Where to buy brushes in the UK

Thread: Where to buy brushes in the UK

Default Where to buy brushes in the UK

having done a search for what people think are the best brushes atm, I wondered where the UK CMONers bought from?

I\'m struggling to find somewhere online with a good range through google, can somebody help?

I think I\'ll pick up some davinci or raphael in a size 1, as an alternative to a few very poor W&N S7\'s i\'ve used of late.

hope you\'re all well.

rev

donga666

Super cheap and super good! Excellent quality and kolinsky Sable :D

http://www.rosemaryandco.com/default.htm

Series 33 & 96 are both in my painting draw.

Ken Bromley\'s prices are pretty good* and they also do their own line of brushes you might like to try if you\'re ordering anyway.

Within the UK you could also try Art Express, ArtDiscount and The SAA.

*Not compared to American sites - given the strength of the pound and the weakness of the US$ you might want to consider ordering from Dick Blick, even with shipping it could still work out cheaper; I have an artist friend who lives in London and every now and again she buys in bulk from them and has mentioned it works out at a slight saving (even when hit with import duty).

Einion

Donga - what material is the 96 made of I can\'t find it. Wat sizes do you own?

Einion - Thanks for the links.

If I was to buy a selection of size 0 or size 1\'s for mini painting, what would be the shortlist you\'d go for (aside from the ubiquitous S7 W&N)

rev

http://www.greatart.co.uk/ try here, ive got some stuff from them before and they are really good

Before I went over to Rosemary & Co brushes I too used mainly size 0 and 1 brushes. However, now that the Kolinsky Sable series 33 is my work horse, my favourite size is 2. The brush has a fat body to act as reservoir for paint, yet still holds a wonderfully precise point.

P.S. I cannot find 96 either. Presumably it\'s a typo.

i wouldnt buy a brush that i havent seen and tried in the flesh

Originally posted by freakinacage
    i wouldnt buy a brush that i havent seen and tried in the flesh
    Nor would I. I actually get all my brushes at a sewing shop and not a true hobby supply store. All in all it just depends on what you like... But either way I still wouldn\'t buy online.

I\'ve found that the Hobbycraft closest to me sells W&N Series 7. Not the cheapest brush in the world, but well worth it. They actually sell a very good range of sable brushes

Pete

Originally posted by Queenoftheunifrogs
    http://www.greatart.co.uk/ try here, ive got some stuff from them before and they are really good
    Service from them is not that good and they can be a bit pricey I usually use Ken Bromley He normally has some good deals going on brushes as well as oils and other stuff.

sg2009

Originally posted by RuneBrush
    I\'ve found that the Hobbycraft closest to me sells W&N Series 7. Not the cheapest brush in the world, but well worth it. They actually sell a very good range of sable brushes

Pete
    me to

if there is a hobby craft near you then they do sell a lot of good quality brushes, thats wear i get my W&N brushes from.

Originally posted by War Griffon
    Service from them is not that good and they can be a bit pricey I usually use Ken Bromley He normally has some good deals going on brushes as well as oils and other stuff.
    i have always had good service from them and the raphael 8404 series is cheaper and imo better than w+n series 7.

Originally posted by generulpoleaxe
    Originally posted by War Griffon
    i have always had good service from them and the raphael 8404 series is cheaper and imo better than w+n series 7.
    Yes they are very friendly and helpful.
    Plus they are in Bolton, less than 15 minutes from my house.
    (If I can support a local business I prefer to do so.)

ken bromley are good but they don\'t do raphael brushes which have a far more reliable quality control than w+n 7\'s.
    the raphael last longer for me as well.

STILL not bought lol, might give the raphael 8404 series a try if people like it.

rev

EDIT - there are 3 diff types of tip, what is recommended?

rev