GD Chicago - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: GD Chicago

Congrats on all the winners - looking forward to seeing all pictures of the winning entries.

That\'s a hint guys - post more pics asap, will ya? :D

Congrats to the winners, lookin good.

Yeah, it was a pretty terrific bunch of entries. Chris Borer\'s Duel was something else. There were a lot of very soft, subtle paint jobs this year, of which 40k single gold was an excellent example.

It was nice to meet many of you for the first time!

Yes I finally finished an entry... There were some really great entries this year. I am suprised that is did so well. It was great to see everyone there. Sorry I did not get around to take any pics...ran out of time.

A wonderful event as always! I would like to take the time to thank TNA for there warm welcome once again! You can see pics of my three entries on my website (also including the Ogryn Renegade Unit from Toronto which I finally photographed) or here:

http://www.coolminiornot.com/196807
    http://www.coolminiornot.com/196808
    http://www.coolminiornot.com/196809
    http://www.coolminiornot.com/196811

Renegade Ogryns that were in display at Chicago!

http://www.coolminiornot.com/196812
    http://www.coolminiornot.com/196814

Hey folks!

Man, it was a TOUGH competition this year in Chi-town! There weren\'t as many total entries as I\'ve seen in previous years, but what *was* there was awesome!!

It was great to meet a bunch of painters from here, namely Jeff L. and the Wappels. Cathy and Jim, I just gotta say again how much I really loved your entries!! Congrats on your Demons!

You, too, Jeff! I have heard how tough the muted styles of painting can be, but you pull it off SO smoothly and SO well! Every trophy you got was richly deserved. Yeah...it\'s a good thing I didn\'t bring my Giant to Chicago. Wow... It would have looked so pathetic compared to all the other entries that were there...

Jeff Wilhelm had a FANTASTIC piece with some Source Lighting effects on it. And apparently was his first time giving it a shot! Man, it looked like he had been painting Source Lighting effects for years... Great stuff!

I had never met Vincent Hudon before, but he was really nice! And, of course, and incredible painter! I think he\'s on here, right? Great to meet you, Vincent!

From a photographer\'s point of view, I was just stunned. SO many GORGEOUS models came across my lighting, and I felt really privileged to photograph them all. I hope we get to see just as many, if not more, in LA!!

--Dirty.

Oh, yeah...Hey Jess!! I have your pin, sweetheart! PM me your address so I can stalk you--er-- I mean, mail it to you! ;)

Just 1st cuts for me, but as a member of TNA, it was very cool to have all of you guys from Montreal there with us. And filling up the display with various pieces of very cool work was very cool. I know I met most of you, I think, probably forgot most of your names already, I do remember sitting at the table next to Vincent while doing a little bit of conversion work on some Bloodletters, and next Mathieu for awhile also. I think the tables, displays, and hobby seminars were very cool thing do, thanks to John from GW for that. I enjoyed it. I should have introduced myself to you, Cathy, while I was talking to James. Always next year, or Adepticon. It was nice talking to all of you and just getting time to hang out with everyone there that share similar interests in the hobby was good, as well as hopefully helping out some the people that want to get more into the hobby. Congrats to all the winners. Good show guys and gals.

Shawn

Originally posted by monkeyboy30672
    Hey folks!

Man, it was a TOUGH competition this year in Chi-town! There weren\'t as many total entries as I\'ve seen in previous years, but what *was* there was awesome!!

It was great to meet a bunch of painters from here, namely Jeff L. and the Wappels. Cathy and Jim, I just gotta say again how much I really loved your entries!! Congrats on your Demons!

You, too, Jeff! I have heard how tough the muted styles of painting can be, but you pull it off SO smoothly and SO well! Every trophy you got was richly deserved. Yeah...it\'s a good thing I didn\'t bring my Giant to Chicago. Wow... It would have looked so pathetic compared to all the other entries that were there...

Jeff Wilhelm had a FANTASTIC piece with some Source Lighting effects on it. And apparently was his first time giving it a shot! Man, it looked like he had been painting Source Lighting effects for years... Great stuff!

I had never met Vincent Hudon before, but he was really nice! And, of course, and incredible painter! I think he\'s on here, right? Great to meet you, Vincent!

From a photographer\'s point of view, I was just stunned. SO many GORGEOUS models came across my lighting, and I felt really privileged to photograph them all. I hope we get to see just as many, if not more, in LA!!

--Dirty.

Oh, yeah...Hey Jess!! I have your pin, sweetheart! PM me your address so I can stalk you--er-- I mean, mail it to you! ;)
    Dear Dirty Steve...I met a GW-staffer a-hole at GD Chicago, and he was very rude to me, and insulted my painting skills...I hate him like poison.

I had a blast at GD-Chi...I even brought back half a Giordano\'s pizza. After 17 hours on the back seat, there were no nurglings on it, so I ate it for breakfast this morning. I\'ve had the strength of 10 oxen all day.

Originally posted by LunchBox

Dear Dirty Steve...I met a GW-staffer a-hole at GD Chicago, and he was very rude to me, and insulted my painting skills...I hate him like poison.

I had a blast at GD-Chi...I even brought back half a Giordano\'s pizza. After 17 hours on the back seat, there were no nurglings on it, so I ate it for breakfast this morning. I\'ve had the strength of 10 oxen all day.
    Dear LunchBox,

I met a tremendous tool of a Golden Demon painter this weekend, and he wouldn\'t stop touching me. I feel so violated.

lol

Really? Was the pizza still good? I dunno, man... I don\'t think I would have been as brave to give that thing a second chance. I\'m kinda surprised it didn\'t get up and start driving for you...

--Dirty.

Hey Dirty! I had brieftly come in contact with you I believe it was Baltimore 2004, but you were such a bigshot and me a nobody, probably why you don\'t remember...lol kidding of course

Hey Elly3438! Great meeting ya, I wish you would have told me that the Eldar squad that won gold was yours right off the bat before I start giving you all sorts of basic painting hints you probably diodn\'t need! Congrats again on your win. Let it also be know that you are a personal hero of my wife right now for so graciously donating 2 Deafkoptas form the Black reach sprues that you won, Jaime has been hard at work filing and assembling them and cannot wait to get them on the table to whoop my arse with. ...Now that I think of it, thanks alot for helping my wife kick my arse! :mad:lol I hope that I do indeed make it back to Chicago next year to see how you\'Ve progressed. If you stop by GD Toronto, give me a heads up!

Congrats to the winners, and to the gorgeous pieces that may not have gottenthe trophy they deserved, remember that the model you entered with in the morning is just as kickarse cool at the end of the day when you come out of it, trophy or not!

Vincent

has gw put up the pics yet of the weiners.......er i mean winners.... ;) hehehe.

i have just found the new american GW website impossible to navigate.

hope to see you guys there next year.

Thanks

uber

Pics are up!

Who\'s that goob who won the bronze in 40k large monster?! lol:cool:

EDIT: I so do not understand how the \"Community and Events\" link on their page works. It disappears and reappears at whimsical intervals.

I think there\'s got to be something wrong with the page... shockingly hard to find the pictures. As noted the community & event clickable link appears after some random clicking. Nice pictures though.. it just feels like they can\'t present them properly. One front and only one close-up! I demand more!

EDIT: just got to the squad pics? Why even put them up? Where\'s the enlarge button? Can\'t see anything of the squad except the featured single...

Here\'s a direct link... maybe that will help. And yeah, the tiny squad pics started with Baltimore and they are horrid.
    http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/content/article.jsp?community=&catId=&categoryId=&pIndex=0 &aId=9500010&start=1

Youngblood level is amazing. I saw couple of days ago very decent mini that only got HM in this category and now I see why.

Originally posted by Avelorn
    I think there\'s got to be something wrong with the page... shockingly hard to find the pictures. As noted the community & event clickable link appears after some random clicking. Nice pictures though.. it just feels like they can\'t present them properly. One front and only one close-up! I demand more!

EDIT: just got to the squad pics? Why even put them up? Where\'s the enlarge button? Can\'t see anything of the squad except the featured single...
    That *is* really strange. I know I shot 3 close-ups for the Gold winner in both Warhammer Regiment and 40K Squad, and I know the full regiment/squad shots are a lot bigger. I don\'t know why they didn\'t make the photos of the entire squads enlargeable. With time constraints on photography, I always take a full squad shot of each winner and then 3 details of the Gold winner and just 1 detail each of Silver and Bronze. But, then again, they usually make the full squad shot larger. That\'s really unfortunate.

A lot of the squad/regiment entries have a continuity that raises the work to another level when you see the squad as a whole. Like Angela\'s Daemonettes. The colors are even more amazing when you see the entire squad together.

--Dirty.

Default Photos

I have it on good authority that the pop up image system on the new GW site is broken which is why they couldn\'t do any enlargements.

That *is* really strange. I know I shot 3 close-ups for the Gold winner in both Warhammer Regiment and 40K Squad, and I know the full regiment/squad shots are a lot bigger. I don\'t know why they didn\'t make the photos of the entire squads enlargeable. With time constraints on photography, I always take a full squad shot of each winner and then 3 details of the Gold winner and just 1 detail each of Silver and Bronze. But, then again, they usually make the full squad shot larger. That\'s really unfortunate.

A lot of the squad/regiment entries have a continuity that raises the work to another level when you see the squad as a whole. Like Angela\'s Daemonettes. The colors are even more amazing when you see the entire squad together.

--Dirty.
    Dear Dirty,

Whatever happened to GW\'s Golden Demon Index? It was a nice place to go to browse all the competitions past in one spot...I wish they\'d bring it back...

---Box---

Originally posted by LunchBox

--Dirty.
    Dear Dirty,

Whatever happened to GW\'s Golden Demon Index? It was a nice place to go to browse all the competitions past in one spot...I wish they\'d bring it back...

---Box---

PS: The WFB Regiment Gold winner was dreamy...not just the minis...
    :drunk:

Silphid, hey, I learned a ton from you, thanks for sharing your techniques... I am always looking to improve and learn! (and trust me, I learned A LOT :cool: ) and I am glad you are enjoying the Deffkoptas! I plan to paint mine sometime in the near future, they look like fun~ Hope to see you and your wife next year or perhaps maybe also at GD Toronto... around when is that again? and congratz on the demon! (oh and also your titan was pretty sick! My wife and I enjoyed looking at it immensely)

LunchBox - Great job this year man, I noticed a huge improvement in your skills since last year, at this rate, its exciting to think about what you will bring for next year!! :beer:

and yes I agree, I wish the GD index still existed on GW\'s site, but I dont think it does anymore ><