What do you use to hold your minis? - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What do you use to hold your minis?

I have been cutting a slit into a wine cork and sliding the band between the mini's feet into the slit. If you use a champagne cork the base is wider and will stand upon its own.

You have been awarded: Threadomancy, Level 1

(This thead is from 2008 elmnash )

Einion

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Einion View Post
    You have been awarded: Threadomancy, Level 1

(This thead is from 2008 elmnash )

Einion
    Resurrecting something that has been dead 5 years requires great skill. I would say he has attained at least level 2 in the Threadomancy arts!

Check out more of my wife's photography at: http://thereasagwinn.com

Why choose Space Wolves over other chapters?
    ‘They are desperate, and as savage as beasts.’
    Magnus lost his smile.
    ‘I no longer think of them as animals, Ahmuz, though I once did. I now think of them as the purest of us all. Incorruptible. Single-minded. The perfection of my father’s vision.’
    Excerpt from Battle of the Fang

I guess this super-newbie isn't doing a great job of hiding her super-newbie status! I have to say though, I am pretty excited to have won what is clearly a very prestigious award less than 24 hours into being a member of CMON.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by elmnash View Post
    I guess this super-newbie isn't doing a great job of hiding her super-newbie status! I have to say though, I am pretty excited to have won what is clearly a very prestigious award less than 24 hours into being a member of CMON.

No worries! Welcome to the forum!

Check out more of my wife's photography at: http://thereasagwinn.com

Why choose Space Wolves over other chapters?
    ‘They are desperate, and as savage as beasts.’
    Magnus lost his smile.
    ‘I no longer think of them as animals, Ahmuz, though I once did. I now think of them as the purest of us all. Incorruptible. Single-minded. The perfection of my father’s vision.’
    Excerpt from Battle of the Fang

Drilling a hole in the feet is a preferred option for those that decide not to go with the normal basing. If you keep the plastic between the legs I'd advise blue tack + any cylindrical container small enough to hold the mini in it's original base.

But I still advise drilling into the separate pieces which gives you a better leniency in handling the different parts, with either tooth pics + blue tack or paperclip wire + glue.

Even though necro it's still a good thread :3

Pin vice, empty paint bottles and sometimes separate base for painting the mini. I also use disposable rubber clove in my left hand, so that I don't have to touch the mini with my bare hand/fingers. Just make sure those are powder free cloves before using

edit: Oh...this is rather old topic...ummm...I didn't notice that. Well, hopefully new members are reading some good ideas.

Take your super rare oop Rackham mini virtually unobtainable now.

Get your way to large pliers and rocking back and forth yank the tab off trying not to rip the feet off at the same time if it happens well that's what super glue is for.

Get your dull 4mm wide hand drill and manically drill in to the base of one of his feet leaving a large crater.

Block of wood nail hammer bang snip of the head of the nail with large pliers blob of superglue force nail in to far to small hole.

Ta da!! All done Andy style.
    Victis hostibus tuis tibi rapitur videre et audire fletum mulierum. (or as near as google can do it!)
    Here be my ranking=
    Here be my gallery http://www.coolminiornot.com/artist/AndyG

Pin the mini to a big ol' piece of cork.

I always hold mine by the mini ... bad habbit that I must STOP!!

Newbie, please be gentle twodiced's Avatar
    The 13th level of hades inferno aka texas

Just thought I would show how I hold my minis. This is the second version. The first version was made with a scrap 2x4. It was rather difficult to hold. This block is more ergonomic.

Hi, I tend to hold my models by a large lump of blutack stuck to the base, for large monsters and things I try to hold them gently with their limbs between my fingers, so I can get my hands as close together as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by twodiced View Post
    This is the second version. The first version was made with a scrap 2x4. It was rather difficult to hold. This block is more ergonomic.
    Wouldn't round or octagonal be even more ergonomic?

Einion

Newbie, please be gentle twodiced's Avatar
    The 13th level of hades inferno aka texas

Quote Originally Posted by Einion View Post
    Wouldn't round or octagonal be even more ergonomic?

Einion

It would be. But I used what I had laying around. The third incarnation will be made with a cylinder. I still have not decided on PVC or wood.
    On The Bench
    Reaper Knight, Demonette. 40k Dark Eldar, CSM, S.M.,

2013 A 2, S 15, C 0

I just do it the old fashioned way. I hold it with my bare hands!

Though, I put the model on it's base first.

that block seems rather hard to use. i like to have my hands rather close together for stability. usually use an old paint bottle for smaller minis, but will try to get a hand of something bigger=)

I'm glad to see this old thread resurrected.

I paint wearing vinyl gloves, so no skin oils problem. I've tried using Blue-Tac on little jars. It holds just fine for the human-sized figures, but I hate scraping little sticky blue bits off when I remove them.

I figure on trying something like a clamp set up. There a a lot of good suggestions in this thread.

old paint pot with tack on it to hold the mini