traditional colours for chaos are (according to Slaves to Darkness):
    Khorne - red, black and brass in strong bold patterns
    Slaanesh - pastels in patterns that sooth the eye and beguile the mind (GWs words...not mine)
    Nurgle - Greens, browns and other colours that represent decay
    Tzeentch - Tzeentch favours no colour or particular pattern.

I would love to see fleshhounds or a khorne army for that matter, painted up in a different colour than red, black or brass.

I should also mention that I\'m painting these strictly for competition, so I want to make sure the different color scheme would still be acceptable even for golden demon.

I definitely want to go with a dark color scheme, so black-ish will work, with mid-tones in the purple range and highlighted to blue. Some red will probably be used to tie into the Khorne colors, but probably for a stripe pattern along the spine/nose.

Blog Entries

IT HAS TO BE RED!

Has to be, No Question.

Not really, do as you wish. ;)

A mate of mine had a blue khorne army some years ago, was pretty sweet tbh.

what competition is it?if its golden deamon then i wouldn\'t go too extremist in the colour change maybe just as the others have mentioned change the dominant of red

It definately doesn\'t have to be red, but if entering GW competitions they do send to favour minis that match the fluff, and as noted above, Black, Red and Brass are the way to go.

paint them however you want, if everyone painted things how gw said it would get rather boring, and until i see a real flesh hound with my own eyes i wont believe they only come in red, might be albino ones about

Good question! I had the same one about a year back when I made a Khorne army. I wanted it to be different so I made them a sickly, oily black color on their armor and trimmed it with a corroded red. It looked pretty cool.

say its blue for horseshoe crab blood :D

Originally posted by darklord
    paint them however you want, if everyone painted things how gw said it would get rather boring, and until i see a real flesh hound with my own eyes i wont believe they only come in red, might be albino ones about
    Albino fleshounds...lol Now that would be something different!

I like the new fleshound models myself and infact thought the very same about the red thing. Kinda restricting i thought. I would probably go for an Orange & Black scheme myself

The army books have plenty of different schemes for the bloodletters dotted about..
    The key I think is background or personal preference...

background for khorne talks of blood fire , brass and bone....... daemons are the raw manifestations of the source of the gods power therefore it\'s the logical route that the background colour of their particular part of the chaos realms is carried into these servants.

this therefore becomes the key to fitting in with GW\'s imagery of Khorne in general ..That said it is all mae believe and at the end of the day it is up to you how you paint your own armies..

I personally like the red black and brass approach but have seen others done in some crazy colour combos and still look great but I think a lot of the time it is pretty nailed in peoples heads what the colours are so a different colour although may be technically very cool it just doesn\'t sell the particular power to a lot of people...

I would like to see the fire element played up in a khorne army.. everything looking like Lava, black crusted skin with bright fiery innards ... still sticking with the traditional thoughts but just playing a different element of it....

I\'ve been scanning through a lot of GD stuff a lately seeking some inspiration and one thing I have noticed is that within the Golden Demons it is pretty much essential that the traditional colours are at least referred to..

I cannot think of any right now off the top of my head that have placed with alternative colour schemes.. would love it if anyone can think of or even better provide picsof examples to disprove this but as I say none immediately spring to mind......

whatever yo decide to do just make sure you enjoy paintig them and how they look.. If points in GD are important or any other GW related comp then unfortunately some compromise will have to be made..GD\'s are more design competitions within the elements of GW\'s IP than they are Straight painting competitions... good luck..

i remember reading somewhere that the main reason khorne units are red is due to all the dried blood on there armour, not because there armour is painted red.

I\'m currently painting a Khorne Lord on a juggernaut and i painted the Juggernaut blac-red-ish. And i\'m thinking of painting the rider either black or bronze. just to make him stick out from the mount.

paint them whatever.you could paint them hot pink or leave them basecaoted black.suggestions are nice but whatever you choose is what they should be.I do agree with the dark colors like black accented with a little bit of red.would be really eye catching

Message original : demonherald
    I\'ve been scanning through a lot of GD stuff a lately seeking some inspiration and one thing I have noticed is that within the Golden Demons it is pretty much essential that the traditional colours are at least referred to..

I cannot think of any right now off the top of my head that have placed with alternative colour schemes.. would love it if anyone can think of or even better provide picsof examples to disprove this but as I say none immediately spring to mind......
    For the sake of fully accomplishing this threadomancy :

Benoît Ménard Golden Demon France 1997 a blue Nurgle Greater Demon:

http://demonwinner.free.fr/france/1997/F%201997%20monster%201%20Benoit%20Menard.jpg

Julien Casses\' doing his LotR minis pink :

http://demonwinner.free.fr/uk/2007/lotr_single_1.jpg
    http://demonwinner.free.fr/france/2007/7-1.jpg
    http://demonwinner.free.fr/france/2008/ftmeowyn.jpg

Thomas David\'s monochomatic Emperor\'s Champion got bronze in 2005 (France) :

http://demonwinner.free.fr/france/2005/f05-paintmaster-3.jpg

And Damien Gaunt got bronze in 1998 (France) with a local blender brand written on his piece:

http://demonwinner.free.fr/france/1998/F%201998%20%20vehicle%203%20Damien%20Gaunt.jpg

And before anybody says that they\'re all french painters and that the french judges allow more \"artistic liberty\", I only listed them because they were the first to come off the top of my head and have a few american winners in mind that had some pretty original paint schemes (thinking of a space marine squad, and an eldar titan puppeteering a mini wraithlord in some pretty funky colors; but those were in the \'90s), but couldn\'t find decent pics.

French are the best painters, best sculptors and apparently the best judges for allowing this \"artistic liberty\".

Paint them what ever colour u like it s ur army so use a colour scheme u like, the red is just gw making them fit into the story line of the books etc. And rember it s about having fun so a little story line of ur own to match. i.e this army is newly formed in the chaos wastes and has not killed enough to get enough blood to cover the armour lol