When I was a child I thought as a child......
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When I was a child I thought as a child......

Default When I was a child I thought as a child......

When you were little, what did you believe that later turned out to be WAY off, absurd or just plain wrong. Santa and the Easter Bunny don\'t count. Too easy.

Me?? When I was about 5 my dad designed and built a home for us. At a certain stage a 4x4 pole was put up in the driveway as a temporary pole for a power line to get to the house. My older brother stood with me in the driveway ( I can still see the scene clearly) and told me that the pole was the sound barrier!! I stood there kind of in awe. So THAT\'s what the sound barrier looks like!!lollol

A few years later me and my family were coming home at night in the car and someone exclaimed \"there\'s the big dipper\" and at that instant a huge moth flew into the cars headligts. For many years I thought the big dipper was a moth.

My mom told me that earthquakes were caused by two mountains getting into an argument. I believed her longer than was really helpful for my social development at school. :)

I was about four, and my mom was driving us somewhere. I forget where. But on the drive, I saw a newspaper blowing through the air, way up high, and it landed on a balcony. I became convinced that that\'s what they meant by \'air mail\'.

Whenever I used to play those Gameboy games where all the enmies were played by the \'computer\', I thought that the computer was somebody way far away and it was thier job to play games in my Gameboy.

Man did they suck. lol

HAAAA!! Love-em!! Those are great!lol

Hmmm... I don\'t have anything really misunderstood from a child, but I do have one that I just didn\'t notice.

The Beatles.

I only realized the joke when I was in my late twenties. Don\'t recall exactly when I finally saw that it was a play on the spelling using a musical term. So I guess that counts somewhat.

Fun thread! Good one Shawn.

One morning my dad was cooking pancakes. I must have been about 5 or 6. He spilled something, and smacked the spatula on the counter while also screaming \"damnit!\". For a while after that, I thought that the thing dad used to flip the pancakes was called a damnit!

-Matt

I used to think that 9 was 6 and 6 was 9 (and no, I wasn\'t familiar with Jimi Hendrix\'s music at the time) and that they were switched when I was around 4 years old without my consultation.

Originally posted by PegaZus
    Hmmm... I don\'t have anything really misunderstood from a child, but I do have one that I just didn\'t notice.

The Beatles.

I only realized the joke when I was in my late twenties. Don\'t recall exactly when I finally saw that it was a play on the spelling using a musical term. So I guess that counts somewhat.
    Well there you go... I\'m 37 and I only just now reading this realized the same thing about \'The Beatles\'. :drunk:

I\'m completely at a loss as to what Shawn R. L. means about Santa. He still comes here every year. :drunk:

When I was telling a mistruth my dad would \'become possessed\' by the \'magic devil\' who always knew I wasn\'t telling the truth and would convince me that if I did not come clean he would take over. Dad would then snap out of the possession and I would confess. I don\'t remember how long I fell for that but it was longer than I\'d like to admit. I also don\'t know what kind of permanent damage was done to my psyche with that one but as a parent... Hey it worked.

No, I haven\'t used the \'magic devil\' with my kids. :drunk:

Spaghetti grew on trees... When my siblings and I were kids my parents kept this going as long as possible, long beyond where we\'d started to question it.

Originally posted by Shawn R. L.
    So THAT\'s what the sound barrier looks like!!lollol
    Total classic!

Einion

I always thought the black market was just a market at night.

And my parents used to tell me that the alarm sensor in the living room (small white box in the corner of the ceiling which lights up red when it detects movement) was one on Santa\'s security cameras and everytime the light was on an elf was watching.

I can\'t think of any PERSONAL ones right now, but...

The front of our house has an extension, and whilst it was being built, my sister and bro-in-law came round with my nephews, Harry and Luke.

Luke I think was still only 1 or 2, but Harry must have been about 4 or 5, and when he saw all the building he asked

\"Nanny, are you building that house for me?\"

So from then on, the extension has been known as \"Harry\'s house\"

When I was a wee boy, my Dad somehow held a cigarette lighter up behind his hand, and made it look to me like he was \'lighting his thumb\'.

He told me he had to do it once a day, otherwise it would explode.

Sometimes, I\'d ask for him to do it during the day, and he\'d say, \'Oh, I did it this morning\'.
    Once in a great while he\'d do it again for me.

I caught on after a while, but it was only because my wife told me it was just a trick....
    ;)

A few years back, during a long car trip, I had convinced my kids (and somewhat gullible wife) that there was a 27th letter of the alphabet, called the Zoublya. I told them they used it, but it was eventually cancelled in the 50\'s because it was redundant. I even had a little symbol for it. I told them it was used whenever there was a \'double z\' sound like at the end of BUZZ. I told them I even saw it on some old typewriters!

Eventually, my wife figured out I was fibbing....but it was fun while it lasted!

OH! I just remembered another one.

Before we moved out to the farm, my dad would take us to the \'tractor supply store\' here in town. They sold tools and other implements, and he was always after something.

We were city kids then but he would always tell us before we went in, that city folk wasn\'t allowed in there, and we\'d have to \'act\' like we were farmers, otherwise they\'d kick us out.

I was always scared to death the salesperson was going to see through our \'act\' and kick us out.

Originally posted by MPJ
    Originally posted by PegaZus

The Beatles.

Well there you go... I\'m 37 and I only just now reading this realized the same thing about \'The Beatles\'. :drunk:
    it has been a very long week. please explain!!

the only one i can think of is my parent\'s telling me that cornish tin mines were treacle mines. having tried treacle and found the black stuff to be pretty foul, i could totally undertand, after all salt comes from rocks so why not?! ironically, i have challenged everything my parents have told me. that was the only thing i didn\'t. never thought about it \'till i was about 14 (sadly) and then thought \'what?!\'

Beat - les

I know I have a ton of these, but for some reason nothing is popping into my head except this one:

When I was 5 or 6 we went up north to visit relatives who live out in the \'bush\'. The town we were in was further north then any train goes and the population was 18, it was real backwater. One of the things I was going to get to do on the trip was catching rabbits. So the catching day comes and my older cousin and I head out on his snomobile, and I start pointing out Rabbits in the bush. My cousin just laughs as I keep pointing them out. Eventually we get to where the traps were set. Here I find out that we aren\'t catching rabbits as in catching live ones and bringing them home to pet, we were emptying the traps so we could eat dinner that night.

That reminds me of one of my childhood sillies, Gilvan. There\'s a market area in Toronto where you can get a lot of ethnic and exotic foods. When I was a kid they still sold small live animals they would butcher after the customer made his choice. I thought they were to be pets, and when my dad explained differently I told him food chicken came from the factory wrapped in plastic. It\'s probably not too surprising I eventually became a vegetarian.

Hmm. Let\'s see.

I remember thinking that a diet meant not eating something. So a vegetable diet
    meant no vegetables. Boy, was I disappointed!

Grandma\'s chocolate chip cookies were the best in the world. Oh, wait. That\'s
    still true. Nothing\'s topped them yet. Not even my own.

A lottery ticket that didn\'t win on March 15, 1978 might not be good now, but
    Dad could use it again on the next March 15, 1978. That made my dad laugh.

$10 was a HUUUUUGE amount of money, and the bestest birthday present ever.
    Now, it\'s a pack of smokes.

When my neices were little (don\'t know why it worked this way) I would take the TV remote, push the button to change the channel and there was about a 3 second pause between pushing the button and the channel actually turning (don\'t know why it worked this way). I would push the button on the sly then take my hands and as though casting a spell would command the TV to change channels - BINK!! channel changes and their eyes turned to saucers!! lol

Gotta say, I don\'t laugh at many responses but many in this thread are priceless.lollol

Two gaming/mini related ones:

My dad used to paint minis, that\'s how I got into it. I know that\'s not odd now a days but back in the 1970s a mini paintering was an pretty damn obscure hobby. I used to think the primer coat was put on so you could handle the minis, since if you touched them without primer you would get lead poisioning.

My dad was also into Roleplaying, back in the day when it was something new. I remember as a kid flipping through one of the D&D books, Fiend Folio I think and thinking man this is adult stuff, so complicated. He also owned a copy of Marvel Super Heroes from TSR. I clearly remember my cousin trying to convince me to take it down from the games shelf and try it out when we were like 6 or 7 years old. I explained to him that it was \'adult\' stuff and we wouldn\'t undertand it. A couple years later when we finally did open it up we were shocked to realize that the \'basic rules\' were truely basic, and we could have discovered roleplaying even earlier.

I just thought of one my wife told me that is amusing, though a little contrary to this thread. She\'s an avid reader and always has been. As a kid she \'had\' to read all the classics and used to read stuff like Asimov for fun. As a kid she would get to all the science stuff and just assume that she wasn\'t supposed to understand it as she was a kid, so she just read the story bits, and loved them. Going back as an adult with a plan to re-read these classics, she quickly found that the math and science still made no sense and actully ruined the books for her, as she spent so long trying to figure them out, she lost the story.