Nanny state........... - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Nanny state...........

Perhaps they want to go from one hole in the salt shakers to zero. That would certainly limit salt intake.

Originally posted by Shawn R. L.
    I HATE smoking----------it REALLY stinks and it stinks up MY cloths. That said, I am REALLY bothered how the gov. keeps creeping further and further into OUR lives and REGULATING us. Now smoking is not only relegated to out doors but there are actually lines painted on the sidewalk in a 20ft. radius around doorways - you have to be beyond this line to smoke.:flame:
    Well as a non smoker I\'m not really objecting to this.
    I have no problem with smokers themselves, it\'s the attitude of some blocking all access ways to a building and having to run a gauntlet of foul smelling poison.
    It doesn\'t take a great deal of time or effort to do what Chris (generulpoleaxe) does and make sure that there is clear space for people.

Neither would it hurt for employers to provide somewhere for people to smoke. It is, after all, a perfectly legal activity which many still indulge in. Blame employers and business owners, not the smokers.

It\'s either a legal activity and tolerated, or you make it illegal. It\'s that simple for me.

If fat people were treated like smokers, there\'d be an uproar! Actually, that\'s not a bad idea: force them to eat their grub in the pishing rain and freezing cold! At least they\'d burn more calories trying to keep warm! :D

Originally posted by Dragon Forge Design
    Ever since they took away all the proper cooking oils for restaurants, you can no longer get a crisp French fry or pastry anymore.. Everything is all soggy with in minutes :mad:
    huh???

Originally posted by Spacemunkie

If fat people were treated like smokers, there\'d be an uproar! Actually, that\'s not a bad idea: force them to eat their grub in the pishing rain and freezing cold! At least they\'d burn more calories trying to keep warm! :D
    Yeah, because that would be great for those with thyroid problems. glandular disorders, or bad genetics.
    Hell, while we\'re at it let\'s force them to have separate drinking fountains, ride in the back of the bus, wear little armbands, etc...
    We\'ve become so much more tolerant through the decades haven\'t we?

it\'s basicly people within power trying to remove our rights.
    it\'s one thing at a time with them, and whn they fail they just reword the bill and get it through another way.

take the car tagging for instance, the UK goverment failed to get it put through yet various local goverments are trying to implement it with the congestion charges they are bringing in.

\"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron\'s cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.\"
    - C.S. Lewis

\"Bad the crow, bad the egg.\"

\"Don\'t throw the baby out with the bathwater. \"

:innocent:

Blog Entries

But at least your education system is rewarding people -

http://www.metro.co.uk/news/article.html?in_article_id=197100&in_page_id=34&De rrr

Painted over the \"thank you for shopping at tesco\" sign at the local one, in big black letters is \"**** of\". Couldnt even spell off correctly :rolleyes:

The sooner we have a violent and bloody coup the better.

Originally posted by Evil Dave

Yeah, because that would be great for those with thyroid problems. glandular disorders, or bad genetics.
    Hell, while we\'re at it let\'s force them to have separate drinking fountains, ride in the back of the bus, wear little armbands, etc...
    We\'ve become so much more tolerant through the decades haven\'t we?
    Wow didn\'t take long for fat people to be compared to smokers there while we\'re at it ban the gays, lesbians, anorexics, bulemics and the jews hell why not ban anyone who isn\'t \"normal\". Actually hang on a minute i still have my pitchfork haven\'t had a good witch burning/hanging in a while. Jeez

It was a (very....) tongue in cheek comment, but it raises a serious point: where do you allow your authorities to draw a line in the sand with what is and is not acceptable for people to do with their own bodies? There is a case to argue that many addicts have a genetic pre-disposition to addiction. Drug addicts are shunned whilst fat people are protected because it might be their \'glands\'??!

The double standards annoy me somewhat.

Originally posted by Multifracture
    Wow didn\'t take long for fat people to be compared to smokers there...
    Yes, because we\'re talking (mainly) about addiction. Amazing how you want to defend one set of addicts, whilst shunning another. Both are putting a massive strain on NHS resources and YOUR taxes. You could argue that the smokers might sleep a little more easily at night considering the premium they pay in tax on tobacco....

No, I don\'t smoke....

On a lighter note, has anyone seen that Ricky Gervais \'Fame\' vid? Laughed so hard it almost made me wee.

\"It\'s not a disease!!\" :D

It was a (very....) tongue in cheek comment, but it raises a serious point: where do you allow your authorities to draw a line in the sand with what is and is not acceptable for people to do with their own bodies? There is a case to argue that many addicts have a genetic pre-disposition to addiction. Drug addicts are shunned whilst fat people are protected because it might be their \'glands\'??!

The double standards annoy me somewhat.
    I\'ll take a double standard with extra cheese and bacon, please.

This reminds me of the guy here in Kalifornia who tried to get Oreo cookies banned because they were fattening. His argument was that it had oils that were particularly bad for the heart - as if the rest of the world thinks that an oily chocolate and cream cookie is health food.

Originally posted by evil tendencies
    This reminds me of the guy here in Kalifornia who tried to get Oreo cookies banned because they were fattening. His argument was that it had oils that were particularly bad for the heart - as if the rest of the world thinks that an oily chocolate and cream cookie is health food.
    I\'d get them banned because they are vile.
    Same with Hershey bars. They taste like sewage smells.:|~

Wow didn\'t take long for fat people to be compared to smokers there...
    Yes, because we\'re talking (mainly) about addiction. Amazing how you want to defend one set of addicts, whilst shunning another. Both are putting a massive strain on NHS resources and YOUR taxes. You could argue that the smokers might sleep a little more easily at night considering the premium they pay in tax on tobacco....

No, I don\'t smoke....

On a lighter note, has anyone seen that Ricky Gervais \'Fame\' vid? Laughed so hard it almost made me wee.

\"It\'s not a disease!!\" :D
    you know what this attitude sickens me i was bullied to the point where i put myself into a diabetic coma due to my weight and its because people have this massive problem with \"fat\" people. Absoultely sickens me. Smoking is a choice when you\'re diabetic, hyperglycemic, have an overactive thyroid gland etc how the hell is that a choice? Its like saying people who have cancer shouldn\'t have gone near overhead pylons.

I\'m posting this as a last post screw you all

you know what this attitude sickens me i was bullied to the point where i put myself into a diabetic coma due to my weight and its because people have this massive problem with \"fat\" people. Absoultely sickens me. Smoking is a choice when you\'re diabetic, hyperglycemic, have an overactive thyroid gland etc how the hell is that a choice? Its like saying people who have cancer shouldn\'t have gone near overhead pylons.

I\'m posting this as a last post screw you all
    Bullying is wrong - it\'s not something that I condone in any way.

I do, however, take issue with some of your comments. Smoking is a choice. Yep. Eating is also a choice. What you eat is also a choice. Exercising is a choice too. I\'m sympathetic where a person\'s obesity is not caused by gluttony, but the simple fact is that for the MAJORITY of people this is not the case. Diabetes can also be a symptom of obesity and lack of exercise.

Think of it this way: There is a national epidemic of childhood obesity. It\'s nothing to do with disease or genetics. It\'s caused by eating too much of the wrong food types and not exercising enough. That\'s more kids who will possibly find themselves in the position you found yourself in. If we don\'t address the problem, how can we try to solve it?