george carlin, dead at 71

Thread: george carlin, dead at 71

Default george carlin, dead at 71

i just saw on msn that george carlin died of heart failure...
    he was one funny mofo, and had a long run...
    i\'ll twist one up, put on one of his old shows, and laugh my ass off tonight..

cheers
    jah

Sad to see him go. =(

Frankly, I\'m a little impressed that he made it to 71 but one of the greats has passed.

YOUR DOING IT ALL WRONG!!!!
    lol:drunk:
    gawd
    that sucks to hear
    RIP

Sadly, I doubt that many people will know who he is/was outside of the USA other than in the Bill & Ted movies which is a shame. His humour and slightly askew approach to life have appealled to me for a while.

However people will know some of his more memorable quotations:

\"The real reason that we can\'t have the Ten Commandments in a courthouse: You cannot post \"Thou shalt not steal\", Thou shalt not commit adultery\" and \"Thou shalt not lie\" in a building full of lawyers, judges and politicians. It creates a hostile work environment.\"

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live”

Atheism is a non-prophet organisation.

Honesty may be the best policy, but it\'s important to remember that apparently, by elimination, dishonesty is the second-best policy.

Thanks George for helping to keep the reality check going.

And his appearances in Dogma and Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back, as Cardinal Glick and the old hitch-hiker, respectively.

One of my favourites.

Pulled some other quotes (and I hope they REALLY are his) as an homage:

When someone is impatient and says, \"I haven\'t got all day,\" I always wonder, How can that be? How can you not have all day?

Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?

\"I am\" is reportedly the shortest sentence in the English language. Could it be that \"I do\" is the longest sentence?

Men are from Earth, women are from Earth. Deal with it.

There\'s no present. There\'s only the immediate future and the recent past.

The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, you know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I\'m just not close enough to get the job done.

Death is caused by swallowing small amounts of saliva over a long period of time.

I think it\'s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.

Always do whatever\'s next.

By and large, language is a tool for concealing the truth.

Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity.

If it\'s true that our species is alone in the universe, then I\'d have to say the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little.

And finally:
    I\'m always relieved when someone is delivering a eulogy and I realize I\'m listening to it.

Blog Entries

Just saw this this morning. What a downer.

Course my favorite quote from him is

\"Whenever someone asks me how I\'m doing I say \'I\'m not moderately unwell, thank you\' - it makes them think about my answer.\"

I loved that guy. So ruthless and cynical, yet so true. Here\'s farewell to \"Uncle\" George.

So, how long til we can replace his shit with our stuff? lol

(edit: And I say that with all respect, and believe George would get a kick out of it)

Heh. Have you heard his routine about he and Richard Pryor’s competition?

\"I had a heart attack so Richard thought he had to have one too. So I had another heart attack then Richard had another one, after my third heart attack Richard said F*ck that and that\'s when he set himself on fire\".

Good stuff.

Ah it is sad to have heard about his passing. But on the other hand i\'m sure George was shocked he made it this far, knowing his humor. I think in memory of him i might tell a stranger what i think, just to give them a reality check. George will be missed.

He\'s one of those guys that I\'m not overly familar with, however it\'s obvious that he was (deservedly) one of our best comedians and a legend in his own right. RIP.

George has long been america\'s answer to our own self deluiting habits. Someone to see things for what they truly are. Only by pushing beyond the line, do we really know where the line is.

We are all a little dumber today than we were yesterday. :(

Mr. Carlin you will be missed. At least by me.

Coffin Dodger / Keymaster airhead's Avatar

Originally posted by darthfoley
    So, how long til we can replace his shit with our stuff? lol

(edit: And I say that with all respect, and believe George would get a kick out of it)
    Now we gotta get a bigger place - so we can store more stuff. lol

And the \"7 things you cannot say on TV\" is still one of the best.

Been looking around for some more quotes and the best by far I know (and one I\'m using as a theme for some mini\'s):

\"There are nights when the wolves are silent and only the moon howls.”

I\'ve seen this attribited to George Carlin once but can\'t find any concrete evidence:

It\'s not the number of breaths you take which define your life, but the moments that take your breath away

This makes me incredibly sad. Yes, I am German but I still know him and his comedy. There will never be new George Carlin material.

Still, pretty good age he got there, considering all the drugs he took...

... that\'s because he swam in raw shit! Strengthened his immune system ;)

Here\'s to a brilliant comedian and hell of a philosopher. :drunk:
    RIP George