Syupid Question That Has Doubtless Been Asked Before

Thread: Syupid Question That Has Doubtless Been Asked Before

Default Syupid Question That Has Doubtless Been Asked Before

OKay, I despise gloss finishes to minis. I stopped using GW paints cos I found them to be a bit plasticy-looking. The problem is that even when using a matte spray coat I still get a slight gloss.

What is the best sealent to use to get an ultra-matte finish.

Thanks. :)

On a side note, this is my first post to the forums here. I\'ve posted some dreadful old mini pics, but CMoN and the stellar work here has really inspired me to start painting again and to do a much better job of it. :D

Blog Entries

Beyond a doubt, the best ultra flat top coat I\'ve ever used in 20 + years of doing this is the semi mythical Testors Dullcote. The problem is getting it outside the Good Ole USA.

Originally posted by steelcult
    Beyond a doubt, the best ultra flat top coat I\'ve ever used in 20 + years of doing this is the semi mythical Testors Dullcote. The problem is getting it outside the Good Ole USA.
    Thanks. It should be available in Canada. Is it a spray or a brush-on?

doesn\'t testors make certain colors run though? I have a spray can of the stuff, but am afraid to use it because of this.

Blog Entries

@Sulaco - Spray can.

@Dennismech - I\'ve used it on damn near every kind of paint except artist oils and never had it bleed - I had it knock the shine out of metalics (which was a nice if unexpected effect) but never had it bleed.

hey ya sulaco. Welcome to the forums. ;)

I second the use of Testor\'s Dullcoat. I\'ve used it nearly exclusively for two years. It can even cut the gloss of an ink wash. The only problem that I\'ve had with it is when I spray a figure before the superglue dried after adding static grass -- they react and the resulting mixture turns white.

I\'ve also used the brush-on, but I prefer the spray. (I use testor\'s glosscoat to paint wet areas like tongues and eyes.)

Originally posted by DennisMech
    doesn\'t testors make certain colors run though? I have a spray can of the stuff, but am afraid to use it because of this.
    When I have used testors it has made purple paints run on occasion, especially gw shades of purple. The trick to solving this is to apply either gloss brush or spray on sealer to create a non-runny layer, you should let this cure as directed before applying the dullcote.

<begin edit>

Here is a link to the previous discussion of matte varnish:

varnish discussion

<end edit>

Default Test it...

Originally posted by DennisMech
    Paint up a bit of sprue, whatever and check it out. Half the fun of this hobby is either:

a) rigorous scientific testing and experimentation, or

b)Chuck it and chance it :D with the possibility of either a wonderful discovery or a catastrophic disaster:bouncy:

I\'m having the same problems with GW\'s \"matt\" varnish.....can any Brits tell me what they use as an alternative? thx

I used the Testors matte coat for about two years, until I discovered that the whites were starting to yellow with age. I ended up switching to Windsor & Newton\'s Matte Varnish. It goes on very smooth and very flat. The nozzle is much easier on my trigger finger too.:rolleyes:

I think I\'m just going to go ahead with testors, since I have a can already at hand. I don\'t use the GW purples anyway, and it\'s very relieving that it can even dull inks, as I have a mini that really needs it!

@katamaran: homestarrunner!

I was just offering the purples as an example that testors does make some paints bleed.. I\'d probably do what finn said and test it on something like painted sprues first to see the results. Heh, I use vallejo almost exclusively now.

Coffin Dodger / Keymaster airhead's Avatar

Default Brush-on DulCoat

Sulaco, welcome to the dark side. lol

I have used brush-on DulCoat for the last 20+ years. Yes, it will run some colors (testors oil-based metalics)

I have often wondered if minwax clear polyurathane would work. You can get a quart of it for the price of a couple of oz. of hobby stuff. Volunteers? :o

Pete, anything will do that to CA glues that are not fully cured. Especially moisture. That\'s why it cures in the bottle once you open it, no matter what you do. Humidity gets in the bottle - curing process starts.