BP\'s Strange Question of the Week.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BP\'s Strange Question of the Week.

Default BP\'s Strange Question of the Week.

Why does \'post-apocalyptic\' in films, comics, and the like always seem to mean that many people get mohawks, start wearing make-up, and wear a veritable collage of sports gear and leather, instead of sensible clothes and left over flak jackets?

Leather doesn\'t chafe?

technically more people could learn how to make leather then flak jackets i suppose, its from a more primitive culture

Originally posted by BarstoolProphet
    Why does \'post-apocalyptic\' in films, comics, and the like always seem to mean that many people get mohawks, start wearing make-up, and wear a veritable collage of sports gear and leather, instead of sensible clothes and left over flak jackets?
    Because they take after the Sex Pistols? ;)

cause most of those movies were done in the 70\'s-80s when punk-glam rock was big.. was also on a cheap budget so most costuming came from thrift stores..

Because this:

doesn\'t make for very glamorous art design? In reality a post-apocalyptic society would rapidly degrade to neolithic technology levels - especially without any expertise in cloth weaving, subsistence agriculture etc.

(I thought the \"real world\" portions of \"The Matrix\" were a good estimate of post-apocalyptic costume - but they looked like beggars.)

Blog Entries

You stay in good shape fighting off rad scorpions and whatnot, so leather pants are a great way to show off your tight little package.

In a post apocalyptic world, someone with a knowledge of farming and a bunch of guns would soon be king.

Originally posted by Shawn R. L.
    In a post apocalyptic world, someone with a knowledge of farming and a bunch of guns would soon be king.
    Sorry, just think about it.
    The man who was able to make the ammunition would hold all the ACES.

Originally posted by Dragonsreach
    Not after he\'d sold the first one to the man with the gun.

Surely the answer to this is that we all secretly want to dress like that anyway and we\'re just waiting for society to collapse enough to make it socially acceptable to do so. If it takes and apoclyptic war for me to be allowed to get a mowhawk then it\'s a small price to pay :yes:

\'Cause now it\'s a cultural icon (?) type thing - we\'re accustomed to seeing it. And it can still look good.

As far as leather clothing goes, in a post-apocalyptic world it\'s a very sensible choice as the raw material is easily come by, it can be processed fairly easily (takes time but you\'ve got that in ready supply) and is comfortable, versatile and hard-wearing. If you don\'t have a fixed base it also has the advantage over cloth of not requiring a loom, which is cumbersome to carry around and maintain; leather goods also don\'t require anything like the same skill to make and ultimately win a cost/benefit analysis.

Originally posted by Dragonsreach
    The longbow users would eventually win the day :)

Einion

I just had a post-apocalypic vision of chav-riddled Britain and it scared the shit out of me :o

I also had a post-apocalyptic vision of Liverpool, and it made me laugh - shell suits and perms! lol

Originally posted by supervike
    Leather doesn\'t chafe?
    Is that from experience lollollol:D

That and lets face it. In our minds we are all the leader who survives. No one ever sees themselves as the boring office worker/ computer geek who died in the initial few weeks due to a lack of non-real world experience in survival. I\'m a survival teacher so I live, beg me now and I may save you with me. HAHAHAHAHA :twisted:

I can answer the mohawk one. Shaving all your hair off would solve several personal hygene problems as 2 in 1 shampoo and conditioner has become a valuable source of ammunition (see the film evolution). However, the restriction on movement caused by huge leather shoulderpads rivetted to your stylish leather stormcoat would prevent you getting your arms up high enough to reach the middle of your head with the razor.

Simple.

Mohawk and Face Paint - clan markings. We would obviously degrade into a clan based society with varrious desparate groups gathering together and battling other desparate groups for limited resources. We would need to know who is who, so we don\'t shoot the \'good guys\'.

Sports Equipment - what is sports equiment now if not modern day armour. I wouldn\'t know where to find a flack jacket nearbuy, but I sure know where to find some football pads.

Sensible Clothes - most sensible clothes isn\'t really that sensible. I work in a warehouse and am forced to wear buisness casual clothes. I\'ve yet to find a pare of sensible pants that will last more then a month in this environment, I highly doubt my Dockers would last two days of post apocalypic warfare. Leather is one of the most durable items to use for clothes. Plus you know we will all be riding around on souped up bikes, trikes and buggies and leather just goes with that look, since you don\'t want to slide across concrete in cargo pants.

It\'s because all the governments around the world are stock piling Leather and Bics for just an occasion.

There are vast tombs of leather ass-less trousers, and spiked wrist bands just waiting.

Blog Entries

Originally posted by Gilvan Blight

Sensible Clothes - most sensible clothes isn\'t really that sensible. I work in a warehouse and am forced to wear buisness casual clothes. I\'ve yet to find a pare of sensible pants that will last more then a month in this environment, I highly doubt my Dockers would last two days of post apocalypic warfare. Leather is one of the most durable items to use for clothes. Plus you know we will all be riding around on souped up bikes, trikes and buggies and leather just goes with that look, since you don\'t want to slide across concrete in cargo pants.
    As an aside - quit buying Levi\'s and start buying Dickies - the business casual look which wears like denim.

And I dont know about you lot, but I\'m not roaming around the desert dressed like the Humongus - sand chafes like a mother.

Denim till the Blue Jeans run out, then leather for this boy.

Oh, and I know how to make both guns and gunpowder - Join the Steelcult for Post-Apoclyptic King movement and learn more!!!lol

Originally posted by reverend
    I also had a post-apocalyptic vision of Liverpool, and it made me laugh - shell suits and perms! lol
    Daily experience for me.:D

Question: What\'s the difference between a Pre-Apocalyptic and a Post-Apocalyptic Birkenhead?
    Answer: The Post-Apocalyptic one will be a vast improvement.

Originally posted by War Griffon
    Originally posted by supervike
    Leather doesn\'t chafe?
    Is that from experience lollollol:D
    Methinks I\'ve said too much already!