Theft of recyclables -

Thread: Theft of recyclables -

Blog Entries

Default Theft of recyclables -

http://www.cnn.com/2008/LIVING/wayoflife/07/16/stealing.recycling.ap/index.html

I guess its ok for someone else to get the money for your recyclable materials if its the government, right?

Coffin Dodger / Keymaster airhead's Avatar

all those people complaining could take their stuff down to the center and make the few bucks themselves.

Me, I set mine out and let them come get it.

Airhead is right, if they want to complain they should take the stuff to the center themselves and make a few bucks. I\'ve seen this happening for most of my life, trucks pull up out back of a grocery store, apt complex and the like, pilfer the trash and sell it. The recyclable theft that angers me is what\'s getting bad in AZ. People have stolen copper statues from homes, wires and in one case stole the copper pipes from a grade school, shutting it down for several days.

Coffin Dodger / Keymaster airhead's Avatar

rereading, I don\'t think the property owners are as mad about them getting the recylables as they are about the mess they leave.

Pull up and dig out all the stuff they don\'t want to get the stuff they do. (scatter all the plastic to get to the glass & aluminum) The county recyle truck then comes around, but won\'t pick up the scattered plastic. That leave the poor homeowner with a mess to clean up and his plastic still for next week\'s round two.

Blog Entries

What gets me is the fines from the cities - cause the cities are getting a payback for the program of course.

Blog Entries

Originally posted by steelcult
    What gets me is the fines from the cities - cause the cities are getting a payback for the program of course.
    In our area, recycling is free. I would assume those trucks are free because the material they haul off has some value.

Blog Entries

It may be free to you, but the cities probably have a contract with the haulers for a percentage of the take - otherwise they wouldn\'t do it -

Here trash pick up is Tuesday morning so Monday night about 9PM an old guy and wife drive up and down the streets with an old pick up and pick up all the metal items people have sitting out. But they don\'t touch the recycling bins people put out as they and their contents belong to the trash pick up company.

For a while we had problems where a couple of \"Good ol boys\" were coming through about 2 am and dumping everyones recycling bins to get the aluminum..Police put an end to that real quick. As recycling pick up is about 2 PM in the afternoon I put my bin out in the morning.

But now Aluminum is closing in on $.80 cents a pound here.. thats about 25 soda cans.. so it dont take long to make some quick money.

I say recycling is recycling. I don\'t care who does it. Just make sure it is coming from legitimate sources. I have been told that a lot of \"recyclables\" in Australia are actually burnt off anyway.
    A group of people have been vandalising level crossing for the copper in them. This obviously makes the crossings very dangerous (they don\'t close) or very frustrating (they don\'t open). A couple of shipments have been caught before they shipped for china, but still a lot more goes out of the country.

Well lets face it a lot of us on here are to a greater extent \"Recyclers\" as I have seen so much reclaimed and reused materials in Dioramas, Golden Deamon entries and whatnots.
    And I\'m just as \"Guilty\" of reclaiming what looks like scrap to be used in SO Many projects. :rolleyes:
    Pity they never get off the ground \'so to speak\'.