What do you use for paint storage with some utility?

Thread: What do you use for paint storage with some utility?

Default What do you use for paint storage with some utility?

I\'m currently looking for a nice little device to put my paints in, specifically my P3 set, that allows me to store them while making it very easy to find a specific color I want without having to dig through a plastic container. I\'d also like to be able to transport it too.

I heard those \"Paint Painter Organizers\" were pretty cool. Basically it\'s on the same principle as a lazy susan and it rotates while keeping a nice open display of the paints.

I\'m just curious, before I drop about $35 on this device, what anyone else uses and if there\'s a cheaper alternative?

Jake

Official Freak Bar Witch wiccanpony's Avatar

I have a couple of those Paint Organizers and the only problem I have had is reaching in the back or center to get paint bottles, I tend to knock a few bottles over and have to tidy up all the time.

The Paintiers are pretty handy for desk paint storage, but if you\'d like something that\'ll double for transport I recommend you go look at various Artbin and Plano storage solutions and see if any of them suit. Stores like Target and Walmart will have some Plano, Joann\'s has Artbin and some Plano, and if you have a Container Store near you you\'re bound to find something that would work there.

For the Plano cases, I assume you mean a lot like the tackle boxes? I have nice big one I don\'t use anymore, but I\'m not sure how they\'d all fit. I do like the Painter though, the only draw back is that they\'re a little pricey, but it\'ll go a long way to keep my work area tidy. Thanks for the suggestion though :)

Oh for a tidy work area I\'d definitely go with a Paintier first. It displays the paints really nicely so it\'s easy to find the one you\'re looking for. I store in-progress minis mounted on old paint pot olders on the top tier and other stuff on the top and interiors to keep it safe from my cat.

But you mentioned wanting something you could use to transport paint, also. There might be tackle boxes that would work, but I was more thinking of something like what Reaper sells their
    paint sets in. I\'m pretty sure this is just a container manufactured by Plano or a similar company that Reaper repackages their paints into. (I know they do their Pro Paints in the same case, but I think they\'re out of stock on them right now so I couldn\'t find a picture. Pro Paints are pot paints like P3.)

I\'ve seen similar things in Joann\'s, and if you\'ve never been to a Container Store it\'s a truly mind-boggling array of storage options. Stuff like these drawer organizers might be another option to look at.

I use a Plano extra deep stowaway box for my Paints. Keeps them all nice and secure for storage and transport, plus it fits the Vallejo Model Color bottle size with ease. each row holds 26 bottles and with 4 rows that\'s at least 100 bottles. Since i don\'t have that many i use it to also hold my brushs i\'m using, paper clips and assorted things i use all the time. bets of all, only about $8 a box.

Plano Extra Deep Stowaway

I have a heavy duty metal toolbox. It\'s got two locking drawers. I store all my main GW paints in both of those. The top also unlocks, and in the top level I store basing materials, a palette, and a sheet of foam with miniatures in it.

This is only really useful since I go to a couple different game stores once in a while to run painting classes / attempt social activity. lol

One of the local game stores (Game Depot, for those who live in AZ) was kind enough to give me their old GW paint rack. I have that on my painting desk stocked with all of my backup GW paints, Vallejo, Old GW paints, Rackham, some Reaper, and P3. Needless to say I have a lot of paint. :D

One little trick I like to do is to paint the top of each bottle with the color that\'s inside it. That way, I can store all my paints upright and still see what color it is from above.

-Matt

Blog Entries

I use the CNC workshop paint racks for everything but vallejo. They\'re great! Easy to build (but do take a little time but maybe that\'s me - I like to make sure they\'re done right).

Here\'s a pic:

I remember reading about a new Vallejo wrack too... *searches*

http://www.miniaturicum.de/index.php?infoBox=1&cPath=723

Whoa that is sexy... *cough*

Originally posted by Arma
    I use the CNC workshop paint racks for everything but vallejo.
    hey arma do you know if they have a USA dist.?
    i was actually measuring up my bottles to make one myself but geez those looks good. (looks like they fit the dripper bottles now also oh
    and very nice setup.

Blog Entries

COG:

I\'m not sure, mate. I bit the bullet in the end and ordered mine direct from Australia. I think Warstore AND FRPGames have them in stock though..!

Arma I have to say you\'re not a \"real painter\"................Everything is too well organised. lol
    You been taking lessons from Donna, the \"Queen of Neat\"?

Blog Entries

@DR:

Haha I tidied up a little for the pic. I have to keep it tidy since I\'m living with my GFs parents right now...

I need to take a leaf out of Shaun\'s book... it\'s only a matter of time before his pic surfaces again!

Originally posted by Arma
    Here\'s a pic:

Sure you have enough light there buddy? :D

Einion

Blog Entries

Haha I take my pics on there too (When I actually have minis worth taking pics off). Those curtains in the back open all the way round too so I get a fair bit of sunlight in there.

i\'d highly recommend this one from hobbycraft:

hold just about everything, has a handle and the drawers need to be pressed to open so they wont spill all the contents everywhere. the drawers are just the right sixe to just fit in a vallejo bottle standing up (although i have had to label the tops

Originally posted by Dragonsreach
    Arma I have to say you\'re not a \"real painter\"................Everything is too well organised. lol
    Haha, oh boy after reading through this thread, I actually got up and cleaned my work area up quite a bit; I can actually see \"desk\" again!

Thanks for the suggestions, I\'ll look through some stuff online. I do like the CNC racks :)

Originally posted by redarmy27
    Originally posted by Dragonsreach
    Haha, oh boy after reading through this thread, I actually got up and cleaned my work area up quite a bit; I can actually see \"desk\" again!

Thanks for the suggestions, I\'ll look through some stuff online. I do like the CNC racks :)

yup yup
    i have to \"clean \" mine about once a month just for keep it clean. (though it might be the dumb minis i keep buying and haveing to clean :( )
    i also need to get more of the ready to paint minis off my desk. makes it easier to paint when i see al that money sitting around collecting dust.:D

oh and ty for the info ARma

i use a random tapestry thread box thats had the legs taken off it that i was given by a freind clearing out her garage, it could do with a bit more room now my paint collection has expanded but its got a big handle on the top and it works a treat for transport